Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Nimue Nimue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
This is very true.

You may want to think on that for a while.
Excellent advice! Unfortunately, he's not going to take it.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Quasi's Avatar
Quasi Quasi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: underneath the hump
Posts: 7,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZK View Post
You wouldn't be able to clear it up because you don't know what the heck you are talking about.
The chances that you are a douche are much greater than the chance that someone who doesn't know the difference between your and you're is smarter than the person interviewing him. That clear it up?
__________________
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-24-2008, 02:50 PM
TZK TZK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,074
Default

Your argument has no connection to reality. As I said expect typos on the internet.

Probabilities are irrelevant when the argument has been presented in the thread. If you are avoiding the argument to consider probabilities, its a dead give away your full of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimue View Post
Excellent advice! Unfortunately, he's not going to take it.
As I said, I considered that and overcame it a long time ago.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-24-2008, 02:56 PM
glassjaws's Avatar
glassjaws glassjaws is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 99 Franklin St.
Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me
Posts: 45,910
Default

TZK,

Let's face it. You don't work well with others. Find a job you can do by yourself, like hunter-gatherer. You win because you don't have stupider people than you bossing you around and we'd win since you'd be gone.

Deal, or no deal? :howiemandelsoulpatch:
__________________
I am the background noise of life
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 PM
mexx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZK View Post
Average is not meant to be derogatory there.
Smarty-Smart still doesn't get it .. anyone want to jump in, or should I do it myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Nob View Post
Alright, which one of you has been stealing in order to avoid admitting you are wrong???
I'm never wrong .. can anyone guess why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TZK View Post
For instance, attractiveness has been identified by some to be the averageness of the physical features of your face. This way you remind people of the most amount of good experiences they have had with others. But more directly what I meant was that you come across as "one of the guys". Simply being different is enough to cause people to reject you. This has been proven throughout history, and fundamental differences in how a person thinks are just as capable of causing this reaction as is the color of a person's skin.
You are making things far more complicated than they need to be .. in fact, I suspect that may be why interviewers are reacting negatively towards you. The work we do as actuaries is often difficult for others (who are eitehr outside the field or new to it) to grasp. The ability to summarize the general concept in a simple and concise manner is extremely important. And frankly you have yet to display your ability at being consice. If someone wants you to elaborate on a particular point or argument, they will ask for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZK View Post
"Smarts" are good for dealing with real world problems and creating effective plans of action. The money that a person is paid is not given to them because their boss likes them. If that boss had a choice, he'd keep more of the money for himself. The money is given because you are supposed to provide a service as an employee. The money comes from the company providing a good or service to it's customers. To figure out the best way to do this, a company needs smarts above all else.
Yes .. but everyone in a company has different ideas on what is best for the company, as there is no single right answer. Your smarts are useless if you cannot bring people to (a) understand what you are saying, and (b) convince them that your way is the best way and appearing condescending will rarely get that goal acheived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZK View Post
I can't change the way I am, and the reason I can't change it is because it is the right way to be. People can see that my instincts are different by gaging my emotional reactions. My instincts are different because it has been proven to me that the way I think is correct.
You don't have to change who you are or what you believe. But you can control your reactions to things and people - behaviour can be changed.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Bob the Nob's Avatar
Bob the Nob Bob the Nob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexx View Post

I'm never wrong .. can anyone guess why?
Because it's teh internets?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
kolya23's Avatar
kolya23 kolya23 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Favorite beer: Ginger, Birch
Posts: 6,098
Default

Your "smarts" are not unique. Put yourself in the shoes of a hiring manager. You see a bunch of resumes of candidates with proper qualifications, all of whom appear roughly equivalent at handling the responsibility of "spreadsheet monkey". Of course they will hire the nice person who gets along with others.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM
mexx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Nob View Post
Because it's teh internets?
Do I just not post in Career often enough for people to know me???



Quote:
Originally Posted by mexx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZK View Post
But anyways... You are trying to label fundamental differences in identity conscious choices. I am not trying to show anything... I AM. You were appealing to their naive sense of fairness - Literally that you are just an average guy that they UNDERSTAND and can relate to.
The bolded part certainly ain't true!!

Last edited by mexx; 04-24-2008 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-24-2008, 03:25 PM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 80,141
Blog Entries: 6
Default

It is no sin to be wrong or uncertain. There is such a thing as absolute truth, but it doesn't come up much in business situations. You rarely have full information, and you're rarely going to have complete answers. Sometimes you're going to have to go out on a limb and speculate, even before you've thought the whole thing through -- and it's okay to let people know that's what you're doing.

This reminds me of some math modeling competitions I had been in. The one I remember best involved data from a power company from service calls following a hurricane, and you were supposed to figure out a servicing algorithm in the best interests of the power company.

My team came up with a metric dealing with costs, time, and how annoyed the customers would get (as well as the importance of the location -- hospital vs. school vs. residence), and tried to minimize across these dimensions (also we used the given data to do a bootstrap method to check our algorithm against future disasters, as opposed to just optimizing for the one we were given -- many other teams solved the optimization problem "perfectly", which was perfect only for the given data and gave no rules for the future).

We came in the top 15.


A different team stated at the beginning: "The power company is a monopoly, so we're just going to minimize cost".

They came in the top 3.


A different team looked up information on power grids and said "The problem is insoluble, as one needs to know the network to be able to say the order servicing should be done in. Repairing one location before another could result in brownouts or even another blackout." And cited in various footnotes how undoable the problem was.

This third team was technically correct, but placed nowhere.

They forgot this was a math modeling competition, which always gave limited information, and you had to work with what you had. They were "correct", but had missed the point, which was dealing with an optimization problem in a competition setting.



/yoda
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Bob the Nob's Avatar
Bob the Nob Bob the Nob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexx View Post
Do I just not post in Career often enough for people to know me???
Okay, because you are female?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
origin of your

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.19648 seconds with 9 queries