Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 11-09-2005, 09:04 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

of course lets not forget that taking your answers out of the exam is not allowed...lots of people here have done that and participated in the PAKs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 11-09-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93
You can't leave for the first 2 hours: I suspect to curb this sort of thing.
The SOA doesn't have some special legal power to detain people for two hours. The only thing that they can do to make someone follow the rules is to blacklist them. But if you pick a buddy who has no actuary aspirations, he could flaunt the rules, and walk out of there five minutes after getting the exam. In fact, he could even copy the questions onto his own piece of paper, and the proctor would be powerless to confiscate it from him. So proctors get their panties in a bunch, he's blacklisted from the SOA, but you have the questions with 3 hours to look up the answers.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:36 AM

Could you be detained by company or university security on the issue that you're removing property they're responsible for (the exams) ?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:28 AM

I will admit that I have thought and had the formula sheet ready to read in the bathroom. The only problem is that with the amount of preparation the exams take, remembering the formulas is the easy part of studying for the exams (so far through exam 2). Now with that said, having a friend walk out in 5 minutes with the material sounds appealing. With that why donít I just get him glasses with a camera on it. Record it to a private feed on his body. Have him walk out with in the first few minutes. Hire a team of people to answer these questions within an hour and then fill out my exam. Oh yeah while I am doing all of this why donít I take a vacation to Japan during exam week and take the exams over there. There, just knocked off exams 3 -4 and possibly 5. All for a low low cost of around $9000-12,000.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:35 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EweTupper
The SOA doesn't have some special legal power to detain people for two hours. The only thing that they can do to make someone follow the rules is to blacklist them. But if you pick a buddy who has no actuary aspirations, he could flaunt the rules, and walk out of there five minutes after getting the exam. In fact, he could even copy the questions onto his own piece of paper, and the proctor would be powerless to confiscate it from him. So proctors get their panties in a bunch, he's blacklisted from the SOA, but you have the questions with 3 hours to look up the answers.
You've put a lot of thought into this, haven't you?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:34 PM
AAA ASPPA COPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gile
I seem to recall that there was a case in the 1990s where some fool actually hired someone to write 3 exams in his place for ASA. After he was credentialed, there was an investigation that resulted in his being drummed out of the SOA.

Brad
And, AIR, there was a story involving a candidate who passed a lot of exams, during one session, aboard the USS Nimitz.

I'm sure there are lots of little exam centers where the students are friendly with the proctor, and ...
Old 11-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Any Cheaters?

Yes. During my term as SOA Education VP I had direct involvement in the disciplinary process. I wrote an article for The Future Actuary explaining how the process works and also noted the most common causes for discipline and offered some steps to avoid problems. The article can be found at http://library.soa.org/library/futac...t_summer03.htm.

By the way, as an exam supervisor I check the bathrooms.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:49 PM
AAA ASPPA COPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Klugman
Yes. During my term as SOA Education VP I had direct involvement in the disciplinary process. I wrote an article for The Future Actuary explaining how the process works and also noted the most common causes for discipline and offered some steps to avoid problems. The article can be found at http://library.soa.org/library/futac...t_summer03.htm.

By the way, as an exam supervisor I check the bathrooms.
Interesting article, Professor Klugmann. I didn't know the SoA ever issued warnings. 15-30, huh? Wonder if that number's gone up.

Oh, one more question: How do you check what a candidate does in the restroom without his (I don't suppose you went into the ladies' room!) privacy?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:01 PM
AAA ASPPA COPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Klugman
So, according to your guidelines (and I recognize that they are only guidelines), copying one's answers into one's calculator earns only a warning? Because it [is|ought to be] "clear that no advantage was gained or could have been gained."
Old 11-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by awacs
So, according to your guidelines (and I recognize that they are only guidelines), copying one's answers into one's calculator earns only a warning? Because it [is|ought to be] "clear that no advantage was gained or could have been gained."
I am not saying that those who copy answers into a calculator are cheating, but Stuart's standard does not say they aren't. Compare it to tearing four pages out of your exam booklet and walking out of the exam with them. Potentially, an advantage to someone is gained, if those pages are later faxed to a different time zone.