Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Kross View Post
do you people study all day every day or something? take saturday night off. take friday night off. take sunday afternoon off. jeez, one can still get in more than enough study hours and see 3 movies a week.
I agree. I'm definitely not some "super-social" person, but studying definitely hasn't affected my social life. In general, I rarely crack a book on weekends and I'm always willing to get together with friends if something is going on (weekday or weekend).

This changes for me (a little bit) as exam date gets closer, but - seriously - there are a good 12 hours available on a Saturday to study before anything good is going on (8am to 8pm). Even if you sleep til noon, you have 8 good hours of study time

But who knows, maybe FSA exams will kick my ass in May and I'll have to make changes to my current study habits
Old 02-26-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GosuJohn View Post
If I found out someone's three best sports were baseball, softball and volleyball, Id automatically assume they weren't athletic.

SOFTBALL????? Only nerds play that game.
I bet some of those butch softball pitchers would strike you out though! Lol
Old 02-26-2008, 12:40 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanki View Post
Try asking an actuary what the last good movie he’s seen was. When he answers “Pi” or “I can’t remember I’ve been working 80 hours a week since I was 23″ walk away and never look back.
I hear that nowadays the pictures are talkies. I hope to go again one day.

How come he never debunks the money part? Oh, right.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs1908 View Post
I bet some of those butch softball pitchers would strike you out though! Lol
Are you talking about windmill or slo-pitch?

Here, there are no windmill leagues for guys.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:50 PM
SOA AAA

Written by someone trying to cut out the competition for his job. I don't think this will work, as most actuarial candidates have nowhere else to go.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GosuJohn View Post
If I found out someone's three best sports were baseball, softball and volleyball, Id automatically assume they weren't athletic.

SOFTBALL????? Only nerds play that game.

Try playing 2 on 2 sand volleyball competitively and we'll see who's athletic.

Try playing 3rd base in a competitive men's slow-pitch league. Your 'definition' of nerds will change.

Try playing D-1 and D-2 college baseball and then talk.

I'm a decent bowler for an amateur. Now that's nerdy!!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 PM
SOA AAA

Is that a picture of the author in the article or a banner ad for "Your '70 Classmates Are Looking for You!"?

He needs to get a crowbar in his wallet and buy a decent haircut. Then get back to us about the nerd thing.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 PM
mexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post
1. I would guess for most actuaries "Work - Studying = Love Job" and "Work - Studying = Great Pay" Add back in studying (which mostly occurs during one's mid/late 20's and early 30's), and the equation changes. People considering the occupation need to know that.
Does it make me less nerdy, or just a ditz that I had to read those equations over and over to make sense of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post
3. Yep, calling most actuaries cool is like putting whip cream on an onion. Let's face it...if you are gorgeous, gregarious, and math-minded you have other options.
Even with other options, some people still prefer the meat of this profession to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
Oh, for crying out loud.

1. Most fellows are quite happy with their jobs. If the job doesn't suit you, you usually drop out before that point. It's not for everybody. It's great for some. Like practically every job on the planet.

2. A mathematician would not consider an actuary "an insurance mathematician". Rightfully so. But when trying to quickly explain the job to a non-technical layman who has zero interest in math or insurance, it's close enough.

3. There are some nerds in this game. And many non-nerds. The stereotype is wildy overstated. And most actuaries I know can talk your ear off about the latest movies. I used to be able to, and the reasons I stopped seeing many current movies had NOTHING to do with actuarial work.

For the record .. I don't get out to the movies anymore 'cause watching them from the couch is WAY more fun!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:17 PM

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Yeah, if you're going to say you're athletic, pick some different sports, like ping-pong.

Softball is fun because it's one of the only team sports you can drink at (or during) and still be successful.

Bowling (If you consider it a sport). You can drink beer and eat pizza while playing. If you're a degenerate you can even smoke.
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:28 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS 7
Favorite beer: Wachusett Blueberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by td25er View Post

Try playing 2 on 2 sand volleyball competitively and we'll see who's athletic.
Yea putting it on sand so no one can jump clearly rewards people who are athletic.

Quote:
Try playing 3rd base in a competitive men's slow-pitch league. Your 'definition' of nerds will change.
Fat beer bellies.

Quote:
Try playing D-1 and D-2 college baseball and then talk.
That would require a lot of steroids. No thx.

Quote:
I'm a decent bowler for an amateur. Now that's nerdy!!
I never knew anyone who did bowling more than once or twice a year until I worked in insurance.