Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 10-01-2018, 03:17 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The November problems (matchpoints question and imps question). Deadline Oct 20.

Code:
See below (for agreements), East-West vulnerable

S-KQ7 H-4 D-A6432 C-AQJ4
South. West.  North. East
              Pass.  Pass
1D.    2H.    Dbl*.  3H
?	

* - negative
Dbl = extras, no clear bid; 3NT = to play
4♥ = very strong spade raise

(A) What do you call at matchpoints?
(B) What do you call at imps?
My initial thought is to double at either scoring, especially imps. At imps, I see no chance that partner will sit if it makes, and if we get only +200 when he sits that wont be too bad. If I pick a game without doublng first, it might not make. If I double and he pulls, well reach game, but more likely to be in the best game than if I had guessed without hearing him call over the double.

For matchpoints, I dont feel nearly as confident.Partner will want to pass at this vulnerability, so 3H X making is possible, and +200 is not as good as bidding and making a game. Im still leaning toward double, maximizing our chances of playing in the correct denomination.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now with only 2 months left, Im in a 3-way tie for second among panelists at 790. Two solvers are tied for the solver lead at 790, including Len Helfgott, who is not in quite as good shape as the partner with whom he is tied, since lowest 2 months get dropped. Len currently has an 80 dropped and the other has a 90 dropped, so if each were to score 80 or less on the November problems. Len would move to only 870 while his opponent would move to 880. I dont remember what my dropped scores are, but think at least one was quite low, so I better get at least one 100 in the last 2 months.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
Now with only 2 months left, Im in a 3-way tie for second among panelists at 790. Two solvers are tied for the solver lead at 790, including Len Helfgott, who is not in quite as good shape as the partner with whom he is tied, since lowest 2 months get dropped. Len currently has an 80 dropped and the other has a 90 dropped, so if each were to score 80 or less on the November problems. Len would move to only 870 while his opponent would move to 880. I dont remember what my dropped scores are, but think at least one was quite low, so I better get at least one 100 in the last 2 months.
Not familiar with the scoring rules nor the overall scoring and standards. My inclinatioon here is to eschew the Dbl and bid 4C at IMPs. 4H seems a bit much, as does 4S and a conservative 3S is second choice, Even at matchpoints I'd go for 4C.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:08 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

This is close between double and 4C. I simply refuse to pass with this good of a hand. Of the two, I prefer double, because sometimes partner will have a fifth spade and be able to bid 3S. I don't really see why I might bid differently at matchpoints versus IMPs, but I could see partner being less willing to sit at IMPs, so that's a good thing. A key point is that partner knows I don't have a balanced 15-17, so my extra values double should show approximately this hand, though perhaps this is a minimum.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:19 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Submitted
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------
Problem set: November 2018
Respondent: Steve White (D4)
--------------------------------------------------------

Problem 1
Steve White: Four clubs. Would prefer to double if I knew partner would pull, but at this vulnerability at matchpoints he will be sorely tempted to sit, and that will too often be wrong, only +200 vs a game, Still tempted to double, since bidding may get us to the wrong game, and sometimes 3H X is best. There's even some danger that 4C gets passed out.

Problem 2
Steve White: Double. Stands out. At imps, partner won't pass on a close choice, so our main downside is only +200 vs a game. On the upside, we're very likely to play in our correct suit (I will raise to game, of course.)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
Submitted
I like your answers. I would have preferred 4H at IMPs if it were "pick a game". But it was explained that it would be a strong spade raise, which seems a bit silly. Game before slam.