Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 PM

The problem might not be that you are smarter than the person you are interviewing.....it might be that the interviewer is prejudiced against douche bags. I know that it is sad in this day and age that such prejudices are still around, but there are still some people out there who for some reason don't want to work with a douche bag no matter how smart the douche bag thinks they are. You might want to find a lawyer and sue for this blatant anti-douche bag prejudice. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 PM
SOA

I can't believe what I just read.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZK View Post
It's the internet expect typos
A person going on a rant about how superior their intellect is to any person who may be interviewing them shouldn't be making such careless mistakes. A typo is "you'er" or "your'e", I'd even give you "youre" as a typo. However, I fail to believe this is a typo.

If you're as intellectually superior to me as you claim to be, you'd see the humor in someone spouting off about how marvelously intelligent they are making an amature (yeah, I spelled it wrong on purpose) mistake.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
The problem might not be that you are smarter than the person you are interviewing.....it might be that the interviewer is prejudiced against douche bags. I know that it is sad in this day and age that such prejudices are still around, but there are still some people out there who for some reason don't want to work with a douche bag no matter how smart the douche bag thinks they are. You might want to find a lawyer and sue for this blatant anti-douche bag prejudice. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjaws View Post
A person going on a rant about how superior their intellect is to any person who may be interviewing them shouldn't be making such careless mistakes. A typo is "you'er" or "your'e", I'd even give you "youre" as a typo. However, I fail to believe this is a typo.

If you're as intellectually superior to me as you claim to be, you'd see the humor in someone spouting off about how marvelously intelligent they are making an amature (yeah, I spelled it wrong on purpose) mistake.
I think he understands it better when sarcasm is used.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldancer911 View Post
I think he understands it better when sarcasm is used.
Should I make the post red? Or do I need to add more pictures?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post
Here's the thing, self-confidence comes in several flavors. To pick some movie characters to make this a little more concrete: Hannibal Lector and Cool Hand Luke were both extremely self confident. I would feel much more comfortable sitting down and talking with the latter.

What flavor are you? (FYI - you have more than the two choices above).
True. Never seen Cool Hand Luke though. Nothing that is said is so unexplored that it causes me to react emotionally. As a result I don't really go through the gamut of facial expressions during a conversation. I smile using my eyes to do mosts of the work, and try to tell tasteful jokes when the opportunity presents itself or laugh if they tell jokes. My voice isn't monotone. I think the main thing that makes me appear different is just blankness. Anything I haven't identified as a common way to show friendliness I just don't do at all. I have a lot of interconnecting knowledge on different subjects and like to bring up deeper arguments about things that come up.

If there was a character that looks like how I TRY to come across it would be someone like John Doe. What do you think I could do better?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: A & W Root

Sorry for feeding the troll, but it raised some interesting points for discussion.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrActuary View Post
I think you should not think so much about the interview. Youu have to shut down the analytical side of your brain in an interview and try to present yourself as a person. That's the point of an interview anyways. Your credentials can speak for themselves on paper... when conducting an interview I am trying to get a feel for the candidate's personality, motivation, and communication skills. Trust me, people can tell if you are trying to analyze their reaction to your "subconscious controlled factors of my demeanor". So what if you are "smarter". You need to get to the interviewer's "level", not vice-versa.
This requires more specifics. Otherwise it could just be a metaphor with no direct connection (a central issue to the thread).

My instincts are all what other people would consider analytical. I am just fundamentally different. My brain is wired not to use certain kinds of fallacious thinking because I was trained from an early age to be this way.

When I was in college this preacher stopped everyone and preached at them about his beliefs. I began talking with him and he said something along the lines of "Think with your heart, not with your brain".

What does this mean? Obviously the preacher said it because it sounded like it meant something. The truth is though, it doesn't mean a damn thing - it's nonsense. You can call it an unconnected metaphor - it implies that one situation is like another when it really isn't.

There are millions of things people can say that sound like they mean something when they really don't. It is these types of arguments that people use to justify poor and immature behavior towards someone like me. When in reality what is behind it is a fundamental difference in character that makes the other person feel threatened.

Because my mind is trained not to think this way, people who say things like this just look like a bunch of animals running around screaming "1+1=3 SO I BETTAR THAN UZ" and then trying to pick a fight with me or using anything they can to try and attack me. What do you do in this situation when you can't even reason with people...

It really is like you have to write a book just to get the entire human race to understand certain things just so you can communicate with them again.

Last edited by TZK; 04-24-2008 at 01:08 PM..
Old 04-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZK View Post
This requires more specifics. Otherwise it could just be a metaphor with no direct connection (a central issue to the thread).

When I was in college this preacher stopped everyone and preached at them about his beliefs. I began talking with him and he said something along the lines of "Think with your heart, not with your brain".

What does this mean? Obviously the preacher said it because it sounded like it meant something. The truth is though, it doesn't mean a damn thing - it's nonsense. You can call it an unconnected metaphor - it implies that one situation is like another when it really isn't.

There are millions of things people can say that sound like they mean something when they really don't. It is these types of arguments that people use to justify poor and immature behavior towards someone like me. When in reality what is behind it is a fundamental difference in character that makes the other person feel threatened.

Because my mind is trained not to think this way, people who say things like this just look like a bunch of animals running around screaming "1+1=3 SO I BETTAR THAN UZ" and then trying to pick a fight with me or using anything they can to try and attack me.
This guy can't be serious.

Tags
origin of your