Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 47,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpst View Post
Because I got in pretty late. People have been posting Youtube videos about these strategies since 2014, but I only found out about it back in August. It looks like the opportunity won't last for much longer anyway:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-than-it-looks

Plus, getting a job is not just about making money. I genuinely enjoy building models and making predictions.
I saw an opening for a crypto trader at Akuna Capital...
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:44 PM
soyleche's Avatar
soyleche soyleche is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,864
Default

I started a Data Science job just a few months ago after 13 years as an actuary. I have a BS in Statistics, but no advanced degrees. The lack of an advanced degree was making the job search difficult, so I decided to take the immersive course at Galvanize. Besides being a good educational experience, they helped quite a bit with the job search - including happening to hold a job fair for the company I ended up getting a job with. I can definitely say that without Galvanize I would not have the job I have today.
__________________
I'll never again say that I could never enjoy Bieber sung by a bunch of Mormons - Ben Folds
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-12-2018, 11:34 PM
royevans royevans is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyleche View Post
I started a Data Science job just a few months ago after 13 years as an actuary. I have a BS in Statistics, but no advanced degrees. The lack of an advanced degree was making the job search difficult, so I decided to take the immersive course at Galvanize. Besides being a good educational experience, they helped quite a bit with the job search - including happening to hold a job fair for the company I ended up getting a job with. I can definitely say that without Galvanize I would not have the job I have today.
bot?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-13-2018, 12:41 AM
soyleche's Avatar
soyleche soyleche is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
bot?
Do you want to try the Turing Test?
__________________
I'll never again say that I could never enjoy Bieber sung by a bunch of Mormons - Ben Folds
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-13-2018, 12:51 AM
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 22,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyleche View Post
I started a Data Science job just a few months ago after 13 years as an actuary. I have a BS in Statistics, but no advanced degrees. The lack of an advanced degree was making the job search difficult, so I decided to take the immersive course at Galvanize. Besides being a good educational experience, they helped quite a bit with the job search - including happening to hold a job fair for the company I ended up getting a job with. I can definitely say that without Galvanize I would not have the job I have today.
Haven't seen you post in a while so it sounds like it has been keeping you quite busy.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-13-2018, 03:39 AM
econfkw econfkw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 292
Default

OMG! So many actuaries switching career path to become DS. Are the SOA and CAS aware of this trend? There should be a thread discussing this issue.

I don't think that you need an advanced degree. I heard that many data scientists coming from India (through H1B) don't have PhD. I think your undergraduate major matters. Those companies may prefer graduates from M.I.S, data science, computer science.....
I heard that 98% graduate of Syracuse's M.I.S master program found a job upon graduation. The majority of them need H1B. Clearly, there is demand for DS.

If you are working in an insurance company, you can consider internal transfer. Many insurance companies have a data science team. If you are a health actuary, you can consider healthcare data analytics.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-13-2018, 11:44 AM
pinguino's Avatar
pinguino pinguino is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by econfkw View Post
OMG! So many actuaries switching career path to become DS. Are the SOA and CAS aware of this trend? There should be a thread discussing this issue.

I don't think that you need an advanced degree. I heard that many data scientists coming from India (through H1B) don't have PhD. I think your undergraduate major matters. Those companies may prefer graduates from M.I.S, data science, computer science.....
I heard that 98% graduate of Syracuse's M.I.S master program found a job upon graduation. The majority of them need H1B. Clearly, there is demand for DS.

If you are working in an insurance company, you can consider internal transfer. Many insurance companies have a data science team. If you are a health actuary, you can consider healthcare data analytics.
I don't know about the SOA side, but the CAS is trying to keep up with it for sure. Every single issue of the "Actuarial Review" has an article or two on predictive analytics, and they've started offering a new predictive analytics credential. (Not very valuable, IMO.)

It's possible to get a data science job without a graduate degree (I know several examples of people that did this), but your opportunities are very limited. That's why I've suggested that OP get relevant experience internally.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-13-2018, 12:55 PM
whoanonstop's Avatar
whoanonstop whoanonstop is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice
Posts: 5,817
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
It's possible to get a data science job without a graduate degree (I know several examples of people that did this), but your opportunities are very limited. That's why I've suggested that OP get relevant experience internally.
Also recognize that it won't just affect your first job search, but likely your career as a whole. Although unlikely, there is a world where my MS in Physics and a lot of working; networking, studying, etc, could have gotten me a "PhD Job" somewhere in the private sector. An initial luck in that strategy would have created heartbreak further down the road if I was trying to move to another position elsewhere. It isn't that exaggerated in Data Science and the hill can be climbed, but I'd be lying if I said that nobody will look down on your educational background and getting a job that has a tag as "data scientist" won't mean an automatic ability to move to places that are more sophisticated.

-Riley
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-13-2018, 01:02 PM
whoanonstop's Avatar
whoanonstop whoanonstop is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice
Posts: 5,817
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
...work with the same latest and greatest tools that are really popular in the DS community, like Scala/Spark, Databricks, or whatever.
I'm still confused as to why you're even using Scala. You spent a good chunk of time learning Python and the Scala API and Python API in Databricks are optimized in the exact same way. Unless you're writing low level functions on RDDs, Scala isn't going to help you. Might as well stick to Python.

-Riley
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 47,323
Default

OP, have you ever thought about being a software engineer instead? Correct me if I'm wrong, but your actual skill seems to be more appreciated than your credentials in that field.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.46015 seconds with 11 queries