Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 06-26-2015, 11:38 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN View Post
And that's what people who didn't go to one of the world recognized schools in Canada tell themselves and others to make themselves feel better about their alma mater.

Having seen the marking schemes and grading process in two different schools in Ontario, albeit in Biology, they were vastly different for the same material. TA's were given specific thresholds for the number of A's they could give out at one school while at the other school the majority of the students got an A.
I know of a girl who got 30% in her Life Contingencies at a school that is considered near the bottom, dropped out and took it at UofT the next semester and got a 78%. Pretty sure I was bell curved downward in my Interest Theory class as well.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop John B View Post
This doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about Canadian schools to dispute it.

What I will say is that schools like McGill and U of T likely have much stricter admissions than the lesser Canadian schools, so I'm willing to bet that the quality of students there is generally a lot better than other schools, and if they're still receiving bad grades it's likely because the material is more rigorous or they're being graded harsher (or both).
I think it's more like bad schools in the usa are really, really, unimaginably bad compared to bad schools in Canada. The university quality curve has much fatter right and elft tails in the usa
Old 06-26-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20a View Post
I know of a girl who got 30% in her Life Contingencies at a school that is considered near the bottom, dropped out and took it at UofT the next semester and got a 78%. Pretty sure I was bell curved downward in my Interest Theory class as well.
I know kids who got 60s (1.7 to 2.3 on the GPA scale) graduate in 4 years with all their prelims done from UofT. The courses themselves were much harder than the actual exams.

Definitely felt the curve in most of my classes too. Professors making marks fit that perfect C average mold that seemed ever present.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:58 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for enlightenment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerRacer View Post
I went to a top Ivy. And my GPA stinks enough that when I was thinking of grad school I took some post-bac classes to boost my GPA. The post-bac classes at non-Ivies were pretty easy. I think the material is going to be the same wherever you learn it, but at a top school they will not test you on the obvious stuff like they do elsewhere. Also in classes with a curve, the curve can be pretty fierce since everyone is very bright.

I also read about people worshipping Harvard all the time on AO. Not everyone at Harvard or top-5 schools is a genius. If you got into an amazing school, all it means is that you dominated high school enough to get a near 4.0, are good at standardized tests, and have some other compelling quality such as being a star athlete, musician, overcoming adversity, etc. There are plenty of smart but normal kids at these schools. What makes them successful might be more type-A personality rather than genius.

I consider myself smart but I definitely have to work for it. Same as anyone else in my actuarial program.

Why does someone with a pedigree from a top school become an actuary? Ivy Leaguers become anything. My buddies are doctors, lawyers, businessmen, high school teachers. None in academia or on Wall Street. So why actuarial? It's a great career. Same reasons you're in actuarial.
TIL that if I was motivated when I was younger I could've gone to an ivy league school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Maybe, if there were some magical 4th dimension where they did their work in hypercubicles. Otherwise, I don't see them.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop John B View Post
This doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about Canadian schools to dispute it.

What I will say is that schools like McGill and U of T likely have much stricter admissions than the lesser Canadian schools, so I'm willing to bet that the quality of students there is generally a lot better than other schools, and if they're still receiving bad grades it's likely because the material is more rigorous or they're being graded harsher (or both).
The whole higher admissions standards equals tougher competition equals harder curve thing is just false. First as someone else alluded to, admissions are based on what you did in high school. Getting amazing grades in high school doesn't make you a genius. Second, in Canada a lot of students tend to stay where they grew up for school. There are some super smart people that could have gotten into Toronto McGill whatever but chose a "lesser" school because it's close to home.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarying View Post
First as someone else alluded to, admissions are based on what you did in high school.
So you'd prefer based on what they did in junior high, or should we go back even further?
Old 06-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
So you'd prefer based on what they did in junior high, or should we go back even further?
I'm saying that the correlation between high school grades and intelligence is not strong enough to make the argument that higher admissions averages equals stronger competition for university grades
Old 06-26-2015, 03:34 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
I could color within the lines like a mother, but I also cut my hair with the safety scissors once. Wonder which school will take me. mmm...paste...
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 06-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
I'm saying that the correlation between high school grades and intelligence is not strong enough to make the argument that higher admissions averages equals stronger competition for university grades
It's quite simple really:

Dumb people today are more likely to be dumb tomorrow.
Smart people today are more likely to be smart tomorrow.

People can overcome their dumbness, but the average expectation is for them to remain dumb.

-Riley

Map of Actuarial Hiring Companies
Old 06-26-2015, 04:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Newsflash: Colleges also use other proxy variables than high school grades for this.

And high school is pretty freaking easy, but I'm going with "If you got bad grades in high school, you're probably not that smart".