Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #291  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:12 AM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Well, you could go a different angle with this. Like you said, we're social by nature. I find that work is a good way to socialize, especially if you're doing something you're passionate about. I would love to retire early from what I'm doing now, and then go do something that makes a lot less money, but "gives back" to society. I might teach again, for instance.
This. If I feel the desire to keep working to have some kind of identity or purpose or whatever, I'm over the corporate world. I like what I do, but there are tons of deadlines, I have to manage people, it's a lot of hassle. If I had enough cash in the bank, I'd think hard about teaching, volunteering, or getting a job doing something I consider to be more fun than sitting around the office all day. Hawaii has a constant shortage of teachers, maybe go teach math in Hawaii for five years.

Plus all the stuff I like to do but can't do enough of... I could do more of that. Traveling, reading, exercising, learning to cook.

So yeah, I think I could find something worthwhile, versus trying to move up one more rung on the corporate ladder. Don't get me wrong, I find my job interesting, but if I had the means, I'd be doing something else.
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:12 AM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
I don't think it will make a big dent. There is still a pretty small minority who seek FIRE, fewer still who will actually achieve it, and a subset of those will choose the route of a student health plan. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
This one simple* trick! Underwriters hate it.

*if you have a seven figure net worth.
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Effa's Avatar
Effa Effa is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: One Nation, Under Canada
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
I don't think it will make a big dent. There is still a pretty small minority who seek FIRE, fewer still who will actually achieve it, and a subset of those will choose the route of a student health plan. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Agree from a FIRE perspective, but I think anyone needing non-employer coverage could benefit from this though? As ACA and other individual coverages keep getting more expensive, there could be more and more people realizing this might be a good option, and the schools will surely crack down if the subsidization by their "regular" undergrads starts to be a burden. Nothing to worry about right now, but in the next downturn it'll be interesting to see if this becomes a thing.
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:40 AM
redprinceton's Avatar
redprinceton redprinceton is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 18,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
I don't think it will make a big dent. There is still a pretty small minority who seek FIRE, fewer still who will actually achieve it, and a subset of those will choose the route of a student health plan. I don't see that changing anytime soon.


It's the same idea behind credit card churning IMO. It's literally free money!! I used to be shocked that card companies did this. But so few people can keep up with the things you need to do in order to make it worth it.
__________________
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:46 AM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post


It's the same idea behind credit card churning IMO. It's literally free money!! I used to be shocked that card companies did this. But so few people can keep up with the things you need to do in order to make it worth it.
Partly this. I assume you can't continue to sign up for a class, put in zero effort and fail, and repeat. You have to put forth the effort to pass a class, even if it's a fairly easy course.

And it comes with costs. If the recession hits, many of the unemployed wouldn't have the $2k or whatever to sign up for college. Maybe they could get loans or a grant, but that adds to your point about the hassle factor.

This idea existed pre-ACA and it didn't break the system. Costs have gone up since then, so there might be a bit more demand now vs pre-ACA. But I doubt it's going to hit the radar in the medium term at least. Could be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:52 AM
twig93's Avatar
twig93 twig93 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 29,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
This. If I feel the desire to keep working to have some kind of identity or purpose or whatever, I'm over the corporate world. I like what I do, but there are tons of deadlines, I have to manage people, it's a lot of hassle. If I had enough cash in the bank, I'd think hard about teaching, volunteering, or getting a job doing something I consider to be more fun than sitting around the office all day. Hawaii has a constant shortage of teachers, maybe go teach math in Hawaii for five years.

Plus all the stuff I like to do but can't do enough of... I could do more of that. Traveling, reading, exercising, learning to cook.

So yeah, I think I could find something worthwhile, versus trying to move up one more rung on the corporate ladder. Don't get me wrong, I find my job interesting, but if I had the means, I'd be doing something else.
If you don't like managing people, I don't think you'll like being a teacher.

Managing actuaries, actuarial students, or really any white collar employees is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY easier than managing a classroom.

I agree with the rest of your post though.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gandalf
The thing that is clearest is twig's advice
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:55 AM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
If you don't like managing people, I don't think you'll like being a teacher.
Fair point. I was a TA in college, that's my reference point, it was pretty stress-free. Dealing with 25 HS kids might not be the best fit. Also, I hate mornings.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Mr F's Avatar
Mr F Mr F is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post


It's the same idea behind credit card churning IMO. It's literally free money!! I used to be shocked that card companies did this. But so few people can keep up with the things you need to do in order to make it worth it.
Churning is actually getting nerfed because of such low effort required. But student plans? Nah.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Mr F's Avatar
Mr F Mr F is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
And it comes with costs. If the recession hits, many of the unemployed wouldn't have the $2k or whatever to sign up for college. Maybe they could get loans or a grant, but that adds to your point about the hassle factor.

This idea existed pre-ACA and it didn't break the system. Costs have gone up since then, so there might be a bit more demand now vs pre-ACA. But I doubt it's going to hit the radar in the medium term at least. Could be wrong.
Right. It didn't break anything the last time around. This time around there are ACA subsidies for many of those people that are there due to a recession (presumably they lost their job and aren't earning a lot of money, that's why they are in need in the first place), and costs for those people aren't really going up because of the way the subsidies are structured. For a number of others, they would pass underwriting and can join the STMM/whatever plans that are popping up (and will continue to be).

All of those options could go away someday, but the conditions aren't there for this bit push to student plans. Not right now anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:08 PM
twig93's Avatar
twig93 twig93 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 29,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Fair point. I was a TA in college, that's my reference point, it was pretty stress-free. Dealing with 25 HS kids might not be the best fit. Also, I hate mornings.
Go back to college and be a TA again. Student health insurance, and a nice stress-free job. Problem solved!

You could do this at the University of Hawaii if you want to move to Hawaii.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gandalf
The thing that is clearest is twig's advice
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.15325 seconds with 9 queries