Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:36 PM
pinguino's Avatar
pinguino pinguino is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 904
Default

My advice to ELs is to not get yourself too comfortable in your first role. Adjusting to corporate life and the realities of workplace politics was the biggest shock to me... it took me years.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-30-2017, 11:53 PM
YetAnotherCareerChanger's Avatar
YetAnotherCareerChanger YetAnotherCareerChanger is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
pro tip: always make friends with a couple of key IT people so you can back channel the stuff you need done. gifts of top shelf booze don't hurt.
Always be nice to facilities folks too. If there's free food you may be lucky enough to be the first one to know... every time...
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:59 AM
bravesandfalcons bravesandfalcons is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
College: Georgia State University
Posts: 256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
A lot of life is making the best out of imperfect situations. Not saying you're not doing that, but it's something to keep in mind.
Whatís the difference between making the most of an imperfect situation and staying in a situation thatís a bad fit? Not saying this is a bad fit, I do t know that yet. Iím just asking.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:04 AM
Childish Gambino's Avatar
Childish Gambino Childish Gambino is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,152
Default

__________________
When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the US Flag and carrying a Cross.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-01-2017, 09:24 AM
ShivamS's Avatar
ShivamS ShivamS is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
Whatís the difference between making the most of an imperfect situation and staying in a situation thatís a bad fit? Not saying this is a bad fit, I do t know that yet. Iím just asking.
If your job sucks and is not a place you can reach your goals, you should definitely look for a different opportunity soon.

But, in the meantime, you should still try to learn what you can from the people you look up to in the company.

Just cautioning you to not waste your (short) tenure in your current situation.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agadefe View Post

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.



Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-03-2017, 02:19 AM
ThereIsNoSpoon ThereIsNoSpoon is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Studying for PA,FAP
College: When the smog clears, _ _ _ _
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Wasn't a good fit for me and barely had any work to do, so I spent the extra time taking as many exams as I can, refining my tech skills, and doing extra stuff at work in order to make myself more marketable when I jumped ship after that first year.
Oh god that sounds uncomfortably familiar
__________________
Spoiler:

------------------------------------------
P FM MFE C MLC VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance PA FAP

Want to connect on LinkedIn? PM me!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 AM
pinguino's Avatar
pinguino pinguino is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 904
Default

I remember being too naive and innocent when I started off as an EL. Believing that as long as I did what I was told, my career development goals would fall into place. Feeling comfortable in the security of my role. Developing attachments to coworkers and managers, and relying on them for support.

Eventually things went downhill on the team, and I realized that corporate life was not so charitable. I was relatively unaffected, but my career path could easily have taken a turn towards the worse, so nowadays I just look back and reflect on how lucky I was.

So, my advice to OP is to always hone your skill set, and to never become complacent. Be ready to look for new opportunities on short notice, otherwise you'll be caught off-guard.

Also look for coworkers and managers that you can trust and look up to, but at the same time, be willing to approach them with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Fracktuary Fracktuary is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
I remember being too naive and innocent when I started off as an EL. Believing that as long as I did what I was told, my career development goals would fall into place. Feeling comfortable in the security of my role. Developing attachments to coworkers and managers, and relying on them for support.

Eventually things went downhill on the team, and I realized that corporate life was not so charitable. I was relatively unaffected, but my career path could easily have taken a turn towards the worse, so nowadays I just look back and reflect on how lucky I was.

So, my advice to OP is to always hone your skill set, and to never become complacent. Be ready to look for new opportunities on short notice, otherwise you'll be caught off-guard.

Also look for coworkers and managers that you can trust and look up to, but at the same time, be willing to approach them with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 47,784
Default

I guess one big difference between school and work is that in school (undergrad), pretty much anything you work on has already been solved and has an answer - and they have to be, otherwise assignments would be ungradeable (although maybe once in a while you get exposed to an unsolved problem just for kicks).

At work, you're in the business of solving problems that have not been solved before and designing new algorithms. You are almost never given an assignment that someone has already figured out, and what happens is that management will ask you how much you think you can improve things with a new technique, which will be the benchmark that you're evaluated against, without knowing whether it can be done for sure. As you get more experienced, you'll get a better feel on whether a potential project is feasible.

I guess in that respect, that's something that actuarial exams fail to capture. Almost every problem on an exam has a solution or model answer that you're being graded against, so you know for sure that there's a solution that the graders are looking for and that it can be done, and that if you keep trying you'll figure it out. That won't always be the case at work.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 92,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
pro tip: always make friends with a couple of key IT people so you can back channel the stuff you need done. gifts of top shelf booze don't hurt.
How do I send that to India?



Asking for a friend.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.25707 seconds with 9 queries