Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 9 (old Part 8) - Financial Risk & Rate of Return
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1461  
Old 03-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Adversely Selected's Avatar
Adversely Selected Adversely Selected is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Studying for 9
College: MSU Alum
Favorite beer: M43 (N.E. IPA)
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoactuary View Post
I compared the paper in the study kit to Cummins's paper "Asset Pricing Models and Insurance Ratemaking" and in that paper he defined k as premium to liability ratio and s as premium to surplus. He then derives the formula above and it checks. So it seems like he modified the formula he had derived before without paying attention to the fact that his variable definitions had changed. The correct formula for the study kit paper definitions should be
So, you are saying just memorize how it is applied on exams.
__________________
Exams: FCAS
Reply With Quote
  #1462  
Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Tacoactuary's Avatar
Tacoactuary Tacoactuary is offline
Member
CAS Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
College: Vanderbilt, UIUC
Favorite beer: Yazoo Sue
Posts: 1,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversely Selected View Post
So, you are saying just memorize how it is applied on exams.
ya, but if you did it correctly, you could probably win an appeal
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #1463  
Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 AM
GBM_ GBM_ is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-Lingual View Post
On a scale of 1 to (exam) 6, how much does this exam put you to sleep?
Exam 6 -1 imo.

Reply With Quote
  #1464  
Old 03-13-2018, 11:47 AM
GBM_ GBM_ is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,456
Default

back to BKM again this afternoon
Reply With Quote
  #1465  
Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 AM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 15,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversely Selected View Post
Yes, you have to take into account when the economic profit is earned. It is not earned immediately, but at year-end, so you discount it to time 0. Your calculation of 998.9335 reflects the amount of return, but that is earned 1 year forward of when the investment is made.

You invested 500K at time zero, but the profit is earned at time 1, etc.
But in the Goldfarb 1 period questions we don't usually discount it to time zero right? That was that was what that controversy over 2015 q 18 was about.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #1466  
Old 03-13-2018, 12:00 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 15,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoactuary View Post
I compared the paper in the study kit to Cummins's paper "Asset Pricing Models and Insurance Ratemaking" and in that paper he defined k as premium to liability ratio and s as premium to surplus. He then derives the formula above and it checks. So it seems like he modified the formula he had derived before without paying attention to the fact that his variable definitions had changed. The correct formula for the study kit paper definitions should be
That's essentially what stillgreen derived the return on equity to be in 1363. But my point is that Cummins doesn't say that formula is return on equity, he calls it "required underwriting return". I can't see how to he goes from that formula to return on on premium, but that's where he wants to go.

2012 Q 11 uses this r to calculate the combined ratio as simply 1 - r. If this is return on equity this relationship doesn't make sense.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.

Last edited by therealsylvos; 03-13-2018 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #1467  
Old 03-13-2018, 02:13 PM
GBM_ GBM_ is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,456
Default

Going through notecards is torture. I can officially say idgaf about any of this material.
Reply With Quote
  #1468  
Old 03-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Tacoactuary's Avatar
Tacoactuary Tacoactuary is offline
Member
CAS Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
College: Vanderbilt, UIUC
Favorite beer: Yazoo Sue
Posts: 1,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
That's essentially what stillgreen derived the return on equity to be in 1363. But my point is that Cummins doesn't say that formula is return on equity, he calls it "required underwriting return". I can't see how to he goes from that formula to return on on premium, but that's where he wants to go.

2012 Q 11 uses this r to calculate the combined ratio as simply 1 - r. If this is return on equity this relationship doesn't make sense.
r_i are returns on premiums and r_A is return on assets and r_E is return on equity. Where are we saying r_i is a return on equity?
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #1469  
Old 03-13-2018, 02:38 PM
trueblade's Avatar
trueblade trueblade is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Castlevania
Studying for Freedom
Posts: 437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
reading this thread scares me.
Same
__________________
This hand of mine is burning red!
Itís loud roar tells me to grasp victory!
Reply With Quote
  #1470  
Old 03-13-2018, 02:44 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 15,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoactuary View Post
r_i are returns on premiums and r_A is return on assets and r_E is return on equity. Where are we saying r_i is a return on equity?
Cummins himself defines r_i as cost of capital for business i earlier in the reading (page 10 when talking about EVA). Hence my sleight of hand comment.

But looking over it again in the context of the initial



He redefines r_i as underwriting return.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#hawaii2019, #hawaii2019 was here, #jasonplz, #tbe here we come, #vegas2018, #willyplz, algebra exam, hardest exam ever, kill me, last exam ever, second to last exam, third to last exam, wtf was that

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.51135 seconds with 12 queries