Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 PM
SOA

College: UCSD Alumni
Default Methods for sharpening your mind before an exam (after studying too much)?

I have been taking practice exams and I noticed most of my mistakes were due to silly errors/typos or not paying close enough attention.

I went on a run this morning and took a 30 minute nap break today but still made too many "dumb" mistakes. is it just me or does anyone else get this after studying too long? Anyone have any ideas of how to shake off the brain fog?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:02 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

All the time. Repetition helps - if you miss a problem due to a silly mistake, make sure you do it again while consciously remembering why you missed it last time. Once you learn how to do it correctly, set it aside and then do it again the next day to make sure you can do it without messing up.

It also helps to categorize the mistakes you make. Odds are if you make a silly mistake on one problem, you'll make the same silly mistake on another problem until you correct it. Correcting the ones that affect multiple problems has a good ROI.

And, remember to get some sleep. You won't do well if you're studying while half awake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:28 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Evaluate your diet. My daughter started a gluten-free diet in support of a close friend and found that her ability to focus in class and on assignments increased dramatically.

Along with lowering your gluten intake, I would also suggest looking at your caffeine intake . . . both in terms of quantity and timing.

And consider increasing your water intake . . . not chugging volumes of water, but simply start drinking the stuff (or a lightly brewed tea) more frequently throughout the day.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 03-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS

And apparently, Thai food is the vittles de electionis.

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-21-2018, 11:18 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

I didn't start out hot with my first few sittings, but I'm on a string of 8s and 9s since I got those out of the way. The same methods don't work for everybody, but I like LONG study sessions many months prior to the exam, then periodic 5-10 point quizzes on ADAPT. The week prior to the exam, I try to relax as much as possible, with perhaps 30 min of review every other day during that week. It has really worked for me, and I love that I have figured out my own formula for exam success.

Finding out your own formula is something I recommend every neophyte test-taker determine for him or herself. It will take tweaking and error, but eventually you will get excited as "game day" (read: exam day) approaches and possess the critical confidence you need to work fast and decisively.

These exams are unique because they are LONG and a time-crunch. Your college study strategy will most likely be inappropriate for these exams. You need STAMINA. I even like to take practice ADAPT quizzes/tests under not-so-great conditions if they arise (e.g. if I am sick one day, not well-rested, etc.). Obviously I don't purposely seek these conditions, but I do exploit them when I have them. The last hour or so of the exam you get diminishing returns, because you are naturally tired, so I like to practice at night for that reason sometimes.

To piggyback on Col. Smoothie, repetition is where it is at!! Then make sure you are in excellent health and spirit going into exam day. PM me if you want to know anymore, because I am proud of the fact that I figured out how to perform really well on exams after beginning slowly. I don't fear any exam now, even if I should

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 AM
SOA

Studying for everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
I didn't start out hot with my first few sittings, but I'm on a string of 8s and 9s since I got those out of the way.
Same, I don't know why but I went from 7s to 10s, my transcript looks like this:

I don't see what changed lol
Old 05-22-2018, 11:34 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Evaluate your diet. My daughter started a gluten-free diet in support of a close friend and found that her ability to focus in class and on assignments increased dramatically.

Along with lowering your gluten intake, I would also suggest looking at your caffeine intake . . . both in terms of quantity and timing.

And consider increasing your water intake . . . not chugging volumes of water, but simply start drinking the stuff (or a lightly brewed tea) more frequently throughout the day.
It would appear I have plenty to work on...
Old 05-23-2018, 01:46 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarchArvor View Post
Same, I don't know why but I went from 7s to 10s, my transcript looks like this:

Haha -- I do not know if you are joking because those scores are absurd. Nonetheless, I'll say great job!

And I wouldn't consider 7 struggling

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 05-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS

Repeated 5's is struggling.

One 6 is success.

And 6 > 5+5

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-23-2018, 09:55 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarchArvor View Post

Yeah my scores are like:

The first one was a real struggle going through it as a newbie.

I'd take a 6 any effing day.