Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great3981 View Post
Darron Aronofsky, Requiem for a Dream

I think he means The Fountain.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 AM

Favorite beer: Talschänke Wöllnitzer Weißbier

Quote:
Originally Posted by actexp View Post
an awful lot of truth there. I used to get to read a real book and see a real movie about twice a year, after exams. nothing about his background, but he isn't credentialled, maybe wiped out early or something
Yeah sounds like someone who worked or has been working for a couple years and not really getting anywhere with exams.

Obviously some actuarial jobs are better than others and obviously exams are harder for some people than others but it is unfortunate for someone to have such a poor attitude if it doesn't work out for them. I guess people who struggle with any career will feel cheated because it wasn't as great as the pamphlets said it would be.

I always get a chuckle when people who are obviously struggling with exams (you'll see posters on the AO from time to time who fit this profile) will belittle the mathematical ability of members of the profession or the amount of math required. Sure you don't need to be particularly good at math (relative to math undergraduate majors or graduate students not the general population) to be an actuary but I don't want someone who can't blow through the prelims critizing my math ability kthx.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 AM

the professional writing style gives the article so much credibility.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Also, me not seeing new movies is more a function of having kids than doing exams, though both arrived on the scene at the same time, so it's hard to disaggregate that effect.

The main indicator is that my other modes of entertainment: computer time, reading, MST3K didn't take much of a hit by either exams or kids. But knitting was obliterated. Hard to knit when the kids want to play with your balls of yarn. They're worse than cats.

LinkedIn Profile

Last edited by campbell; 02-26-2008 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: too many buts
Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan842967 View Post
I think he means The Fountain.

Haha!!! Thank you!!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FROR

The truth hurts, though the particulars may not apply to everyone all the time nor be 100% correct.

1. It was asserted years ago by places like "Jobs Rated Almanac" and is oft-repeated that actuaries love their jobs, or that it is a great job. As we all know, it's not for everyone. Ultimately, this is a bogus claim on both sides; does anyone love their job, and must someone love their job for it to be a worthwhile pursuit?

2. The vast majority of actuaries are at best arithmeticians, mathematically speaking. There are quite a few who qualify as mathematicians in the modern sense, but few is the operative word here.

3. I would say engineers are "nerdier" than actuaries, but from the point of view of someone who is neither nerdy or geeky, we are all in the same boat. It doesn't matter if I dress like Tim Gunn and wear Prada every day; the mere fact that I'm in an analytically-oriented profession automatically makes me a "nerd".

I've certainly questioned why I became an actuary, and I understand where this guy is coming from. I came to realize that I am quite different from the typical actuary (in Myers-Briggs terms, my INFP vs all the xxTJs and xxTPs in the profession), which has been an endless source of frustration. This guy probably is in the same boat, but he's reached a conclusion rather different from mine.

In any case, there is no point attacking him here in a forum filled with actuaries. Attack him on his blog.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 AM

1. My job rocks.
2. True.
3. Most people are nerdy in their own weird little way...I could walk all over most people in sports...especially baseball, softball, and volleyball. My gf makes me see chick flicks so I see a lot of movies.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for NADA
Favorite beer: Rochefort 10

I loved the article! Very fun writing style. I think the author does address three myths.

FYI - The "multiply two numbers" comment is a colorful metaphor for "displayed some mathematical talent." Lighten up!

1. I would guess for most actuaries "Work - Studying = Love Job" and "Work - Studying = Great Pay" Add back in studying (which mostly occurs during one's mid/late 20's and early 30's), and the equation changes. People considering the occupation need to know that.

2. Yes, several actuarial students describe themselves as an "insurance mathematician." Often this is to avoid a long, boring conversation and relate what we do into one short sentence that most people can grasp. Similar to stating "FSA is like a PhD." No, not really, but it does give a vague idea of the level of commitment and time.

3. Yep, calling most actuaries cool is like putting whip cream on an onion. Let's face it...if you are gorgeous, gregarious, and math-minded you have other options.

Looking at the "myths" of the actuarial profession does not mean it is a bad profession. Like most things, your occupational choice need to be full, informed, and made in the context of viable alternatives.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td25er View Post
3. Most people are nerdy in their own weird little way...I could walk all over most people in sports...especially baseball, softball, and volleyball.
Sorry, you're not an athlete if you can't dunk.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 AM
CAS

Studying for CAS 7
Favorite beer: Wachusett Blueberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by td25er View Post
3. Most people are nerdy in their own weird little way...I could walk all over most people in sports...especially baseball, softball, and volleyball.
If I found out someone's three best sports were baseball, softball and volleyball, Id automatically assume they weren't athletic.

SOFTBALL????? Only nerds play that game.