Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:40 PM
ngphan84 ngphan84 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
Newsflash: Colleges also use other proxy variables than high school grades for this.

And high school is pretty freaking easy, but I'm going with "If you got bad grades in high school, you're probably not that smart".
*whine* But I'm smarter than the guy going to Yale. I would have gotten better grades than him if I had actually studied. I just like to have a social life. *whine*
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:42 PM
ngphan84 ngphan84 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 236
Default

I don't care if I'm making $16 an hour, and the rest of my life is gonna be shit.
At least I got to date the hot 16 year old and get piss-drunk off Miller Lite while I was in high school.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:45 PM
jas66Kent's Avatar
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 21,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
Newsflash: Colleges also use other proxy variables than high school grades for this.

And high school is pretty freaking easy, but I'm going with "If you got bad grades in high school, you're probably not that smart".
That highly depends on what high school you went to. If you went to a normal public HS and got good grades.....that's not all that impressive as there are a lot of people that do that.

If you went to am elite public or elite private HS with decent grades you will be far better off, as the level of classes offered by thise two entities was far superior.
__________________
Quote:
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:47 PM
jas66Kent's Avatar
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 21,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngphan84 View Post
I don't care if I'm making $16 an hour, and the rest of my life is gonna be shit.
At least I got to date the hot 16 year old and get piss-drunk off Miller Lite while I was in high school.
You do realize you can both party and get good grades right?
__________________
Quote:
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:59 PM
ngphan84 ngphan84 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
You do realize you can both party and get good grades right?
If you say you party and you got good grades, then you most likely don't actually party. Sounds more like losers who wanna fit in.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:03 PM
jas66Kent's Avatar
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 21,509
Default

So basically, in your tiny little mind you're not really "partying" unless you completely wreck your academic career?

Stemming from that almost comical piece of rationalization you were most likely shit at sports, because I can think of quite a few student athletes (myself included) who played sports, partied on weekends, and got good grades.
__________________
Quote:
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Captain Oveur Captain Oveur is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
That highly depends on what high school you went to. If you went to a normal public HS and got good grades.....that's not all that impressive as there are a lot of people that do that.

If you went to am elite public or elite private HS with decent grades you will be far better off, as the level of classes offered by thise two entities was far superior.
You might be the single worst poster at reading comprehension I've seen on here.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:34 PM
jas66Kent's Avatar
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 21,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
You might be the single worst poster at reading comprehension I've seen on here.
Kid, when you get to the point when you are old enough to shave I might be inclined to listen to you.
__________________
Quote:
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:37 PM
ngphan84 ngphan84 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
So basically, in your tiny little mind you're not really "partying" unless you completely wreck your academic career?

Stemming from that almost comical piece of rationalization you were most likely shit at sports, because I can think of quite a few student athletes (myself included) who played sports, partied on weekends, and got good grades.
Most people who think they're cool and like to have fun aren't actually that cool. And their "fun" isn't all that much fun.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 PM
mono/poly mono/poly is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngphan84 View Post
If you say you party and you got good grades, then you most likely don't actually party. Sounds more like losers who wanna fit in.
If we had an edward 40hands -> real analysis contest, you'd lose.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.19807 seconds with 9 queries