Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-03-2018, 08:13 PM
SOA AAA

I could hit Vegas to watch that. And April is a good time to go.

Now, is the tournament really 3 months long?? Your team bowls for a few days, then best teams (or doubles or singles) gather for the final week or something?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:07 AM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I could hit Vegas to watch that. And April is a good time to go.

Now, is the tournament really 3 months long?? Your team bowls for a few days, then best teams (or doubles or singles) gather for the final week or something?
You go and bowl once. Your score than just compares against eveyone else who goes during their dates. Best team score wins, best doubles combined score, best singles score.

So if you take the lead early in the tournament, you are basically scoreboard watching until the final day of the tournament to see if you held on to win.

There are three doubles/singles squads a day, and two team squads. Starting at 7am and usually finishing up around 1am or so. Basically every day of the tournament. So its nice to get there a day before to watch the people having success and the type of balls they are using. They dont release the pattern beforehand anymore so you have to figure it out as you go.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
Im bowling in the Dutchman tournament again this year in April. Still finalizing a team for nationals (looking at mid/late June). I think we have our 5, but were trying to line it up with another team so everyone can bowl doubles.
If you can't, you could always try the sub board to find someone willing to bowl doubles/singles with your 5th person. There are probably locals in Syracuse that would be willing to do that. There is the online site and then as a last resort they have like a sub board onsite that has people's names to call if it comes down to that.

It can be tough to get 10 people to commit every year, but been able to do that now for like the last 5 years.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Curmudgeon's Better Half

Had a super frustrating series with my new ball last night. Shot 236-169-165 for a 570 series. The first game was great - hitting the pocket on every shot and left single pins in the 4, 9 and 10 spots at various points in the game.

Then something just changed on the lanes. My ball was reacting too much at the beginning of game 2. I tried to move left but that caused my ball to hit the pocket without much drive and I kept leaving 10 pins and 6-10 combos. Of course, I kept chopping the 6 off of the 6-10 to spiral my otherwise clean game.

Same thing third game. I just felt like my margin of error shrank down to half a board. I guess at this point I could have gone back to my old ball which has less reaction, but I really wanted to power through to see if I could find a good adjustment with my new ball.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:46 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess View Post
Sweet - never been to South Point but I do make it to Vegas a few times a year (I think I met you once at NYNY).

I'm in Reno each year in March already for the cribbage national open and absolutely love it there. I get comp rooms at Eldo (or I did before they merged), and I'm always looking for an excuse to use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohete009 View Post
Haha yep, you did.

Yeah, not sure how that whole merger worked but used to get free rooms from El Dorado all the time before that. We would play endless hours of double deck BJ in their "high limit" section which most of the time had some $10 tables in there. Their brew pub upstairs is pretty solid. Always like that place.
Of course after 2 years of not getting any mail from Eldorado I get a free room mailer the day after I complain about it.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess View Post
Of course after 2 years of not getting any mail from Eldorado I get a free room mailer the day after I complain about it.
Ha, fittingly!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:05 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Last 6 weeks of my Thursday league I’ve been clicking. Over the 6 week span I’ve raised my average from 199 (I had been struggling) to 206 by averaging over 218 during the span.

The first game of 6 weeks ago was 189 (10 puns under) and since then I’ve only missed average one game (and only by one pin).

On Wednesday where I’m the occasional sub (5th man) I just struggled this week and dropped from 211 to 209. The night wouldn’t have been so bad if not for a pocket 7/9 split in the 10th that killed the double I had going into the frame. Oh well. Split happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 01-12-2018, 08:55 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for 8

Does anyone here use a semi-grip fitting? I.e. grips but instead of just the finger tips going into the ball it's more like half the finger. My previous ball had this fit and I felt like I had a lot more control.

I recently got a new ball with just the finger tips and I feel like my reaction down the lane is unpredictable. I don't think I can blame the ball because I will throw it on the same line on the same lane and get very different results.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:30 PM

Nope. Cohete uses a traditional finger tip drilling but no grips. Never used them as a kid and dont really like them. Have used them when testing balls at demo days where they put them in for you to try, but would rather not use them. It helps cohete not grab and try to make the ball hook. Just let it naturally flow off the fingers and rotate.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:37 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Traditional finger tips for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself