Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:03 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
What's W?
Wharton. I guess the rest of UPenn doesn't count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:16 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Usually, its HYPSM and not HYPW

That is a new one for me.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 01-05-2018, 01:31 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytao View Post
Yet, I consider myself as a failure and still to this day, every f day, torment over how I screwed up so badly in college. Only if I knew better... Some of it is pure jealousy as a lot of my buddies work in PE, VC or HF, easily clearing 5x, 10x what I'm making.
I wonder if that feeling ever goes away. It probably doesn't. When I was making an EL salary in a low COL area, I was pretty happy with the comfort it provided. But, as I've progressed, I've come into contact with people who make many times what I do, so it gives me a feeling that maybe I didn't apply myself as much as I should have. As a result, my money goals have been ever-increasing.

However, when you're making a million, you'll be socializing with people who have hundreds of millions who may even be younger than you are. I know this sounds like donkey talk, but I suppose if you don't find your happy place at a certain level of net worth, you never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:08 PM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Wharton. I guess the rest of UPenn doesn't count
That's a stupid way of seeing it imo.

Yale is good for law and business but what else are they outstanding for?
I'm sure UPenn is good for other things too.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:22 PM
SOA

W = Wharton. HYPW is pretty standard too, and I prefaced ivy. Obviously stanford/mit/caltech is top of tier-1 no doubt. Just saying I have bachelors in math with whopping 2.5 gpa from one of top 15 programs, not top 5.

Quote:
There are ways out...assuming you aren't living paycheck to paycheck with that FSA salary of yours. You can get into banking if you get an MBA. Do you really care about a 50k pay cut if you can make > $1m in a few years? For tech...you can get a nice job after a masters or you can get your foot in the door at a lower level job and work your way up.

But, if you're unhappy just mostly because you're bored, could you not do something else with your FSA? There are some interesting actuarial jobs out there as well.
Yes I thought about MBA or MFE, but it's difficult and risky.

If I take 2 years off to go to MBA, short term i'm down minimum 500k (2 years of missed pay + tuition + low salary getting back in.. let's hope i get right back into industry haha). Survival is not an issue with wife's pay and savings, and I don't live lavishly by any means. But 500k is still a lot of money to let go short term when you have toddlers, mortgage to pay in tristate area.

"50k pay cut in year 3 but make >1m in a few years"? - easier said than done. This is an absolute best case scenario. I say it's feasible but there's no guarantee. Especially when you have your money, career, family at stake to certain degree, it's a tough bet to make. Personally I don't see positive EV out of this.

Another practical concern is, can I get into MBA/MFE (that is good enough to justify my value proposition). Remember, I have 2.5 gpa. FSA may be valuable where I am, but will grad schools care? Guess i can try at least.

Something more interesting with FSA? - unsuccessfully tried lateral into investment/port mgmt. yet to find anything super interesting, and i've been in life insco for 10 years now so have a decent feel for what's out there. 'what's interesting' is highly personal and i want either super quantitative, or fast-paced with high risk/reward. why don't you recommend me a few.

i have no intention to bash actuarial career. for all youngins and potential career changers, please visit beanactuary.org. it's been good to this near college dropout, for the most part. it just pains me to know that i could've done better had i not screwed up. everything looks better in hindsight.

Last edited by terrytao; 01-05-2018 at 02:33 PM..
Old 01-05-2018, 02:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
However, when you're making a million, you'll be socializing with people who have hundreds of millions who may even be younger than you are. I know this sounds like donkey talk, but I suppose if you don't find your happy place at a certain level of net worth, you never will.
absolutely agree, but i bet you'll want to be unhappy making 1 mil rather than be unhappy making a quarter mil.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:07 PM
CAS SOA

College: State

Quote:
W = Wharton. HYPW is pretty standard too, and I prefaced ivy. Obviously stanford/mit/caltech is top of tier-1 no doubt. Just saying I have bachelors in math with whopping 2.5 gpa from one of top 15 programs, not top 5.

If I take 2 years off to go to MBA, short term i'm down minimum 500k (2 years of missed pay + tuition + low salary getting back in.. let's hope i get right back into industry haha). Survival is not an issue with wife's pay and savings, and I don't live lavishly by any means. But 500k is still a lot of money to let go short term when you have toddlers, mortgage to pay in tristate area.

"50k pay cut in year 3 but make >1m in a few years"? - easier said than done. This is an absolute best case scenario. I say it's feasible but there's no guarantee. Especially when you have your money, career, family at stake to certain degree, it's a tough bet to make. Personally I don't see positive EV out of this.

Another practical concern is, can I get into MBA/MFE (that is good enough to justify my value proposition). Remember, I have 2.5 gpa. FSA may be valuable where I am, but will grad schools care? Guess i can try at least.

Something more interesting with FSA? - unsuccessfully tried lateral into investment/port mgmt. yet to find anything super interesting, and i've been in life insco for 10 years now so have a decent feel for what's out there. 'what's interesting' is highly personal and i want either super quantitative, or fast-paced with high risk/reward. why don't you recommend me a few.

i have no intention to bash actuarial career. for all youngins and potential career changers, please visit beanactuary.org. it's been good to this near college dropout, for the most part. it just pains me to know that i could've done better had i not screwed up. everything looks better in hindsight.
Did she go to HYP?
Old 01-05-2018, 03:17 PM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Quote:
absolutely agree, but i bet you'll want to be unhappy making 1 mil rather than be unhappy making a quarter mil.
No i disagree. It depends on how unhappy you are in both cases.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:27 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:

The solution is quite simple: you do an Executive MBA over 2 years, that way your opportunity cost is much lower.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 01-05-2018, 03:32 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
That's a stupid way of seeing it imo.

Yale is good for law and business but what else are they outstanding for?
I'm sure UPenn is good for other things too.
Wharton's recruitment opportunities into internships are much better than the rest of the college. The best opportunities are specifically for Wharton students (as opposed to College of Arts and Sciences students). A Wharton student will let you know he is from Wharton (and not Penn).
And acceptance rate into Wharton is like half of the rate for CAS.

That being said, nobody cares after your turn 25

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.