Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:07 PM
SOA

College: University of Houston
Default Without an internship, am I screwed?

I got a BS Math a couple years ago, and have 2 exams under my belt. After a few months of applying for jobs to no success, I entered graduate school for MS Stats degree because I didn't see a better option (thought I might become a statistician instead of an actuary).

I would like to give the actuary thing another go now, but I don't really know what my chances are.

I know in most industries nowadays, it's important to have an internship even just to get an EL position. Most internships require you to be in college, and an undergraduate (not a graduate like me).

Does anyone know what my chances are of finding employment without an internship, and if/how I can overcome this? I don't want to be forever exiled from the industry just because I don't have an internship.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:34 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:34 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

good job on beating OU yesterday lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:07 PM
CAS

Studying for 5
Favorite beer: Beer

You are not screwed, but it will be harder for you. I would say though, if you finish your masters degree and can work on some interesting modeling projects, forget actuarial and look for statistician/analytics roles. They pay better and you are not confined to the insurance industry. Lots of employers, insurance and other, are looking to hire people who can work with and develop algorithms. The work is certainly a lot more interesting than a lot of actuarial roles out there. Why not finish that degree and then find a data science/modeler/statistician role? My friend has been working for a year after finishing his MS in stats and is making 6 figures in CT. He's interviewing now in NYC for positions paying in the 180K neighborhood. Granted he is very smart and well versed in stats, moreso than any PhD I've met to date, and he interacts with some well-known statisticians (name rhymes with Mandrew Felman) on applications for some newer methods implemented in Stan. So you may not be a rock star but you can do pretty well as a MS stats person.

Last edited by FactuarialStatement; 09-04-2016 at 01:59 PM..
Old 09-04-2016, 01:38 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 7

you can get internships as a grad student. much easier than getting internships while not enrolled in school.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

If you don't apply, your chances are zero. I think DTNF's sig line says something like that.
There are a lot of people looking for EL jobs these days. So, good luck.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:22 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
good job on beating OU yesterday lol
Thanks for keeping me refreshed a couple days ago.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:29 PM
SOA

How many jobs have you applied for? There are many internships require students to be in college, but there are others do not. You also can improve programming and modeling skills in graduate statistics courses. Even for statistics masters, you need to have some experience to get the first full-time position. The job placement rate for statistics masters is not 100%.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactuarialStatement View Post
You are not screwed, but it will be harder for you. I would say though, if you finish your masters degree and can work on some interesting modeling projects, forget actuarial and look for statistician/analytics roles. They pay better and you are not confined to the insurance industry. Lots of employers, insurance and other, are looking to hire people who can work with and develop algorithms. The work is certainly a lot more interesting than a lot of actuarial roles out there. Why not finish that degree and then find a data science/modeler/statistician role? My friend has been working for a year after finishing his MS in stats and is making 6 figures in CT. He's interviewing now in NYC for positions paying in the 180K neighborhood. Granted he is very smart and well versed in stats, moreso than any PhD I've met to date, and he interacts with some well-known statisticians (name rhymes with Mandrew Felman) on applications for some newer methods implemented in Stan. So you may not be a rock star but you can do pretty well as a MS stats person.
Thanks a lot for the broader advice on my situation. First of all, as you said I obviously will not likely mimic your friend's situation, but even as an average MS statistician, do you really think that would pay as well, or be better overall as an actuary?

I've talked to one of my professors about it and he says there are a lot of positions that take statisticians right out of college and pay them 6 figures, but they usually require a Ph.D. This has been my main aversion to going down the statistics path.

Now, understand that I am not only concerned with the job that pays the highest, but if I am to make a decisive choice to abandon actuary for statistics, there would have to be significant reasons for doing so because in terms of applied math, one doesn't seem much different or preferable than the other to me, and from what I've read, an actuarial career is one of the most desired in today's economy (or at least it was ranked highly in some magazine, you probably know what I'm talking about.)
Old 09-04-2016, 11:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
How many jobs have you applied for? There are many internships require students to be in college, but there are others do not. You also can improve programming and modeling skills in graduate statistics courses. Even for statistics masters, you need to have some experience to get the first full-time position. The job placement rate for statistics masters is not 100%.
I had applied to around maybe 20 before I entered graduate school. The thing is that the Fall semester was coming around the corner and I had already been considering it. Additionally, I had tried to get on board with DW Simpson, but they told me that I needed 3 exams (I have 2) and a bunch of software proficiency that I didn't have. So I chose graduate school.

Tags
#predanal, actuary, big data, data science, employment, entry, intern, internship, machine learning, predictive analytics, programming languages