Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > VEE > Statistics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 AM
SOA

Studying for FSA Stuff
College: Purdue University Alumni
Favorite beer: Avery The Reverand

I purchased this earlier this week and finished the first three units so was about to take assignment 1.

Are there time restraints on these? How long does each one take?

I wanted to make sure I wasn't starting an assignment if I wasn't sure I'd have time to finish it.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:07 AM
SOA

College: Lehigh University Alumnus
Favorite beer: Victory HopDevil IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1per41 View Post
I purchased this earlier this week and finished the first three units so was about to take assignment 1.

Are there time restraints on these? How long does each one take?

I wanted to make sure I wasn't starting an assignment if I wasn't sure I'd have time to finish it.
There is a 24 hour time limit on the assignments. They shouldn't take much more than 60-90 minutes to complete, however.

I took multiple small breaks and double-checked my work, but still finished within an hour and a half for all three assignments. The first assignment is probably the most time-consuming since it involves more computational problems.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:08 AM
CAS

I just purchased this course, where can I find the recommended text?

And is it downloadable as a PDF file?

THanks
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 AM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipserydr View Post
I just purchased this course, where can I find the recommended text?

And is it downloadable as a PDF file?

THanks
The textbook for this course can be purchased from VitalSource at https://www.vitalsource.com/products...alt-solutions- cfa-institute-v9781119262688. This textbook is only available in electronic format.

If you are outside North America, we recommend this text:

DeFusco, et.al. Quantitative Methods for Investment Analysis (2nd Edition). Baltimore, MD: CFA Institute, 2004. ISBN 13: 978-1932495089
Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 PM
SOA

Studying for Advanced

TKT, a friend of mine asks me plans to take the CA VEE course, and she ask me to be a proctor for her final exam since she is currently unemployed.

Could you please private message me what I need to do as a proctor. I understand step 1-4, but step 5 confuses me a little bit. Do I need to stay and watch her doing the exam the whole time? Am i going to see the screen or my friend's face during the final exam?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:51 PM
SOA

College: University of Massachusetts

The SOA site says that Coaching Actuaries provides the results directly to the SOA. How long does this take? Would I be able to pass the course before the July 1st deadline if I started now?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncheney View Post
The SOA site says that Coaching Actuaries provides the results directly to the SOA. How long does this take? Would I be able to pass the course before the July 1st deadline if I started now?
Coaching Actuaries will email grade slips to candidates and SOA/CAS on the 1st and 15th of every month. Once you receive your grade slip, you can apply for credit with SOA.

If you are interested in taking VEE Applied Statistics before the exam change goes into effect on 7/1/2018, Coaching Actuaries recommends you start the course as soon as you are able. We advise students to allot 30 study hours to complete the VEE Applied Statistics course. If you take the course with Coaching Actuaries, you will need to successfully complete the course before 6/30/2018 so we can send your name as a passing candidate to SOA/CAS.

Please let email support@coachingactuaries.com know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:58 AM
SOA

Studying for Financial Mathematics
College: University Of Crete - Mathematics, University Of Piraeus - Actuarial Science and Risk Management
Favorite beer: Maisel's Weisse

Hello everyone,

I have passed only one course (Probability) on November of 2017 and i was told that i should try for VEE Applied Statistics in order to get advantage of the transition on the curriculum on the 1st of July 2018.
I read on the SOA website that, i can try and pass the VEE AS before the transition deadline, but i can apply for the credit ONLY when i will pass a second exam (Financial Mathematics for example).
The question is, when i will pass the second exam required and later on after the transition deadline (30th of June 2018), i will apply for the VEE AS credit, will the two courses that VEE AS is going to be divided into, be recognized to my transcript?
In a few words, if i pass VEE AS before the transition, but will apply for credit to SOA after the deadline, will my transcript contain both VEE Mathematical Statistics and Statistics for Risk Modelling Exam?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:45 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by takis1983 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have passed only one course (Probability) on November of 2017 and i was told that i should try for VEE Applied Statistics in order to get advantage of the transition on the curriculum on the 1st of July 2018.
I read on the SOA website that, i can try and pass the VEE AS before the transition deadline, but i can apply for the credit ONLY when i will pass a second exam (Financial Mathematics for example).
The question is, when i will pass the second exam required and later on after the transition deadline (30th of June 2018), i will apply for the VEE AS credit, will the two courses that VEE AS is going to be divided into, be recognized to my transcript?
In a few words, if i pass VEE AS before the transition, but will apply for credit to SOA after the deadline, will my transcript contain both VEE Mathematical Statistics and Statistics for Risk Modelling Exam?

Thanks in advance.
Once you successfully complete the VEE Applied Stats course and receive a passing grade, you earn the credit. There is no time limit on these dates. If the course was approved for Applied Stats for the time period 1975 - June 31st 2018, then any credits earned during that time period can be claimed.

You can claim the credit from the SOA by filing the application. There is no limit on when the credit can be claimed. A course can be claimed decades after it was taken, as long as the earned date falls within the SOA approved date range of the course.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by tkt; 01-29-2018 at 03:29 PM..
Old 01-29-2018, 12:16 PM
SOA

Studying for Financial Mathematics
College: University Of Crete - Mathematics, University Of Piraeus - Actuarial Science and Risk Management
Favorite beer: Maisel's Weisse

Totally helps.
Thank You very much Tong.

Best Regards.