Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 11-03-2009, 03:07 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money View Post
Cheating will go on in the CBT exams. There was a problem with this with the GMAT exams where they basically replicated the computer based questions and sold them online (this went on for a little bit wit. There is not the oppurtunity to make money like there is in GMAT exams, but cheating will happen.
Well, the SoA can minimize this by swapping out the questions regularly. If they keep similar wording and change the numbers to change the answers that will be *very* effective.

When I took the Series 7 exam I took a prep class - similar to an exam seminar. Now the prep class was very good and the guy really knew his stuff. I learned an awful lot and had a MUCH better understanding of the material after I emerged from the class. However, the instructor also had some useful gems such as:

1) If you get the convertible bond question, the answer is "convert & sell". There is only one convertible bond question in the question bank, and the answer is "convert & sell".

2) If you get a question where you see "Kingdom of Norway" the answer is C.

and several other gems like that. I did indeed get both of the above questions (part of why I remember those two and not others). I was too scared to rely on the instructor's assertion that the answers were "convert & sell" and "C" so I worked them out. Indeed those were the correct answers.

So would a student who sat through the class and blindly accepted the instructors assertions about the correctness of those answers and didn't actually work through them be considered a cheater? I don't know. The easy solution though is to have enough similar questions that this kind of cheating is difficult.

(Two "kingdom of Norway" questions with different answers? Several convertible bond questions?)

The Series 7 question bank has now been updated, but it when I took it the question bank was quite stale.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

The SOA tries to build a large question bank and does update it fairly regularly. Some questions are dropped and new ones added with each administration. That's the purpose of "pilot" questions.

Bruce
Old 11-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interesting Post View Post
Here's the real opportunity to cheat. It's the scenario that irks me most just because it's so easy to cheat.

You take some flashcards with you to cram before the exam. During the exam you forget some of the items and it turns out there is a question on it.

My lord, you suddenly need to "go to the bathroom"! Since people are only allowed out one at a time you are in complete privacy as you whip out your flashcard, refresh your memory, and then stroll back into the exam room. Only a three minute bathroom break and that question you were going to get a 1 on - well, you are getting a 10 now! And who's going to ever know?

A few pages later you might need to "go to the bathroom" again. Suckas.
Tis the season!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:10 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...155638383.html

Quote:
The low-tech days of cheaters writing answers on their hands are over, according to this round up of the new and digital ways kids are finding to cheat on tests by USA Today's Greg Toppo.
Some companies sell tiny earbuds that let test-takers communicate with a helper outside the exam room. (In China, two students taking an English exam had to be hospitalized to get those earbuds removed.) In Orange County, Calif., a student was accused of changing high school transcripts by installing spyware into school computers to steal teachers' passwords.
One of the most popular online videos on cheating shows students how to scan a soda label, remove all the nutritional information in a photo editing tool, and replace it with formulas or other facts. Students can print out the new label and reattach it to the soda bottle--and hope teachers don't notice when they're staring at the bottle during their exam.
In a poll done by Common Sense Media, about 35 percent of students said they'd used their cell phones to cheat on a test. The site Teachopolis tells teachers they can prevent cheating by inspecting calculators to make sure that students haven't programmed notes in them and by banning cell phones. A 2008 study also recommended that teachers run anti-plagiarism software when grading papers, to make sure their students didn't copy and paste chunks of online material into their own essays.
In 2006, Chinese authorities scrambled cell phone signals around their college entrance exam halls to make sure that no one who sneaked in a cell phone could use it to cheat.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Changing the transcripts is the best idea.