Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 09-20-2018, 03:02 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Working on #4.

They say you can't get too attached to certain entries, sometimes you just gotta rip a whole bunch of stuff out and start over... but I'm REALLY attached to this one 8-letter entry that I managed to get in there.
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Piercing/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 09-20-2018, 03:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
Here it is!

Hi, Klaymen --

Sam Ezersky here writing for Will, with regrets on your 15x submission. Solid work, but this sort of theme gimmick felt a bit too familiar to excite us enough for acceptance. Very sorry!…

(it did have Will Shortz's name on it and was from WShortz@aol.com)
Working on this puzzle now while waiting for a program to run. One of the first things I noticed is that 10 down doesn't look possible.

Spoiler:
I think the answer to 10 Down should be XLVIIIHRS, but there's two extra spaces... guessing that you're going for XLVIIIHOURS. But the name of the movie is "48 Hrs.", not "48 Hours". Or possibly I'm an idiot and got the Roman numerals wrong...
Old 09-27-2018, 11:27 AM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Silver Haze View Post
Working on #4.

They say you can't get too attached to certain entries, sometimes you just gotta rip a whole bunch of stuff out and start over... but I'm REALLY attached to this one 8-letter entry that I managed to get in there.
Everything fell into place yesterday. Reworked 3 sections, managed to keep that 8-letter entry that I loved, and I'm at the point where I feel pretty good (but not fantastic) about the whole thing. And it set some new personal bests: 36 black squares, average word length 4.97, only missing the letters F and Q.

I notice that (imo) my best, most interesting crossword fills come from being in difficult situations. I also notice that I'm not as up-to-date on the world in general as I would like to be. Much of what I'm referencing is mid-90s or early 2000s.
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Piercing/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 10-02-2018, 07:07 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

REJECTED! By the New York Times.

Quote:
Hi, (SSH)--

Sam Ezersky here writing for Will, unfortunately with regrets on your 15x submission. Solid work on this, especially with that theme answer interlock, but the puns just weren't grabbing us quite enough to say yes. Very sorry, though we appreciated the look!

Respectfully,

Sam
I'll put it up sometime tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:36 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Here it is. I guess part of the problem would be the idea that inanimate objects can have romantic relationships...
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Crossword #1.xlsx (12.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 PM

thanks for posting. i liked this one a bit better than the last.

had never heard of the answer for #55 across, but then i googled it. guess i'm not up on all the new slang
Old 10-03-2018, 02:02 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triweasel View Post
had never heard of the answer for #55 across, but then i googled it. guess i'm not up on all the new slang
I was trying to come up with peppy, original clues, but that one is a blatant drug abuse reference and probably would have gotten re-clued by an editor if the crossword was going to be published. I sort of realized that after mailing it out, but figured it wouldn't be a big deal since it would be so easy to find a new clue for it.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Chief Semiotician, Retired
CAS

Favorite beer: Beer is for closers

Quote:
Here it is. I guess part of the problem would be the idea that inanimate objects can have romantic relationships...
plausible in some circumstances imo
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2018, 04:10 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Will be sending #4 to the LA Times tomorrow. Have an idea for #5 that I think could be a winner, so I want to make sure that one goes to the NYT.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:53 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Quote:
Have an idea for #5 that I think could be a winner, so I want to make sure that one goes to the NYT.
This one has not really gotten off the ground yet. I have a crossword compiler on my home computer that makes it easier to set up this particular idea when I'm at home than when I'm at work. Lately, though, I've been doing things other than crossword construction with my free time.

Also, I don't really know how to approach this setup thing in a systematic way. I'm just sort of moving the theme entries and black squares around haphazardly and seeing if it leads to something workable.

I do still think it's a good concept, and something that's possible to construct. It's just that the step up in difficulty is proving to be daunting.