Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for ERM
College: FSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
It's been 8 days since I submitted and still no result, the longest wait since before the Feb 20th deadline. I'm getting paranoid that there's something wrong with my FA...
May just be slowing down the grading. They had promised to get everyone who submitted by 2/20. We are approaching a time when a lot of people take vacations or get busy with quarter end stuff.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:26 PM
SOA

Thanks gcact, logically I know everything should be fine. Just freaking out a little since people on the FA grading spreadsheet who submitted after me received their results yesterday or the day before.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 PM
SOA

College: The Ohio State University

It appears grading has come to a grinding halt.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:26 PM
SOA

why can't grading timing be (at least for IA and FA) definite? it just seems so unfair how some people get lucky and get grades in less than a week while others wait up to over seven weeks...
Old 03-13-2018, 01:47 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Great Lakes Christmas Ale

Because if someone's paper were graded in one day and then not released until 6 weeks and 6 days later at the exact 7 week mark, people would complain more than they do now about grading.

"Why is the SOA holding onto papers that are already graded? They're trying to slow us down so we have to pay for an extension on the modules"
Old 03-13-2018, 02:06 PM
SOA

Studying for ILP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro22ko View Post
why can't grading timing be (at least for IA and FA) definite? it just seems so unfair how some people get lucky and get grades in less than a week while others wait up to over seven weeks...
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrbear View Post
Because if someone's paper were graded in one day and then not released until 6 weeks and 6 days later at the exact 7 week mark, people would complain more than they do now about grading.

"Why is the SOA holding onto papers that are already graded? They're trying to slow us down so we have to pay for an extension on the modules"
That is a valid point, but I don't think it would be such a big issue. People would be unhappy at first of course, but I think they would get used to it and ultimately be better off. The exams have set grade release dates and people don't really complain.

I think the issue for me is not so much any sort of jealousy over those who get quick grade turnarounds - it's about the constant anxiety of waiting on results. Sure, waiting on exam grades is difficult, but at least you can go about your daily life without stressing. It took me a long time to get through the modules and now that I don't have to check my email constantly I feel like my life and sanity was finally handed back to me.

What about a system like the ASA list? Graders could continue to work at their own pace, but results would only be released once a month. I'd be interested to hear a graders perspective on this or other alternate systems at some point.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrbear View Post

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, instead of doing these grading parties, it would be nicer to have some more consistency in the grading timeline.

Also, I hear that the next grading party is in early April as opposed to late March (in the previous years) and this would potentially force a bunch of near-ASAs in having to take another exam (PA) and not get their ASA until 2019 the earliest...
Old 03-13-2018, 02:17 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclops View Post
That is a valid point, but I don't think it would be such a big issue. People would be unhappy at first of course, but I think they would get used to it and ultimately be better off. The exams have set grade release dates and people don't really complain.
lol.

Quote:
I think the issue for me is not so much any sort of jealousy over those who get quick grade turnarounds - it's about the constant anxiety of waiting on results. Sure, waiting on exam grades is difficult, but at least you can go about your daily life without stressing. It took me a long time to get through the modules and now that I don't have to check my email constantly I feel like my life and sanity was finally handed back to me.

What about a system like the ASA list? Graders could continue to work at their own pace, but results would only be released once a month. I'd be interested to hear a graders perspective on this or other alternate systems at some point.
It might not be a big issue if candidates didn't talk.

Candidate 1: I submitted my FA on 3/12 and was on the list!

Candidate 2: Really? I also submitted on 3/12 (or 3/13, or 3/14...) and didn't get my result. So now I have to wait another full month for my results? How is that fair? The SOA is out to get us! They just want more money from us by delaying results until after my FAP modules expire!

I know several graders, so I have heard a lot of perspectives on this. Many of them became graders because they were convinced they could get in there and change the system, make the grading more reliable, etc. Well, guess what? They come to realize that this system is actually pretty good in comparison to other alternatives.

I heard that there were over 300 submissions for FA on 2/20, trying to get in for the 3/23 results guarantee, and they had to have a special grading party just to make sure they got graded in time. And that was planned in advance.

If there were a guaranteed pass time of 4 weeks, or 6 weeks, or whatever, and one week happened to have 300+ submissions, how is the SOA going to promise that kind of grading timeline with just volunteers grading them? It takes a lot of time to plan a grading party, and I'm sure they are expensive, so they can't just throw one every time they have a lot of papers submitted.

I'm curious what other ideas people have for making the process better.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:20 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to get at is, instead of doing these grading parties, it would be nicer to have some more consistency in the grading timeline.

Also, I hear that the next grading party is in early April as opposed to late March (in the previous years) and this would potentially force a bunch of near-ASAs in having to take another exam (PA) and not get their ASA until 2019 the earliest...
Force?

Who's forcing them to take another exam? Who's forcing them to get their ASA? Who forced them to put off finishing the modules until this point?

The grading party is in April because the SOA knows there are going to be a shit ton of submissions on 3/30, so why would it make sense to have the grading party before that date?

The SOA didn't add this exam to be cruel. They think it's valuable material, and I agree with them, and I don't think deferring your ASA another six months because you're expected to become more knowledgeable about an applicable topic is the worst thing.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:

somebody is gonna lose out with an exam structure change. you just need to accept that. I think the soa has gone above expectations in getting FA's graded recently. when I submitted in January, I was planning on a 7 week wait and it wound up only being 3 weeks. Would have been nice of course to know in advance that it was going to be 3 weeks for numerous reasons, but I'll take the 3 week turnaround instead of a guaranteed 7 weeks.

the bottleneck late last year which resulted in an 85 day turn-around for my module 3 was a bit annoying, but the graders are doing a great job right now of grading at a good pace.

they already had 2 grading parties this year. is that lower than prior years? I don't think it is. Seems that they moved the late march grading party to late February. Didn't they also have one in late January?
Spoiler:

Last edited by ao fan; 03-13-2018 at 02:43 PM..

Tags
elearn useless, fa results, i am in - add exams, posthumous asa, the fa gives me gas, ur fees paid 4 my caviar, you gon elearn today boy