Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by edIT View Post
So a spring exam attempt and a fall exam attempt would count 15 hours each, correct? (assuming they are an "effective attempt") Or are study hours for the year capped at 15?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
That must be a really old page. It refers to the now-defunct "CAS alternative CE requirement" that you could follow if you weren't in a country whose requirement superseded that one. If you aren't bound by one (or more) of the standard National requirements (US, Can, UK, maybe some others) you now have to pick a national requirement and meet it.

Under the AAA rules, you can count the actual time you spend studying hour for hour as non-organized CE hours.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:08 AM
CAS

More questions

I believe I read somewhere that I could theoretically get my hours done for both 2017 and 2018 right now if I put 60 hours in. Does it work going the other way too?

I just got my ACAS in September, so need to get 30 hours by the end of this year, but am wondering if I can use hours from studying for my Fall 2016 exam for my 30 hours for year-end 2017.

Going further on the point above, I took exam 6 in the Fall of 2016, and had to retake it in Spring 2017. If I can use Fall 2016 exam hours, can I still use them knowing that I took the same exam both sittings?

Although I took Exam 8 this fall, I'm not sure if I am going to even earn an "effective attempt". (it wasn't a good past few months...)

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 AM
CAS

Quote:
More questions

I believe I read somewhere that I could theoretically get my hours done for both 2017 and 2018 right now if I put 60 hours in. Does it work going the other way too?

I just got my ACAS in September, so need to get 30 hours by the end of this year, but am wondering if I can use hours from studying for my Fall 2016 exam for my 30 hours for year-end 2017.

Going further on the point above, I took exam 6 in the Fall of 2016, and had to retake it in Spring 2017. If I can use Fall 2016 exam hours, can I still use them knowing that I took the same exam both sittings?

Although I took Exam 8 this fall, I'm not sure if I am going to even earn an "effective attempt". (it wasn't a good past few months...)

Cheers!
Re-read the previous post: under AAA rules you can count all study hours, and there's nothing about "effective" attempts. So you almost certainly have your 30 hours.

But you also need to satisfy the requirements for professionalism (3) and organized (6) hours.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Quote:
I thought getting ACAS meant you satisfied the requirements during the year in which you got the credential?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
I thought getting ACAS meant you satisfied the requirements during the year in which you got the credential?
Nope. not automatically. It's pretty hard to get ACAS without doing 30 hours of CE and 3 hours of professionalism, but it would be possible to not have any organized CE, which you need.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

If this is what I have on my profile, wouldn't I be good to go?

I guess I should read this PDF this morning... http://www.casact.org/cms/files/CAS_CE_Policy.pdf
Old 12-05-2017, 10:55 AM
CAS

Grape, you still need to attest for 2018.