Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:22 PM
trent216904 trent216904 is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
College: IUSB
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin18 View Post
Would not recommend ASM. Was way too dense for me. Everyone else has mentioned that it has a ton of errors.
100% agree with this. I originally bought the ASM manual, but switched to Coaching Actuaries after a couple weeks. As Benjamin18 said, there were a lot of errors, which is really annoying to have to constantly check the errata page to see if there's something that needs to be changed in the manual. But on top of that, I thought it didn't do a very good job of explaining concepts or solutions to practice problems. CA was a lot better at it. And if there's something that still confuses you, you can post questions in the forum and get a response from a certified coach. That's why I would always recommend CA over even the best of the traditional study manuals.
__________________
P, FM, IFM, LTAM, STAM, SRM, PA
Econ, MS, A/F
FAP, APC
Job
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-11-2019, 02:26 PM
JimF JimF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University
Posts: 106
Default Study Guides

Thanks for the input. You have me leaning towards CA's 60-day Adapt+Manual now. Adapt+Learn is too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent216904 View Post
100% agree with this. I originally bought the ASM manual, but switched to Coaching Actuaries after a couple weeks. As Benjamin18 said, there were a lot of errors, which is really annoying to have to constantly check the errata page to see if there's something that needs to be changed in the manual. But on top of that, I thought it didn't do a very good job of explaining concepts or solutions to practice problems. CA was a lot better at it. And if there's something that still confuses you, you can post questions in the forum and get a response from a certified coach. That's why I would always recommend CA over even the best of the traditional study manuals.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-11-2019, 08:08 PM
tkt's Avatar
tkt tkt is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Des Moines
College: Drake University
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Thanks for the input. You have me leaning towards CA's 60-day Adapt+Manual now. Adapt+Learn is too expensive.
Note that if you are a student, you receive 60% student discount on Adapt + Learn and 25% student discount on Adapt + Manual.

Thus, for a 60-day subscription, the cost is:
- $195 for Adapt + Manual
- $268 for Adapt + Learn

Feel free to contact me at tteh@coachingactuaries.com if you have any other questions. All the best!
__________________
Tong Khon Teh, FSA, CFA
Product Manager, Actuarial
coachingactuaries.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-12-2019, 09:15 AM
JimF JimF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University
Posts: 106
Default Study Guides

Thanks for the info, but I am not a student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
Note that if you are a student, you receive 60% student discount on Adapt + Learn and 25% student discount on Adapt + Manual.

Thus, for a 60-day subscription, the cost is:
- $195 for Adapt + Manual
- $268 for Adapt + Learn

Feel free to contact me at tteh@coachingactuaries.com if you have any other questions. All the best!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Benjamin18 Benjamin18 is offline
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Default

How's everyone doing?

Hit EL 6.43 & got stuck. Finally passed one this morning (barely). I'm getting hit with around ten lvl 8 questions each exam....

My exam date is the 15th so I feel like I'm way ahead of the curve. Corporate finance computation stuff has been the hardest for me. (recapitalization, post money valuation, leverage trade off, etc etc....) I feel like there's always some new detail or rule to learn or remember.
__________________
P, FM, IFM MAS-1{ }

Last edited by Benjamin18; 06-10-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM
aspiringASA aspiringASA is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin18 View Post
How's everyone doing?

Hit EL 6.43 & got stuck. Finally passed one this morning (barely). I'm getting hit with around ten lvl 8 questions each exam....

My exam date is the 15th so I feel like I'm way ahead of the curve. Corporate finance computation stuff has been the hardest for me. (recapitalization, post money valuation, leverage trade off, etc etc....) I feel like there's always some new detail or rule to learn or remember.
Nice work, yeah I'd feel pretty good if I was in your position. I'm hoping to finish up getting through the material by the end of this week so I can start cranking out quizzes and practice exams. I'm also signed up for the 15th so that should leave me about one month to focus on practice problems. I was hoping to leave myself more time but that's how it goes...
__________________
Exam P [X]
Exam FM [X]
Exam IFM [X]
Exam SRM []
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:18 PM
JimF JimF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University
Posts: 106
Default

I am still on Chapter 5 and I am sitting on July 13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin18 View Post
How's everyone doing?

Hit EL 6.43 & got stuck. Finally passed one this morning (barely). I'm getting hit with around ten lvl 8 questions each exam....

My exam date is the 15th so I feel like I'm way ahead of the curve. Corporate finance computation stuff has been the hardest for me. (recapitalization, post money valuation, leverage trade off, etc etc....) I feel like there's always some new detail or rule to learn or remember.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-28-2019, 02:10 PM
LadyFingers LadyFingers is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
College: Senior Year Univeristy of California in Santa Barbara
Posts: 16
Default

I use the TIA lesson videos and the ADAPT exams.
Honestly, I feel like I need two more weeks. I think I'll be totally ready by the end of July, but July 13 ... I just can't tell. I am not passing my practice exams. Definitely learning and improving daily, but not sure if it's fast enough.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-28-2019, 02:12 PM
LadyFingers LadyFingers is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
College: Senior Year Univeristy of California in Santa Barbara
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin18 View Post

My exam date is the 15th so I feel like I'm way ahead of the curve.

Sounds like it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-30-2019, 10:46 PM
JimF JimF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University
Posts: 106
Default

I took my first two CA practice exams this weekend and am at level 4.28. I missed some questions from chapters 10 and 11 because I had not studied them yet.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.19867 seconds with 9 queries