Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 01-09-2018, 04:46 PM
CAS

Default Internship experience advice

I wanted to know the forums opinion of this paid internship i just started with a forensic accounting firm that i thought would be considered (at least) decent experience to eventually land an EL job. Official title is forensic analyst and i do alot of grunt work (data entry/ manipulation, occasional lookups and pivots, ect) do you guys think this will be something EL actuarial employers will think is valuable? And how much long do you think is required to be considered? I previously worked at a bank in sales so this is my first office life experience so i thought it would be a good idea to transition to this.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozey_actuary View Post
I wanted to know the forums opinion of this paid internship i just started with a forensic accounting firm that i thought would be considered (at least) decent experience to eventually land an EL job. Official title is forensic analyst and i do alot of grunt work (data entry/ manipulation, occasional lookups and pivots, ect) do you guys think this will be something EL actuarial employers will think is valuable? And how much long do you think is required to be considered? I previously worked at a bank in sales so this is my first office life experience so i thought it would be a good idea to transition to this.
data entry, pivot tables and vlookups are like 50% of what a actuarial intern would do. The experience is valuable so long as you describe it as such.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:02 PM

Be able to identify some detailed tasks that you performed, as well as demonstrating some idea (doesn't have to be perfect) of why these tasks were valuable to the company/client, and this should work out very well.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:18 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for ALL DONE!!

"Official title is forensic analyst and i do alot of grunt work (data entry/ manipulation, occasional lookups and pivots, ect) do you guys think this will be something EL actuarial employers will think is valuable? And how much long do you think is required to be considered? "

This and 2 exams would make me want to talk to you. Internships are often 3-4 months. I'd want to see at least 3 mos. Don't quit after 3 months though. Keep at it if the internship doesn't end until you have an EL job.

When you write your resume and cover letter, proof, proof, and proof again. You have some typos in your post. I'm not going to get on you for typos in the informal communication here, but I say it just in case you aren't used to proofing. I've put more than one resume in the trash because of typos. I figure if someone can't be careful in presenting their resume to me, why should I expect them to be careful in their work.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:00 PM
CAS

I passed 3 exams but i wasn't getting many replies which i believe was due to a lack of an internship/office experience. So I'm hoping this experience will make me more competitive.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:25 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Yes, this experience (communicated adequately) combined with your exam history would make you an interesting intern candidate.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM
CAS

Do you mean EL candidate ?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:03 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozey_actuary View Post
Do you mean EL candidate ?
It doesn't matter, It applies to both.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:17 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

It would apply to both, yes.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).