Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > VEE > Economics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 01-12-2018, 03:45 PM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.
Default PSA: You have 1 month and 2 days to do VEE, it's now or never.

Edit: the title of my post is misleading, please read this first:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Camilli View Post
To further clarify -- you need to complete and submit by the April deadline in order to achieve your ASA prior to the transition date of July 1. However, if you aren't planning on achieving your ASA prior to the transition date (which means actually having your name published in the list of new ASAs), then you can complete your course and achieve a passing grade any time before July 1. You don't need to report your grade/credit to the SOA before July 1, you just need the reporting body to have the grade finalized and reported before July 1. So, if you take the course with ACTEX or Coaching Actuaries in June and pass before our/their deadlines, you can report your grade to the SOA at any point in the future, even years down the road, and the transition credit of Applied Stats converting into VEE Math Stat and SRM would still be applicable. I hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask for further clarification if necessary.

https://www.soa.org/Education/Genera...ransition.aspx

It is possible to do all three VEE (four courses) with CoachingActuaries within an extremely short period of time if you put in some effort.

Speaking from personal experience: I started on the November 3rd, 2017 and finished on December 14th, 2017.

The exact timeline is this:

Microeconomics: Start: November 3rd, Final exam: November 13th.

Macroeconomics: Start: November 14th, Final exam: November 20th.

Applied statistics: Start: November 21st, Final exam: November 29th.

Took a short Break.

Corporate finance: Start: December 6th, Final exam: December 14th.

Basically you can do one course in 1 week, there are four courses (as economics has micro and macro components).

After you take the final exam, coaching actuaries will send your grade (if you get B or A) to SOA and you can file for VEE application.

The difficulty is lower than exam P.

Last edited by Pension.Mathematics; 01-16-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Old 01-13-2018, 12:58 PM
SOA

Do you know how long will it take to know the result? For ex, if I take final exam on Feb 13 or 14, is it enough time to submit the result before 15th?
Thanks.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:08 PM
SOA

College: Brown University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

Hi All,

Just so that you know, that date is the final date to submit a course outline for approval (i.e. if you were a university seeking approval for a course), and stil have time to receive your ASA. You have time to submit a request for VEE credit approval until April 27, which in the case of ACTEX Learning we ask you to allow for one week from the date of the final exam to allow us to grade and submit to the SOA. So, you would need to take your final exam and obtain a passing grade by April 20 if you are seeking to obtain your ASA, or by June 23, if you are seeking to obtain transition credit.

You can read more about our courses here:

Thanks,

Stephen

Click to view our Actuarial eLearning Offerings:
Webinars | Exam Prep | VEE Courses
Old 01-15-2018, 12:47 PM
SOA

Quote:
Hi All,

Just so that you know, that date is the final date to submit a course outline for approval (i.e. if you were a university seeking approval for a course), and stil have time to receive your ASA. You have time to submit a request for VEE credit approval until April 27, which in the case of ACTEX Learning we ask you to allow for one week from the date of the final exam to allow us to grade and submit to the SOA. So, you would need to take your final exam and obtain a passing grade by April 20 if you are seeking to obtain your ASA, or by June 23, if you are seeking to obtain transition credit.

You can read more about our courses here:

Thanks,

Stephen
thanks for clearing that up. I read that page again and Stephen is right.

so websites like CoachingActuaries and ACTEX are good until April for VEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuong Nguyen View Post
Do you know how long will it take to know the result? For ex, if I take final exam on Feb 13 or 14, is it enough time to submit the result before 15th?
Thanks.
based on my observation:

CoachingActuaries submits grades to SOA twice a month, 15th (for all exams taken from 1st to 14th) and 1st (for all exams taken from 15th to month end).
Old 01-15-2018, 01:55 PM
SOA

I need a little extra clarification - this is only if you want to make the pre-change deadline to become an ASA? In other words if you aren't you can still take a currently approved VEE class for credit up until July 1, assuming you have passed that course, and then it count for credit toward the transition course?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:40 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngxxx081 View Post
I need a little extra clarification - this is only if you want to make the pre-change deadline to become an ASA? In other words if you aren't you can still take a currently approved VEE class for credit up until July 1, assuming you have passed that course, and then it count for credit toward the transition course?
The title of the SOA page says

"Timing for candidates seeking to attain an ASA or CERA prior to July 1, 2018 transition"

Hope that helps!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:17 AM
SOA

College: Brown University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

To further clarify -- you need to complete and submit by the April deadline in order to achieve your ASA prior to the transition date of July 1. However, if you aren't planning on achieving your ASA prior to the transition date (which means actually having your name published in the list of new ASAs), then you can complete your course and achieve a passing grade any time before July 1. You don't need to report your grade/credit to the SOA before July 1, you just need the reporting body to have the grade finalized and reported before July 1. So, if you take the course with ACTEX or Coaching Actuaries in June and pass before our/their deadlines, you can report your grade to the SOA at any point in the future, even years down the road, and the transition credit of Applied Stats converting into VEE Math Stat and SRM would still be applicable. I hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask for further clarification if necessary.

Click to view our Actuarial eLearning Offerings:
Webinars | Exam Prep | VEE Courses
Old 01-16-2018, 10:21 AM
SOA

Quote:
thanks, updated OP with the accurate information that you provided.