Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 10-06-2018, 11:48 AM
CAS

Hey guys

Just registered and starting tonight! If I can pass this we all should be able to.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:51 PM
SOA

Studying for IFM
College: UCLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe objects View Post
Finishing the ASM manual either tonight or tomorrow depending on how much brain capacity I have after work. I sit on 11/16 so hopefully ~40 days of ADAPTing will be enough. I'm more worried at this point about how much I've forgotten since I started reading.
Thanks for the update, sharpe_objects. I'm planning on taking this exam in March 2019, and wanted to know your thoughts on the ASM Manual. Other folks on the threads here had said it put them to sleep and that it was riddled with errors.

How did you like the ASM manual?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee831 View Post
Thanks for the update, sharpe_objects. I'm planning on taking this exam in March 2019, and wanted to know your thoughts on the ASM Manual. Other folks on the threads here had said it put them to sleep and that it was riddled with errors.

Please don't get the ASM manual. It is absolutely awful in my opinion. Here's why:

1. There's an error on essentially every page making it incomprehensible.
2. The concepts are in my opinion poorly explained.
3. His solutions are very difficult to follow because he does many steps on one line.

Your best bet is, from what I've seen from my studying, coaching actuaries. The CA manual and videos are phenomenal, filled with easy to understand visuals. I suggest just getting the bundle since all at once you'll get everything you could possibly need (incredible teaching, hundreds and hundreds of problems, forums for help, etc).
Old 10-11-2018, 10:36 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary13 View Post
Please don't get the ASM manual. It is absolutely awful in my opinion.
Blasted exam reworks making it tough for study material producers to keep up haha.

FWIW I'm using TIA and it's kind of meh. You can tell they just "spliced" the material that was on MFE with new content for IFM. It's not horrible but kinda tough to get through. He constantly refers to "The MFE Exam" in the videos. If coaching actuaries has fresh content for IFM and prices are similar, I would definently go for that.

At the same time I can't really complain. I just started studying a few days ago and have blown through the TIA videos (3/4 done) and plan on blowing through them a 2nd time by the 15th before doing all the SOA problems and then buying a 30 day adapt subscription to save my arse.

Benefits of being an unemployed EL candidate

P FM JOB IFM MAS1
ECON OC1
Old 10-12-2018, 12:27 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBrownsAreComing View Post
If coaching actuaries has fresh content for IFM and prices are similar, I would definently go for that.

Benefits of being an unemployed EL candidate
We did create the IFM videos from scratch, based on the IFM syllabus. There were enough changes in the MFE material and we decided that it's better to start over. Hopefully our students will find that helpful.

We are glad to have Mike Carmody to be our IFM instructor. His actuarial experience in the investment/hedging area helps us to teach the topic on actuarial-specific risk management better.

Last edited by tkt; 10-12-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Old 10-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
College: BU Alumna
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

One month to go, I'm at 5.3 on adapt and been there for quite a while. I don't have a whole lot of confidence for this exam. How's everyone else doing?

P FM MFE STAM LTAM SRM PA
VEE: Mathematical Statistics, Economics, Accounting & Finance
Old 10-15-2018, 08:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterthancandee View Post
One month to go, I'm at 5.3 on adapt and been there for quite a while. I don't have a whole lot of confidence for this exam. How's everyone else doing?
Almost done going through the material the first time, then getting a 30 day adapt subscription. Are you in school/have job? I'm neither so plenty of time to take 2 adapt exams / day for me.

P FM JOB IFM MAS1
ECON OC1
Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
College: BU Alumna
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBrownsAreComing View Post
Almost done going through the material the first time, then getting a 30 day adapt subscription. Are you in school/have job? I'm neither so plenty of time to take 2 adapt exams / day for me.
I have a full-time non-actuarial job. I had been taking exams over the past month and decided to focus on the areas that I am weakest in for a while, maybe that will help get me past 5.3

P FM MFE STAM LTAM SRM PA
VEE: Mathematical Statistics, Economics, Accounting & Finance
Old 10-16-2018, 08:36 AM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
College: University of South Carolina
Favorite beer: New Belgium La Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee831 View Post
I have few issues with it. It's only the second printing so issues will continue to be found by those more eagle-eyed than myself. That's more the nature of a new/revised exam than it is anything else. If you have a background in the material then ASM manuals are fine. I was a finance undergrad but I had not seen a B-S model or done something with CAPM in about 5 years so I had a good bit of rust to knock off.

Side note: I'm realizing how much I forgot. I've done two exams so far and have more "oh yeah I forgot about that" moments than I care to admit... That's what happens when you take 2+ months to read material
Old 10-16-2018, 11:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary13 View Post
Please don't get the ASM manual. It is absolutely awful in my opinion.
The discussion doesn't seem to sink in with me for ASM, at least for the first edition. It reached a point I just read Corporate Finance and Derivatives market

I'll be retaking this by Spring next year using CA's LEARN manual (since the PRO version is a bit too pricey for me). Then go to ADAPT + bits of ASM sample questions for practice.
PA

APC

#roadtoASA