Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:35 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

I run a cell phone repair shop. Here are my opinions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
My S8 actually works great, except it has two annoying problems.

1) The usb c port must be damaged because my cables keep falling out (but they don't fall out of my wife's phone).
2) The headphone jack must be damaged because all my wired headphones fall out. I had to buy wireless headphones because of this.

I am debating keeping it another year because it works fine. However, it is really annoying when I have my android auto running in my car and it disappears because the usb lost connection because my phones port is bad from being dropped on the floor too many times.
99% chance it is lint in the charging port and headphone jack. For the charging port, be SUPER CAREFUL but use an Xacto knife to get the lint out. For the headphone jack, you'll need something pointy like a larger sewing needle or a thin awl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i'm no battery expert, but i don't think planned obsolescence is why batteries degrade over time.
I've learned a lot in my line of work, so here's what I know:

Batteries are a packet of chemicals and are affected by many factors: charge cycles (100% --> 25% --> 100% is considered a cycle), heat, trauma (dropping the phone), age, and frigid temps can all have an impact on the battery. The best thing for the battery is to keep it plugged in and at 100% as much as possible and keep it at room temperature (leave it in your pocket in the freezing weather, try not to do heavy lifting such as watching videos in the summer heat).

A couple of myths: Battery "memory" is not a thing with lithium polymer batteries. Nickel cadmium batteries had this issue but basically that hasn't been a thing since the late nineties. You can leave a battery charging all the time because a chip monitors and controls the charging.

The rule of thumb for charge cycles is about 500. Do that math and if you charge your battery once a day, that is about a year and a half to two years when you will START to see a decline in battery life. It may be good enough for a while after that.

Hallmarks of a battery that is starting to go bad are dropping 10-20% within a few minutes of unplugging. This means the battery is rated for say 2000mAh, but only say 1800mAh of the battery material is still in good condition. Also, shutting down with more than 10% left. Batteries potential current changes with the charge remaining and if there isn't enough current to keep the processor running the phone turns off. There was a "scandal" when Apple was caught throttling phones so they would go to 0% instead of shutting off at 20%. It was a good idea, but it was a scandal because they didn't tell anyone so people just thought there was a conspiracy to slow phones down after two years.

Last edited by ahow; 03-01-2019 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
I run a cell phone repair shop. Here are my opinions:
99% chance it is lint in the charging port and headphone jack. For the charging port, be SUPER CAREFUL but use an Xacto knife to get the lint out. For the charging port, you'll need something pointy like a larger sewing needle or a thin awl.
I'm not trying to call you out, as this is clearly just a typo/oversight. I'm curious which port should get the sewing needle and which one should get the xacto knife method. I'm guessing a needle for the headphone jack?
Old 03-01-2019, 12:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I'm not trying to call you out, as this is clearly just a typo/oversight. I'm curious which port should get the sewing needle and which one should get the xacto knife method. I'm guessing a needle for the headphone jack?
Oops, yes, needle in the headphone jack. I'll fix the typo.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:45 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Is folding phone the new term for flip phone?

Do either of these phones retain the traditional headphone jack? If they make me switch to $100 Bluetooth headphones that I need to find a charger for, itís a hard no for me.

Iíve got an S8. Itís pretty good, but I feel like itís a step down from my prior S4 because of that dumb Bixby button. The S4 was the perfect phone. Iíd buy another one of those in a heartbeat, though I do like the waterproofing on the S8. Water damage from a bike ride in a rainstorm killed my S4.
No need to spend $100 on bluetooth headphones. These are the ones I've used for two years and they are great.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Headpho...gateway&sr=8-3
Old 03-01-2019, 12:47 PM
CAS

My "tiny chopstick" method works well for removing lint, fyi.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:10 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i'm no battery expert, but i don't think planned obsolescence is why batteries degrade over time.
It's a known problem regarding capacitors in batteries. They get less efficient over time (they bleed more and more charge as they are re-charged over the years).

Not really much you can do other than use higher quality materials. This should minimize the problem (but does not eliminate it)
Old 04-07-2019, 02:37 PM
COPA

Studying for FAP (hehehe nice)

Just got this a couple hours ago. Basically just seems like a newer version of my previous Galaxy imo.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:53 PM
COPA

Studying for FAP (hehehe nice)

idk who bixby is, but i'm not a fan. shouldn't need a button for that crap when my prior galaxy was fine with the "hey, google"