Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 01-05-2018, 02:45 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Wharton's recruitment opportunities into internships are much better than the rest of the college. The best opportunities are specifically for Wharton students (as opposed to College of Arts and Sciences students). A Wharton student will let you know he is from Wharton (and not Penn).
And acceptance rate into Wharton is like half of the rate for CAS.

That being said, nobody cares after your turn 25
Yeah i totally get that but my point is how come Yale and Princeton are treated differently?

Tell me what's so outstanding about Yale if you take out Law and business. I'm not even sure if their Business program is top 3.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
No i disagree. It depends on how unhappy you are in both cases.
Sure. If you can provide conditional prob distribution of happiness given money, i'll be happy to work out the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrovertedactuary View Post
Did she go to HYP?
No (HYPs usually don't mess with non-HYPs) but she's a PhD and her pay is not too shabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
The solution is quite simple: you do an Executive MBA over 2 years, that way your opportunity cost is much lower.
Whole point is to leave the company/industry altogether. EMBA you need sponsorship, then exit ('stay' to be more correct) right back to where you come from.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:49 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
There are ways out...
But, if you're unhappy just mostly because you're bored, could you not do something else with your FSA? There are some interesting actuarial jobs out there as well.
Both of these. I've found a variety of work I found interesting as an FCAS, and you can still get out if you really want to.

If you feel that bad about where you are, you should try to change something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
...But, as I've progressed, I've come into contact with people who make many times what I do, so it gives me a feeling that maybe I didn't apply myself as much as I should have. As a result, my money goals have been ever-increasing...
Whereas I've come into contact with people who established new areas of computer science, people who won Nobel prizes, ... and I've decided that it's cool that I can hang out with people like that. Okay, sometimes I feel like a massive underachiever, but mostly I'm pretty happy.

(Oh, and I hang out with filthy rich people, too. You know, there are perks to hanging out with the very rich. you get to play with fun toys and stuff.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytao View Post
W = Wharton. HYPW is pretty standard too, and I prefaced ivy. Obviously stanford/mit/caltech is top of tier-1 no doubt...
Speaking as a Harvard grad, I was really puzzled by that W. I don't think it's all that standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
The solution is quite simple: you do an Executive MBA over 2 years, that way your opportunity cost is much lower.
Yeah, this is what I thought of, too, for someone in your position.