Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-30-2017, 02:56 PM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Give it some time. Making a judgement off of a couple weeks is short-sighted.
I agree, but the problem is that my boss has a reputation. One of the product managers here communicated a similar sentiment that she got from the person in this role before me. This was also communicated to me by the pricing manager who has also spoken with that person, as well as the pricing analyst here who as worked for my boss over an extended period of time.

A few weeks is short, but there's also a history.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:16 PM
CAS

Studying for the Last Reformation

Didn't have my own PC for the first few months of employment, we shared a couple of group PCs. I didn't know a lot so they gave me extra study time even though I told them I didn't need it, which is why I passed Exam 2 (Probability & Statistics) with a 10.

Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun. (Psalm 37:3-6)
Old 11-30-2017, 03:40 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
Didn't have my own PC for the first few months of employment, we shared a couple of group PCs. I didn't know a lot so they gave me extra study time even though I told them I didn't need it, which is why I passed Exam 2 (Probability & Statistics) with a 10.
Humblebrag about passing prob/stat with a 10

I did too though

"I'm here to entertain, and inform." -George Carlin
Old 11-30-2017, 03:42 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

A lot of grunt work, which I prefer to most of what I do now. And someone basically telling me not to half ass things ever, which was harsh at the time, but served me very will later.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:57 PM

Reserve Triangles and making IBNR what someone else wanted to see.
Peer Reviewing
Tracking billable hours
Nothing gay about mirin' another bro's gains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Want to become aware of my fist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
this might be my favorite thread on the AO
Old 11-30-2017, 04:27 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
I've only gotten one assignment since I've been here and it took less than an hour. We've been waiting for IT to install the correct reserving software on my machine, but after following up several times (with my boss copied on those messages) I get no response, so I can't learn the software. He's usually works from home, so if I come in at 10 and leave at 12, no one really cares. I'm hoping this will get better, and I may start bugging the pricing manager here to give me more work, but until then, passing lots of exams and hoping I get enough work to put on a resume seems like future of this position.
I'm sure everyone goes through that situation. Trying to get "admin rights" from lazy IT ppl to install software, and not being able to install the right software because your computer wasn't powerful enough, etc.

But you should call them yourself and make it sound urgent. IT's what I did to take care of those stupid non-work related issues.
I didn't wait for my manager to handle all those issues for me. You have a phone, and people around you.

I personally wouldn't leave at 12. You can always find work. I guess it's fine if you do that at home. If I were you, I'd go have a talk with your manager about not being productive enough.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:32 PM
CAS

Also, I hate going to my manager to "ask for work" or to ask for his assistance with something that I can attempt to solve myself.
Obv, entry levels need time to adjust but I think learning to deal with problems like a manager who has no one above him could help you develop strong mentality for the future.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:41 PM
CAS

pro tip: always make friends with a couple of key IT people so you can back channel the stuff you need done. gifts of top shelf booze don't hurt.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
pro tip: always make friends with a couple of key IT people so you can back channel the stuff you need done. gifts of top shelf booze don't hurt.
That is sooo true. I communicate with a lot of IT people through Skype and there's a couple guys that are really cool. Saves a ton of time.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:47 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
I agree, but the problem is that my boss has a reputation. One of the product managers here communicated a similar sentiment that she got from the person in this role before me. This was also communicated to me by the pricing manager who has also spoken with that person, as well as the pricing analyst here who as worked for my boss over an extended period of time.

A few weeks is short, but there's also a history.
A lot of life is making the best out of imperfect situations. Not saying you're not doing that, but it's something to keep in mind.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.