Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:01 PM
CAS

Studying for 5

Don't the CERA requirements require P FM MFE and C? Those exams are going away and being replaced so I'd bet that they transition in the same way.

I'm assuming that the VEE requirements will also change accordingly.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:27 PM
SOA

College: college is for squares

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingon1 View Post
This thread is apparently dead...sorry didn't realize this when I posted yesterday
have you passed all your exams already

given your take on curriculum additions I have my suspicions

please confirm my suspicions
Old 08-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Non-Actuary

Today I got an e-mail from SOA
Quote:
New predictive analytics component will further prepare SOA actuaries, including those specializing in general insurance, to meet employer needs.
The Society of Actuaries (SOA) recently announced new changes to the curriculum for the Associate credential. The new curriculum will incorporate predictive analytics topics to better prepare SOA actuaries for today's business environment and societal needs. Under our new approach, candidates will use online modules to apply the principles of predictive analytics with realistic data sets. Techniques covered in the curriculum will include generalized linear modules, decision trees, clustering techniques and principal components analysis. As a foundation for this, all candidates will soon also be required to pass an examination in applied statistics.

Short-term insurance coverages (e.g., health and general insurance) have also been increasing in importance, particularly in global markets, hence the new curriculum was revised to provide a better balance between short-term and long-term topics.

For those intending to pursue the General Insurance specialty track, these changes will dovetail nicely into track curriculum, which was developed to equip candidates with real-world experience to tackle pertinent challenges in the property-casualty insurance field, such as globalization, predictive analytics or "Big Data," cyber risk and the sharing economy. These challenges demand for actuaries with comprehensive skill sets. Candidates will receive real-world experience with next-generation analytics and modeling tools. See how the SOA is educating actuaries to tackle the property-casualty insurance risks of today – and tomorrow.

Read more about the ASA curriculum changes.

They have not added more details about the new exams.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 PM
CAS

Studying for my family

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
My favorite part is the last piece of the predictive analytics exam:

Thank goodness.
I was just looking at the SOA updates for curiosity sake and saw the fully-functioning computer part and remembered this.