Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

I'm not really a fan of souls-like games. I think a lot of their difficulty is artificial by having punishing failure mechanics, tons of ambiguity, and setting the player up failure a lot. If you have time and patience, it doesn't really take more skill than a lot of other rpgs out there.

Fallout/ES games are fun. I think Oblivon was one of the best games I've played. Played skyrim, but wasn't as good as oblivion.

I use to really like JRPGs...but I think I'm mostly done trying them. Hard to just get past the terrible dialog and cheesy characters.

I've played a bunch of MMOs. I tend to like those quite a bit since it seems like those really have a lot of the character building, min-maxing, and gearing gameplay I like. But companies seem to have pretty much stopped making those and now all that exists are crappy F2P ones and WoW.
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldancer911 View Post
I'm not really a fan of souls-like games. I think a lot of their difficulty is artificial by having punishing failure mechanics, tons of ambiguity, and setting the player up failure a lot. If you have time and patience, it doesn't really take more skill than a lot of other rpgs out there.
Most rpgs are incredibly easy. Even once you know the mechanics of souls games they are still designed to be difficult. The difficulty is a big part of their appeal.

Also, I think all difficulty in single player gaming is artificial. If you want to make a challenging game then you are going to either have to arbitrarily set enemy health higher, or enemy skill higher. About the only thing I can think of that doesn't really fall into that category is puzzles within games but most games don't have a lot of that. Most games are just designed now to have low difficulty.
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
Good call, you can level up your weapons in R&C games. It's hard to define RPGs any more. Really hard to define most genres.
Otoh, it's always been silly to use "role playing" to mean "games where you have lots of stats that increase".
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldancer911 View Post
I've played a bunch of MMOs. I tend to like those quite a bit since it seems like those really have a lot of the character building, min-maxing, and gearing gameplay I like.
I like the idea of MMOs. But it turns out that I... don't really like other players.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
Most rpgs are incredibly easy. Even once you know the mechanics of souls games they are still designed to be difficult. The difficulty is a big part of their appeal.

Also, I think all difficulty in single player gaming is artificial. If you want to make a challenging game then you are going to either have to arbitrarily set enemy health higher, or enemy skill higher. About the only thing I can think of that doesn't really fall into that category is puzzles within games but most games don't have a lot of that. Most games are just designed now to have low difficulty.
Portal

Also, Dishonored and Prey, imo. Yeah, some of the enemies get harder and scarier... but they both reward creative gameplay solutions. Dishonored, especially, can be played without any direct combat and minimal interaction with enemies.

I don't really know what genre to call Dishonored though.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one