Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Professional Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: How happy are you with your actuarial job?
5 - Love - Only been an Actuary 35 12.07%
4 - Like - Only been an Actuary 74 25.52%
3 - Content - Only been an Actuary 60 20.69%
2 - Dislike - Only been an Actuary 22 7.59%
1 - Hate - Only been an Actuary 2 0.69%
5 - Love - Career Changer 26 8.97%
4 - Like - Career Changer 33 11.38%
3 - Content - Career Changer 22 7.59%
2 - Dislike - Career Changer 4 1.38%
1 - Hate - Career Changer 3 1.03%
I am not an actuary or haven't held a position long enough to have a solid opinion. 9 3.10%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2017, 02:51 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinwr View Post
Wow this makes me really hopeful. I'm a soon-to-be career changer. I certainly have gripes about my current field. It seems like the vast majority of career-changers enjoy actuarial work.
depends what they changed from
Old 04-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Non-Actuary

College: University of Houston-Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
depends what they changed from
I'm in oil and gas. Almost no one that I work with has a college degree. They're good enough people, but can be very unprofessional at times. My office is inside of a refinery. Honestly I think that just going to a real office and wearing a tie would make me happier lol. I earn a decent living, but I would happily take less money to get a start in actuarial work. About to take exam p.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:47 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
I ran this thread based on hearing a few AO'ers complaining about their actuarial job. (My life sucks, I don't make enough, etc etc) It appeared that most of these people had never held a job in another field and I felt they were being ungrateful. I ran this poll expecting career changers to have a higher appreciation for their job, which even though they did come out ahead, it was closer than expected. However, this poll doesn't give all the details as people can like/dislike their job for completely different reasons.

I start my job tomorrow and I'm aware it won't be all butterflies and flowers, but I am grateful I'll be making 3x what I did as a graduate student working 40 hours instead of 60-80.

-Riley
So, perspective changed?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM
CAS

Studying for CAS Exam 8

I've only been an actuary and I am rating my job at a 3 right now. Definitely downward bias from the fact that I have an exam in two weeks. Outside of studying it would be more like a 4.

ACAS: 5, 6, OC1, OC2, PC

FCAS: 7, 8, 9
Old 04-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
So, perspective changed?
Nope.

Actuaries are very fortunate to be making the money they do. If you enjoy insurance, actuarial work is a great place to be for the work/life/money balance.

(I didn't vote in the original poll, but if I voted after my first actuarial job it would probably have been a 4.)

-Riley

Map of Actuarial Hiring Companies

Last edited by whoanonstop; 04-22-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Old 04-23-2017, 08:58 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinwr View Post
I'm in oil and gas. Almost no one that I work with has a college degree. They're good enough people, but can be very unprofessional at times. My office is inside of a refinery. Honestly I think that just going to a real office and wearing a tie would make me happier lol. I earn a decent living, but I would happily take less money to get a start in actuarial work. About to take exam p.
Why not become a gas trader? Shouldn't be too hard to start scheduling gas somewhere, then work your way up to the options desk. You're already in Houston. And if you hate trading, having some front office experience combined with refinery experience should position you reasonably well for management rotations if it turns out you hate trading. At least you will have booked some time running your own P&L.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Non-Actuary

Interesting statistics. And it looks visually pleasing that mostly people are satisfied with what they are doing. Cause there is no perfect job, you are the only one who may make it perfect for yourself!