Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2016 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 08-02-2017, 10:26 AM
CAS

Studying for FM
College: 1st Year Undergraduate
Favorite beer: Darker the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
For the most part, on Friday, selling off a good deal of what was in my taxable account (now that it's long-term).

I'm mostly cash. Paid off my car note ($20k @ 4%). No debt. Main market exposure is my current company 401k (like 15% of net worth).

Also in HDV (high-div fund) and FAGIX (Fidelity corporate bond fund) inside a Roth, another 15% or so combined.

I know it's silly but both the equity and housing markets seem overvalued af right now. If you believe things like Case-Schiller et al.

What are some alternatives?
I'm of the buy and hold mindset, I would recommend reinvesting in the market for the long term. Specifically Index Funds in US markets. One thing to keep in mind is even if your holdings are in US companies, many of them earn a significant portion of their revenue abroad. Investing in foreign markets directly often is not necessary and exposes you to unnecessary risk.

Take for example this report on Amazons earnings in 2016 (source: https://revenuesandprofits.com/amazo...s-2017-update/)

Quote:
Amazon Business Segments Revenues 2016

Of the $136.0 billion of total net sales in 2016, Amazon generated:
$79.8 billion, 58.7% of the total, from the North America segment;
$44.0 billion, 32.3% of the total, from the International segment; and
$12.2 billion, 9.0% of the total, from the Amazon Web Services (AWS) segment.
That being said many people feel it's beneficial to directly invest abroad. If you go this route I would still recommend low expense index funds.

Also, take a look at the book linked below. Written by John Bogle, founder of the Vanguard Group. There's some great research and sound investment information detailed throughout.

http://a.co/9BqdBot

Good Luck!
CPCU (0/8)

Last edited by Algebruh; 08-02-2017 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: Added more info
Old 08-03-2017, 04:43 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebruh View Post
I'm of the buy and hold mindset, I would recommend reinvesting in the market for the long term. Specifically Index Funds in US markets. One thing to keep in mind is even if your holdings are in US companies, many of them earn a significant portion of their revenue abroad. Investing in foreign markets directly often is not necessary and exposes you to unnecessary risk.

Take for example this report on Amazons earnings in 2016 (source: https://revenuesandprofits.com/amazo...s-2017-update/)

That being said many people feel it's beneficial to directly invest abroad. If you go this route I would still recommend low expense index funds.

Also, take a look at the book linked below. Written by John Bogle, founder of the Vanguard Group. There's some great research and sound investment information detailed throughout.

http://a.co/9BqdBot

Good Luck!
Thanks. All my international investing is through commission free Fidelity funds that have pretty low expense ratios.

I've read plenty of literature suggesting diversification explicitly (i.e. not just shares in Amazon) in foreign markets. I've also got just a few grand a piece in several funds across a few regions: europe, asia exjapan, japan, latin america, emerging markets. Some are income.

Still have plenty of broad exposure to US equity through my current 401k (like $40k) and a couple etfs. Just weighing more on income now, especially in the Roth/Rollover.

I have too many retirement accounts for a 28yo
Old 09-06-2017, 01:33 PM
CAS

Studying for Calc & Stat Tutoring

SOUHY

Bought 69 @ 10.78 on 7/21
Bought 20 @ 11.865 on 8/7

Sold 89 @ 12.305 on 9/6

Made a whopping $94, but a great albeit momentary annualized return.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 AM
SOA

My small cap Russell 2000 sell signal has just killed the potential rally and it's NOT going to bounce back up at the current time.

Pull out of any investments in Russell 2000 for the time being according to my spreadsheet model. There is more risk of a deeper plunge than a buying dip. After the hurricane it may be a good buy time for US large caps and for industrial materials. Small caps if they turn around will lag the large caps.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:08 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!

I'd like to point out the market has made no gain since this thread was conceived. Also, this time of year tends to be poor for the market, seasonally.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:56 PM
CAS

Market is so high right now
Old 09-12-2017, 04:48 PM
CAS

Still in all my positions and I am glad I did not panic in late August and bought more instead.

I still don't see any catalyst for bear market. Dips are gifts IMO.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
I'd like to point out the market has made no gain since this thread was conceived. Also, this time of year tends to be poor for the market, seasonally.
I'd like to point out that the market is up 1.5% since you opened this thread on 7/17. Expecting past seasonality to repeat itself is a fallacious argument.
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
SOA

DOW hits 23K
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!

And the Shiller is higher than Black Tuesday. Granted it's a different era, and we're a ways off from the dotcom bubble, but I don't feel good about how deep in debt my generation is and how less consumeristic we're becoming. Where is all this profit coming from?

Still, I'm fairly exposed to US equity, but have diversified to be more globally focused.