Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 02-14-2018, 02:06 PM
SOA

Default Odds of getting the job after out-of-state in person interview

Let's say you're interviewing with a company that is out of state and requires some travel time to get there. You do well on the phone/Skype call and then they decide they'd like you to visit the office to meet and interview some more. What do you think the odds are of you getting a job with them if you do well with the in person interview?

They would know you're out of state and know that bringing you in is a bit of a hassle. Would they only do this if they really liked you and would probably give you the job if you do well with the interview? Or could you do well with the in person interview and still not get the job? I like to think the company wouldn't want to waste its time and the person's they're interviewing with, knowing they traveled to see them. Obviously if you do poorly in the in person interview you won't get the job, but I'm saying assume you do well.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliere View Post
Let's say you're interviewing with a company that is out of state and requires some travel time to get there. You do well on the phone/Skype call and then they decide they'd like you to visit the office to meet and interview some more. What do you think the odds are of you getting a job with them if you do well with the in person interview?

They would know you're out of state and know that bringing you in is a bit of a hassle. Would they only do this if they really liked you and would probably give you the job if you do well with the interview? Or could you do well with the in person interview and still not get the job? I like to think the company wouldn't want to waste its time and the person's they're interviewing with, knowing they traveled to see them. Obviously if you do poorly in the in person interview you won't get the job, but I'm saying assume you do well.
If someone else does better than you, you might not get an offer no matter how well you think you did. Don't count on getting an offer and keep sending out resumes.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 02-14-2018, 02:20 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I doubt anyone here knows the answer, unless someone has a comprehensive database or representative sample of candidates.

It doesn't really help you to know the answer. Just give it your best shot, and keep applying and interviewing for jobs until you get one. If they are flying in for an interview, they probably see you as capable, but you're probably competing against other people as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:21 PM
SOA

Quote:
In my experience, 3/4.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:26 PM
CAS

Studying for the Last Reformation

Quote:
Let's say you're interviewing with a company that is out of state and requires some travel time to get there. You do well on the phone/Skype call and then they decide they'd like you to visit the office to meet and interview some more. What do you think the odds are of you getting a job with them if you do well with the in person interview
It is probably the case that either:
1) The company is focused on finding the best candidate regardless of location, or
2) The company wanted to find someone local and was unable to.

In either case, I wouldn't worry about it, I would just put your best foot forward. And keep looking

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM
CAS

Quote:
Would they only do this if they really liked you and would probably give you the job if you do well with the interview?
The only reason not to bring someone in from out of state is if your opening has high demand from qualified in-state candidates. Or if your company is super cheap, I guess. Paying $600 for a plane ticket/hotel/cabs/food for an out-of-stater is peanuts compared to recruiter commissions.

Quote:
Or could you do well with the in person interview and still not get the job?
Yes. Sometimes, someone else is better. Or maybe it's a really close call between you and another candidate, but the other one already lives 5 minutes from the office, so she gets the nod. Maybe they were drafting an offer letter for you when the hiring manager got a call from his buddy who just started looking for a new job, and now he wants to hire his buddy instead.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:34 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I doubt anyone here knows the answer, unless someone has a comprehensive database or representative sample of candidates.

It doesn't really help you to know the answer. Just give it your best shot, and keep applying and interviewing for jobs until you get one. If they are flying in for an interview, they probably see you as capable, but you're probably competing against other people as well.
Wrong again!
After reviewing all the data I have, I'm going with 3-1.

Right again about the usefulness of such an accurately determined number, though.

'cause, stupid question deserves a stupid answer.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
They would know you're out of state and know that bringing you in is a bit of a hassle. Would they only do this if they really liked you and would probably give you the job if you do well with the interview?
Or could you do well with the in person interview and still not get the job? I like to think the company wouldn't want to waste its time and the person's they're interviewing with, knowing they traveled to see them. Obviously if you do poorly in the in person interview you won't get the job, but I'm saying assume you do well.
1. I've brought in candidates from out-of-state, and never have I brought one in that I didn't think was a serious candidate.
2. Coming in from out-of-state doesn't give you a leg up. As noted, it's a minor travel expense and a sunk cost at that.
3. You do need to be honest with them and with yourself about whether you want to be in that place. And if you do want to be there, you need to convince them that you either already love it, or are falling in love with it.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 PM
SOA

In my experience 2/5
Old 02-14-2018, 03:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelMustard View Post
In my experience 2/5
Did you love/pretend to be in love with the place you were visiting?