Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 08-12-2006, 02:20 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Life after exams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
One major difference between me and a typical actuary (or my perception based on what I have read, sorry for offending anyone who this doesn't apply to, yadda yadda yadda) is that I thrive under pressure. I like having expectations high and having to work to achieve a very difficult goal. And I am not talking about a goal like dropping 10 pounds like some of the people in the weight loss forum - I mean goals that require real discipline. I think this qualifies.
I suspect that your level of arrogance would make many people just as disgusted as you are with fatties. Everyone struggles with something in life. For some people, it is food or drink or drugs. For others, it's being a huge a$$hole. Good luck with that.

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:09 PM
official Troll bane

Favorite beer: PBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan View Post
I suspect that your level of arrogance would make many people just as disgusted as you are with fatties. Everyone struggles with something in life. For some people, it is food or drink or drugs. For others, it's being a huge a$$hole. Good luck with that.
Actually, I made a deal with myself that if I managed to lose this last 15 pounds, I was going to allow myself to start being an a$$hole. But now that you mention it, I might just do drugs instead.

Good call, Bamafan!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
One major difference between me and a typical actuary (or my perception based on what I have read, sorry for offending anyone who this doesn't apply to, yadda yadda yadda) is that I thrive under pressure. I like having expectations high and having to work to achieve a very difficult goal. And I am not talking about a goal like dropping 10 pounds like some of the people in the weight loss forum - I mean goals that require real discipline. I think this qualifies.
Holy crap. You are so full of yourself, it's astounding. For someone so purportedly intelligent, you don't seem to spend a whole lot of time thinking about the legitimacy or your claims nor the image you present when you communicate.

To paraphrase (because you're not very good at clear, concise language): "Unlike typical actuaries, I thrive under pressure." WTF? If you hold the typical actuary in such 'high' regard, why enter a profession you consider populated with inferior colleagues?

You also display a glaringly obvious lack of logic. If passing the exams is "a very difficult goal," why do you think it'll be so easy that you can pass 3 at once, and why would you put down those who already have their credentials? It's either easy or hard. You apparently don't have a high opinion of those who have passed more exams than you (which includes nearly everyone, including the "typical people" in the profession), yet you've not passed any yourself. And then you feel so righteous as to judge us when you have nothing to show for yourself except your own absurdly pompous, self-aggrandizing attitude?

You're a total joke. I don't care if you're smart, or if you might be smart enough to pass every exam in an hour. I wouldn't hire you if the future of my company depended on it, because you'd alienate everyone around you. Think about that for second, Einstein. Success has much more to do with your interpersonal skills than whether you can have a short travel time.

And I DO have the right to judge you, since (a) I have more credentials than you have, although I don't parade them about like you so desperately do, and (b) you open yourself up to judgement by displaying such naked arrogance.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Holy crap. You are so full of yourself, it's astounding. For someone so purportedly intelligent, you don't seem to spend a whole lot of time thinking about the legitimacy or your claims nor the image you present when you communicate.

To paraphrase (because you're not very good at clear, concise language): "Unlike typical actuaries, I thrive under pressure." WTF? If you hold the typical actuary in such 'high' regard, why enter a profession you consider populated with inferior colleagues?

You also display a glaringly obvious lack of logic. If passing the exams is "a very difficult goal," why do you think it'll be so easy that you can pass 3 at once, and why would you put down those who already have their credentials? It's either easy or hard. You apparently don't have a high opinion of those who have passed more exams than you (which includes nearly everyone, including the "typical people" in the profession), yet you've not passed any yourself. And then you feel so righteous as to judge us when you have nothing to show for yourself except your own absurdly pompous, self-aggrandizing attitude?

You're a total joke. I don't care if you're smart, or if you might be smart enough to pass every exam in an hour. I wouldn't hire you if the future of my company depended on it, because you'd alienate everyone around you. Think about that for second, Einstein. Success has much more to do with your interpersonal skills than whether you can have a short travel time.

And I DO have the right to judge you, since (a) I have more credentials than you have, although I don't parade them about like you so desperately do, and (b) you open yourself up to judgement by displaying such naked arrogance.
Holy cow - I feel like my words have been twisted around here. First, I have said repeatedly that I don't think I am that much smarter than most actuaries. I said I felt that my advantages were in my education (learning to understand, not memorize) and my superior work ethic. I also said that three exams in one sitting was a goal that required real discipline.

I do feel based on what I have read that actuaries are not the most ambitious people when it come to their jobs, but people take offense to that, even though many of them also say that they got into the profession so they wouldn't have to work long hours. Must be a very intense 40-45 hour work week.

My interpersonal skills are actually quite good - people who meet me are always astounded that I am a math major and can seem so down to earth, so forgive me if I am not too worried about that.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:26 PM

As usual in these situations, I urge the disputants to read this.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
As usual in these situations, I urge the disputants to read this.
I had come across this study when it first appeared, and read it with great interest, as my partner is a psychologist (PhD, not those fakers with MFTs and such). There's a lot to be said for its validity, although the study is not without its criticisms. I'd like to see the premise investigated further and in more detail, so as to give more definitive support for its claims.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
There's a lot to be said for its validity, although the study is not without its criticisms.
Sure, but it explains so much!
Old 08-12-2006, 11:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
Sure, but it explains so much!
What makes the thesis attractive is its ability to fit our individual experiences of others' metacognitive failures--who has not had interaction with someone who not only had an inflated self-assessment, but was completely unable to discriminate amongst his/her peers? But as the authors of the study make very clear, the validity of their claims are borne through their predictive power.

Simply put, the study makes an effort to show that their model of metacognitive competence in a specific domain is able to correctly predict the assessment characteristics of the incompetent. What I would like to see in subsequent analyses are (1) a sample population that draws from the public at large, rather than university undergraduates, and (2) further evidence of their thesis' predictive power, using other experiments to test their hypotheses.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:44 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Life after exams

Quote:
Holy cow - I feel like my words have been twisted around here. First, I have said repeatedly that I don't think I am that much smarter than most actuaries. I said I felt that my advantages were in my education (learning to understand, not memorize) and my superior work ethic. I also said that three exams in one sitting was a goal that required real discipline.

Wow. Just wow.

Your tone is amazing. Everything you say drips with condescension. Perhaps instead of three exams you should learn about tact and humility. To rise to power in any world, you have to earn the respect and support of your superiors, peers, and subordinates. Those things are hard to gain when you are constantly deriding their accomplishments and qualities.

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan View Post
Wow. Just wow.

Your tone is amazing. Everything you say drips with condescension. Perhaps instead of three exams you should learn about tact and humility. To rise to power in any world, you have to earn the respect and support of your superiors, peers, and subordinates. Those things are hard to gain when you are constantly deriding their accomplishments and qualities.

I don't know: if he's really as good at mathematics as he thinks he is, he might have success in investment banking. Actuarial science, not so much.