Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > Missouri University of Science & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 04-09-2019, 03:39 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Thanks for the in depth response! We live in Columbia, so we're familiar with the area. Actually considering the program where he goes to Moberley for two years, gets an Associates Degree, and then transfers all of that to S&T. It's a relatively new program, but I forget the official name.

He's on the spectrum, but high functioning, so we're a bit concerned about how he'll do living on his own, which is why we're thinking about the Moberley to S&T option. Two years of college while living at home, and then when he goes away, it's still not too far (an hour and half maybe).

Again, thanks!
Ah. I almost asked if you were also considering the Colorado Mines school, but if you're in Columbia then S&T makes a lot of sense. Seems like you have a really reasonable plan. I don't know what S&T tuition is these days but I suspect it's relatively affordable, as college goes. And yep, I think it's about 90 min on Highway 63 from Columbia to Rolla.

I love Columbia, next time I make it through I'll buy you a beer. I really want to do the Katy trail again, so I can hit up Les Bourgeois in Rocheport and the brewery in Hermann.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:55 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

We've only been here a couple years, but we've been to Hermann and Les Bougeois already, lol! Definitely happy to meet you for a beer, or maybe a visit to Trops, next time you're here.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:39 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

The STEM education is the best in the area. I was the smart kid in high school and woefully average in Rolla. Most of my friends were Comp Sci. The math program is very good because it's how they weed out engineering students (the Calculus sequence is pretty intense). It went way beyond the math requirements of most schools including requiring classes in applied science (I took theoretical physics...)

Let's just say after taking upper level stats, the ASA exams were quite easy relatively.

The career placement services and fairs are sorta useless for non-engineers, though. Still a niche school even if it's trying hard to generalize.

I'm still friends today with people I met in the dorms. If you can afford it, I think the dorm experience is helpful developmentally. The RAs get two weeks of training on interpersonal matters and that in itself is a great leadership program.

Now, while Mizzou claims to be a party school, Rolla is on a different plane. Dorms are dry (supposedly) but frats and KMNR are quite party-hardy. I knew plenty of people that didn't partake (including myself for a long time) though.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:03 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
The STEM education is the best in the area. I was the smart kid in high school and woefully average in Rolla. Most of my friends were Comp Sci. The math program is very good because it's how they weed out engineering students (the Calculus sequence is pretty intense). It went way beyond the math requirements of most schools including requiring classes in applied science (I took theoretical physics...)

Let's just say after taking upper level stats, the ASA exams were quite easy relatively.

The career placement services and fairs are sorta useless for non-engineers, though. Still a niche school even if it's trying hard to generalize.

I'm still friends today with people I met in the dorms. If you can afford it, I think the dorm experience is helpful developmentally. The RAs get two weeks of training on interpersonal matters and that in itself is a great leadership program.

Now, while Mizzou claims to be a party school, Rolla is on a different plane. Dorms are dry (supposedly) but frats and KMNR are quite party-hardy. I knew plenty of people that didn't partake (including myself for a long time) though.
You were serious? I thought you were joking about going to UMR.

Were you a member of the society of victims of engineering physics? I recall the big weed-out classes being Calc II, Diff EQ, and engineering physics, and then most majors had a really challenging class or two. Mechanics of materials, thermo, circuits.

I was discussing college tuition with a friend last night, and I looked up a few schools. Rolla is about $9k (in-state), which looks like a really big bargain compared to some other state schools I looked at.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:11 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Organic chem was a big one for some majors.

I did calc 1-3 in HS so I started in DiffEq at the ripe age of 17 haha.

I took circuits and it was tough for me to grasp at first, figuring out how to set up a solvable diff eq based on diagrams.