Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:35 PM

Proposal:

Allow teams to lease their players on long-term contracts to other teams for the remainder of the year. They get a prospect, and they also get their player back for the start of the next season. It would make the trading deadline more interesting, and it would make for more good teams in playoff races, and maybe Mike Trout could finally get to play in a playoff game.
The fisherman comes up, puts his two poles in the sand. He stares out at the sea, just exactly like me, but I've got a book in my hand. We will have caught on to something by the end of the day. But mostly we think about the one that got away.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:24 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
Proposal:

Allow teams to lease their players on long-term contracts to other teams for the remainder of the year. They get a prospect, and they also get their player back for the start of the next season. It would make the trading deadline more interesting, and it would make for more good teams in playoff races, and maybe Mike Trout could finally get to play in a playoff game.
I don't see what's stopping them from doing that now.

Team A trades player X to Team B for player Y and an agreement to trade player X back for a sack of practice balls at the end of the year.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySchoop View Post
I don't see what's stopping them from doing that now.

Team A trades player X to Team B for player Y and an agreement to trade player X back for a sack of practice balls at the end of the year.
I don't think such an agreement is legally binding under the current rules.
The fisherman comes up, puts his two poles in the sand. He stares out at the sea, just exactly like me, but I've got a book in my hand. We will have caught on to something by the end of the day. But mostly we think about the one that got away.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:20 AM

I wonder how many times in baseball history a doubleheader has had both games end with exactly the same score with each team winning one.

Edit: The most recent time it happened before yesterday: May 12, 2008 when Toronto and Cleveland also split a doubleheader with the identical score of 3-0.

Last edited by Bicycle Repair Man; 07-17-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
I wonder how many times in baseball history a doubleheader has had both games end with exactly the same score with each team winning one.

Edit: The most recent time it happened before yesterday: May 12, 2008 when Toronto and Cleveland also split a doubleheader with the identical score of 3-0.
so when was the last time the score wasn't 3-0?

or more actuarial - when was the last time, two consecutive double headers decided by the same score won by the alternate teams were the same scores as the prior time it occurred?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:23 PM
CAS

http://nypost.com/2017/07/13/the-pit...erately-needs/

Quote:
The pitch clock is the innovation baseball desperately needs

A shot clock or play clock exists in sports as varied as snooker and water polo, pro football and pro lacrosse.

What is similar is the reason for its existence — to quicken pace of play.

The NBA was languishing in the early 1950s, in part because teams with leads would just hold the ball. Some innovative folks felt the game was best when each team had at least 60 shots or 120 in all within a game of 2,880 seconds (48 minutes). If you divide 2,880 by 120, you get 24 and, voila, the 24-second shot clock.

Now, one of baseball’s boasts is its timelessness. But that has to do more with the inability to just sit on a big lead — you still must get 27 outs. But the period between each pitch should not be untimed and — like the NBA nearly seven decades ago — I wonder if the math shows the way.

In 2017, 292 pitches are delivered in an average nine-inning game. If one is thrown every 15 seconds that is 1 hour, 13 minutes; every 20 seconds is about 1:37; and every 25 seconds is a shade under 2:02. So the difference between the two extremes is approximately 49 minutes. Can any entertainment venture in short-attention-span 2017 really afford 49 minutes of nothing and expect to retain its audience? And that is before we start adding in time between innings, etc.

There are pretty strong indications that MLB, as is its right a year after notifying the union in writing of its plans, will add a pitch clock for 2018. The Players Association has balked because a large segment of its constituents, namely pitchers, do not want to operate under a clock.

This is the third season the 20-second clock is being used in the minors, which means more and more players already are used to playing with its presence. Scouts who cover those leagues report a quickened pace, and the data mostly corroborates that. The hope is the clock works like a subliminal message that reduces wandering, every-pitch batting glove adjustment, etc., and just gets the pitcher-hitter dynamic moving faster.

It might be informative, if you did not see it, to look at Aaron Judge’s second plate appearance versus Milwaukee’s Brent Suter last Saturday. Suter is a lefty from the Mark Buehrle school — get ball, get sign, throw. No extracurricular movement. Rather than the gamesmanship of trying to slow the lefty down, Judge’s mind game went the other way. He essentially not only stayed in the box, but stayed in his batting stance. It was a 10-pitch encounter that ended in a walk and from start to finish lasted 2 minutes, 17 seconds, or a pitch every 13.7 seconds — the constant action only making it more compelling.

Would players try to game the 20-second clock if installed? Yep. But there would have to be a painful penalty for exceeding the clock — a ball or a strike issued depending on whether a pitcher or hitter abused the privilege, which leads to having an ump having to make that determination.

Again, the hope is the clock will just serve as an impetus to keep the game moving, a reminder the sport is timeless, but should not waste our time.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:58 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

They should use a slow play warning like in golf. If, after 3 innings, the game time is over 1 hour, both teams get a slow play warning. If the next 3 innings take more than 60 minutes, then for the rest of the game both teams only get 2 outs per inning.

Play in the AO Prediction Game now!

Old 07-17-2017, 02:12 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
They should use a slow play warning like in golf. If, after 3 innings, the game time is over 1 hour, both teams get a slow play warning. If the next 3 innings take more than 60 minutes, then for the rest of the game both teams only get 2 outs per inning.
Ugh, no.

And 20 seconds is way too lenient. The actual rulebook (rule 5.07(c)) calls for 12 while the bases are empty, with the penalty being a called Ball.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:34 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
Some of the ideas are pretty good, but others are awful.

I hate the idea of netting around the lower bowl. If you don't want to pay attention, sit in the upper decks or stay at home. Netting immediately behind home plate is okay, but if you're talking about a ball out of play all the way at the foul pole, you have plenty of time to react, even if you're on your phone in the stadium. That also raises another question: If liners are scary enough to install netting all the way down the foul line, why stop there? Why not install netting in the outfield too preventing people from getting hit by home run balls? What about the occasional high popup that lands in the upper decks of foul territory? Nets there too?

The retractable roof idea is bad too. Baseball is better outside. I've been to a lot of parks, and the fan experience at an outdoor game is just a lot better. Sitting in the sun on a nice day is a big part of the fun. If that means 10 rainouts a year, I'm more than willing to pay that price. Roofs are necessary in some parts of the league (e.g., without one, Toronto would be too cold for October baseball, and the Florida teams would see a lot more than 10 rainouts a year), but that doesn't require a league-wide blanket policy to handle. Retractable roofs are better than fixed roofs, but they're expensive and unnecessary. Since so many stadiums are supported by taxpayer money, I'd hate to see it wasted on something like a roof in a city where rainouts aren't all that common.

I don't like the idea of implementing the DH in the National League, and don't think you'd get NL teams to buy-in to the change (especially knowing that their rosters are designed for NL ball with decent pinch hitting depth). I like that MLB has some variety with this unlike the other major sports leagues. Having outfield dimensions vary by team is another example of the variety working in MLB's favor. Also, I actually prefer the strategy involved with National League teams (e.g., a lot more pinch hitting, double switches, etc.). The NL offers chess compared to the AL's checkers.

The extra inning rules are awful, and extra inning games are great today. Why kill that with rules designed to end things early? The excitement as a home fan knowing that a single swing can end things in walk-off fashion is perfect. Long games are fun too: it's free baseball, and fans appreciate the nuance of bullpen strategy (e.g., in an NL game, if your pitcher comes to bat in the 12th inning, do you pinch hit for him knowing that you don't have many bullpen options left?). The only thing I'd change is to keep concession stands open later. Watching a 15 inning game is a lot of fun, but if food/alcohol sales stop in the 7th, it's not as fun. Alcohol sales presumably stop to prevent DUIs, which is noble and all, but if people want to drink and drive, they're going to do it regardless of whether they can buy beer at the stadium. It'll cost more to pay concession employees to stay in the park longer, but with $10 nachos and $15 beer, I'm sure they come out ahead. To be honest, this is something they should do now. Concession stands at MLB parks should stay open for maybe 20 minutes after the final out. Stopping in the 7th is dumb.

Ads on uniforms would be bad, but it's probably inevitable. I think the NBA is starting to go down that route now.

Absolutely zero chance that the league contracts to 28 teams. Oakland and Tampa Bay are both hampered by stadium issues. Fix those, and both cities are viable. Other cities are viable too, even if you leave Mexico City and Las Vegas off the table. Within 20 years, I'd be surprised to see an expansion to 32 teams, but I think that's a lot more likely than a contraction to 28 teams.

Pitch clocks, limits on the number of mound visits, serious punishments for intentional HBPs, robo-ump assistance, etc. are all decent rules that I'd be supportive of changing. But otherwise, this article makes a lot of bad suggestions. The line about wanting fewer games, fewer innings, etc. sounds like it was written by someone that hates baseball. If you like baseball, the last thing you want is less baseball.

Last edited by nonactuarialactuary; 07-17-2017 at 02:37 PM..
Old 07-17-2017, 02:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
The retractable roof idea is bad too. Baseball is better outside. I've been to a lot of parks, and the fan experience at an outdoor game is just a lot better. Sitting in the sun on a nice day is a big part of the fun.
Went to a yankee game a week or two ago. it was only 84F, but it was unbearable in the seats with direct sunlight. (I'm a wimp, yes). not sure how AZD fans do it.

That being said, out doors is better than indoors. I know, the above paragraph contradicts this, but I think it's much better outside.