Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 05-10-2019, 09:22 PM
SOA

College: IUSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin18 View Post
Would not recommend ASM. Was way too dense for me. Everyone else has mentioned that it has a ton of errors.
100% agree with this. I originally bought the ASM manual, but switched to Coaching Actuaries after a couple weeks. As Benjamin18 said, there were a lot of errors, which is really annoying to have to constantly check the errata page to see if there's something that needs to be changed in the manual. But on top of that, I thought it didn't do a very good job of explaining concepts or solutions to practice problems. CA was a lot better at it. And if there's something that still confuses you, you can post questions in the forum and get a response from a certified coach. That's why I would always recommend CA over even the best of the traditional study manuals.
Job
Old 05-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University
Default Study Guides

Thanks for the input. You have me leaning towards CA's 60-day Adapt+Manual now. Adapt+Learn is too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent216904 View Post
100% agree with this. I originally bought the ASM manual, but switched to Coaching Actuaries after a couple weeks. As Benjamin18 said, there were a lot of errors, which is really annoying to have to constantly check the errata page to see if there's something that needs to be changed in the manual. But on top of that, I thought it didn't do a very good job of explaining concepts or solutions to practice problems. CA was a lot better at it. And if there's something that still confuses you, you can post questions in the forum and get a response from a certified coach. That's why I would always recommend CA over even the best of the traditional study manuals.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:08 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Thanks for the input. You have me leaning towards CA's 60-day Adapt+Manual now. Adapt+Learn is too expensive.
Note that if you are a student, you receive 60% student discount on Adapt + Learn and 25% student discount on Adapt + Manual.

Thus, for a 60-day subscription, the cost is:
- $195 for Adapt + Manual
- $268 for Adapt + Learn

Feel free to contact me at tteh@coachingactuaries.com if you have any other questions. All the best!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Studying for P/1
Default Study Guides

Thanks for the info, but I am not a student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
Note that if you are a student, you receive 60% student discount on Adapt + Learn and 25% student discount on Adapt + Manual.

Thus, for a 60-day subscription, the cost is:
- $195 for Adapt + Manual
- $268 for Adapt + Learn

Feel free to contact me at tteh@coachingactuaries.com if you have any other questions. All the best!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM
CAS

How's everyone doing?

Hit EL 6.43 & got stuck. Finally passed one this morning (barely). I'm getting hit with around ten lvl 8 questions each exam....

My exam date is the 15th so I feel like I'm way ahead of the curve. Corporate finance computation stuff has been the hardest for me. (recapitalization, post money valuation, leverage trade off, etc etc....) I feel like there's always some new detail or rule to learn or remember.

Last edited by Benjamin18; 06-10-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM
SOA

Quote:
How's everyone doing?

Hit EL 6.43 & got stuck. Finally passed one this morning (barely). I'm getting hit with around ten lvl 8 questions each exam....

My exam date is the 15th so I feel like I'm way ahead of the curve. Corporate finance computation stuff has been the hardest for me. (recapitalization, post money valuation, leverage trade off, etc etc....) I feel like there's always some new detail or rule to learn or remember.
Nice work, yeah I'd feel pretty good if I was in your position. I'm hoping to finish up getting through the material by the end of this week so I can start cranking out quizzes and practice exams. I'm also signed up for the 15th so that should leave me about one month to focus on practice problems. I was hoping to leave myself more time but that's how it goes...
Exam SRM []
Old 06-13-2019, 10:18 PM

Studying for P/1

I am still on Chapter 5 and I am sitting on July 13.

Quote:
How's everyone doing?

Old 06-28-2019, 02:10 PM
SOA

College: Senior Year Univeristy of California in Santa Barbara

I use the TIA lesson videos and the ADAPT exams.
Honestly, I feel like I need two more weeks. I think I'll be totally ready by the end of July, but July 13 ... I just can't tell. I am not passing my practice exams. Definitely learning and improving daily, but not sure if it's fast enough.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:12 PM
SOA

College: Senior Year Univeristy of California in Santa Barbara

Quote:

My exam date is the 15th so I feel like I'm way ahead of the curve.

Sounds like it.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:46 PM

Studying for P/1

I took my first two CA practice exams this weekend and am at level 4.28. I missed some questions from chapters 10 and 11 because I had not studied them yet.