Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:33 PM
SOA CCA AAA

College: University of the West Indies
Default Support John Robinson For SOA President-Elect

To all voting members of the SOA:

This is John Robinson, FSA 1994.

I am a petition candidate for this year's presidential election.

My record of leadership has earned me the respect of the Board and all who know me. Please view my petition campaign video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2mW...ature=youtu.be

If you have questions about me, or about my views on the issues, please email me at jwrob03@gmail.com.

Thank you for your interest.

John Robinson FSA, FCA, MAAA
Old 07-04-2017, 07:23 AM
SOA

John-

Thanks for posting this and thanks for getting involved. A couple comments:

This should really be in the "Chat with the Candidates" forum, not General Actuarial

In addition to you, Tom Bakos and Jim Glickman are also trying to get nominated to be on the ballot. Members can only nominate one of you and it's difficult for anyone to even get on the ballot, so our nomination vote is a precious thing.

I want to see some nominated (instead of hand picked) candidate on the ballot and hopefully win. Jim Glickman got quite a lot of support last year and did very well in the final vote. Because of that, I'm inclined to nominate him. Can you give us a reason why Outpost members should nominate you, since splitting the AO vote may lead to neither of you getting on the ballot?

Thanks and happy 4th
Old 07-04-2017, 11:27 AM
SOA CCA AAA

College: University of the West Indies
Default Response to Woodrow and Others

Woodrow,

Thank you for the question.

The SOA and the other US organizations are growing and evolving along different paths, based on their respective cultures, missions, values and strategic visions.

The SOA leadership is largely driven by its Strategic Plan, in whose construction I was involved, and the president is expected to champion that Plan. Consequently, the role of the president is not to present an alternative to the Strategic Plan. I suspect this may differentiate me from my petition colleagues.

Leadership sets the tone. We must better understand these differences, embrace them and, where possible leverage them for the good of all of us.

An example is last year's "kerfuffle" over the Joint Pension Task Force. At its core, the key was a difference in editorial policy between the SOA and AAA, and this difference is based on the differences in our respective missions and values. So the best answer was not to have both orgs publish the paper, but to see which org had an editorial policy that was amenable to the authors' intent. Had the leaderships (both) recognized this sooner, some public embarrassment would have been avoided.

Conducting our relationships with these principles in mind is my recipe for success - at least as long as I am involved.

I appreciate that you are taking this quite seriously. Notwithstanding the NC's decision, I know for certain that many Board members support me, and would welcome me back.

Thank you.

John
Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 PM
SOA AAA

College: Graduated from Ohio State too many years ago to remember
Favorite beer: Newcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRobinson View Post
Woodrow,

Thank you for the question.

The SOA and the other US organizations are growing and evolving along different paths, based on their respective cultures, missions, values and strategic visions.

The SOA leadership is largely driven by its Strategic Plan, in whose construction I was involved, and the president is expected to champion that Plan. Consequently, the role of the president is not to present an alternative to the Strategic Plan. I suspect this may differentiate me from my petition colleagues.

Leadership sets the tone. We must better understand these differences, embrace them and, where possible leverage them for the good of all of us.

An example is last year's "kerfuffle" over the Joint Pension Task Force. At its core, the key was a difference in editorial policy between the SOA and AAA, and this difference is based on the differences in our respective missions and values. So the best answer was not to have both orgs publish the paper, but to see which org had an editorial policy that was amenable to the authors' intent. Had the leaderships (both) recognized this sooner, some public embarrassment would have been avoided.

Conducting our relationships with these principles in mind is my recipe for success - at least as long as I am involved.

I appreciate that you are taking this quite seriously. Notwithstanding the NC's decision, I know for certain that many Board members support me, and would welcome me back.

Thank you.

John
Good answer, John.

I watched your informative video as well, and you have my petition vote!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:21 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

I'm a fan of John's - have gotten to work with him a few times on SOA activities.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 07-05-2017, 09:39 PM
SOA AAA

John is a good man. Just a shame he and other good Presidential candidates have such a high hurdle to get their names on the ballot.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:48 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8

I'm not an SOA member but have a question (generally, not necessarily just for John). What exactly is the benefit for U.S. members of trying to grow the SOA globally? I question of the CAS too, of which I am a member (but not yet a voting member). There are many other international actuarial societies that cater to local needs. Collaboration is important, since much actuarial theory applies in any jurisdiction, but regulations and trends vary regionally and there's a benefit to having local organizations. If U.S. organizations push to become more global, do they not risk damaging their relationships with international societies who could view them as a competitor? Also, wouldn't this take resources away from research into the issues most important in North American actuarial practice? And for what benefit?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:37 PM
CAS SOA

That's always been a concern of mine. I would have preferred that the SOA had stayed focused as a North American organization, but I think that ship sailed a long time ago. But the SOA doesn't ask us about strategic issues like that.

To answer your question, though, I think it ties into the SOA's (i.e. the leadership) desire to be a world leader in the actuarial world. So, outreach and development in emerging markets fits in with that goal. And once you have membership in an area, you have an obligation to serve them, so it feeds back on itself.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:59 AM
SOA

Can we please move this thread to "Chat with the Candidates" where it belongs?

Quote:
General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
Can we please move this thread to "Chat with the Candidates" where it belongs?
There's already a thread there, Woody.

Can this one just be marked as a duplicate and deleted?