Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 10-28-2005, 03:47 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxprime
There were people cheating in a C1 sitting and the proctor just kept telling them to stop talking to each other (what an idiot). I didn't care, if they had to cheat they probably were only going to make the pass mark lower. I was pissed that one guy was getting answers off another, but I was more worried about passing my exam than what they were doing.

Cheating on an exam that is a good portion of your career is too risky.
i would definitely have reported this. i am not a tight@ss, but cheating on these exams is uncalled for and inexcusable. that proctor hopefully turned them in to whichever society it was. even if you didnt care, it is wrong, and surely must have been disruptive.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:58 PM

When I took Exam 1 in college, someone in my exam room (only about 4 of us) was using a TI-85. I consider that cheating. The proctor didn't appear to care. I didn't report it. Looking back, maybe I should have.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:59 PM

Studying for nication

I was helping the proctor of an exam and one person got written up for writing after pencils down, stupid but they probably failed anyway. I have heard rumours of cheating ie answer comparisons in some exam centres. I think for people who have jobs they are smart enough not to try anything because it's just not worth it. For lower level exams if cheating can be definately proven I think the penalties should be higher than they are now.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I MUST PASS
i would definitely have reported this. i am not a tight@ss, but cheating on these exams is uncalled for and inexcusable. that proctor hopefully turned them in to whichever society it was. even if you didnt care, it is wrong, and surely must have been disruptive.
I didn't care in that I wasn't going to let it affect my exam. Looking back, I probably should've reported them (not like I knew them) - it was my first sitting of any exam and I don't think I understood how big a deal it was. What a bunch of ass-clowns though, they both failed.

"Women are so lucky. They never have to worry about getting a guy pregnant." - Rawl316

Old 10-28-2005, 07:25 PM

It would be easy to cheat just by looking at the person's answers next to you. Of course, to keep from getting caught, one should be at least semi prepared and only cheat on the problems they don't have a good feel for. Not that I would ever advocated this anyway
Old 10-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyridr
I agree its stupid. Just wondering if anyones done it.
The people who would cheat on an actuarial exam would never make it far enough to get credentialed, so it's self-selecting.

Also see
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ad.php?t=63310
Old 10-28-2005, 10:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois Lane
the only "cheating" i've done is slipping a granola bar into my cargo pants, and then stuffing it down my throat during a quick bathroom break. i can't go too long without food b/c i get the shakes. (when i was pregnant and technically "disabled", i got permission in advance to eat during the exam.)
thats so totally me that its scary.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:58 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Beeer

I remember an episode on the Sopranos where a mob guy pays someone to take a brokerage licensing exam for him. Next thing you know, the mob guy is trading stocks. Seems pretty simple, all you need is a fake ID. I wonder if the mob would ever be interested in the actuarial field.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:27 AM

I'm sure there are 1001 ways to cheat if you really wanted to do it just for the heck of it, but if you're pursuing actuarial career, the risk is just too great compared to reward. You also have to have pretty steely nerves to be able to both take the test and think about avoiding discovery at the same time.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:11 AM

The proctor might not say anything during the 4 hours even though he sees someone cheating.. because all he needed to do was take down your candidate number, let you sit there for 4 hours while you were thinking smuckly that you got away with your cheating, wait two months and then realized you got disqualified.

Plus you can cheat in course 1, or maybe course 2. I'll let you cheat in course 3 and 4 as well. But are you going to cheat all the way up to ASA or FSA (or ACAS, FCAS)? The amount of materials in higher level exams is not something that you can fit on a double sided sheet of A4 even with minute handwriting. Plus if you have time to go to the bathroom to check out your formula sheet, you probably will end up not having enough time to finish the exam paper...

these exams are not university stats 101 exam. And to echo D.W Simpson webmaster, those who cheat will not make it far at all...