Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-30-2017, 10:36 PM
CAS

My advice to ELs is to not get yourself too comfortable in your first role. Adjusting to corporate life and the realities of workplace politics was the biggest shock to me... it took me years.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
pro tip: always make friends with a couple of key IT people so you can back channel the stuff you need done. gifts of top shelf booze don't hurt.
Always be nice to facilities folks too. If there's free food you may be lucky enough to be the first one to know... every time...
Old 12-01-2017, 12:59 AM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
A lot of life is making the best out of imperfect situations. Not saying you're not doing that, but it's something to keep in mind.
Whatís the difference between making the most of an imperfect situation and staying in a situation thatís a bad fit? Not saying this is a bad fit, I do t know that yet. Iím just asking.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:04 AM
SOA

Old 12-01-2017, 09:24 AM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
Whatís the difference between making the most of an imperfect situation and staying in a situation thatís a bad fit? Not saying this is a bad fit, I do t know that yet. Iím just asking.
If your job sucks and is not a place you can reach your goals, you should definitely look for a different opportunity soon.

But, in the meantime, you should still try to learn what you can from the people you look up to in the company.

Just cautioning you to not waste your (short) tenure in your current situation.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:19 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for PA,FAP
College: When the smog clears, _ _ _ _
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Wasn't a good fit for me and barely had any work to do, so I spent the extra time taking as many exams as I can, refining my tech skills, and doing extra stuff at work in order to make myself more marketable when I jumped ship after that first year.
Oh god that sounds uncomfortably familiar

------------------------------------------
P FM MFE C MLC VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance PA FAP

Want to connect on LinkedIn? PM me!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 AM
CAS

I remember being too naive and innocent when I started off as an EL. Believing that as long as I did what I was told, my career development goals would fall into place. Feeling comfortable in the security of my role. Developing attachments to coworkers and managers, and relying on them for support.

Eventually things went downhill on the team, and I realized that corporate life was not so charitable. I was relatively unaffected, but my career path could easily have taken a turn towards the worse, so nowadays I just look back and reflect on how lucky I was.

So, my advice to OP is to always hone your skill set, and to never become complacent. Be ready to look for new opportunities on short notice, otherwise you'll be caught off-guard.

Also look for coworkers and managers that you can trust and look up to, but at the same time, be willing to approach them with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
I remember being too naive and innocent when I started off as an EL. Believing that as long as I did what I was told, my career development goals would fall into place. Feeling comfortable in the security of my role. Developing attachments to coworkers and managers, and relying on them for support.

Eventually things went downhill on the team, and I realized that corporate life was not so charitable. I was relatively unaffected, but my career path could easily have taken a turn towards the worse, so nowadays I just look back and reflect on how lucky I was.

So, my advice to OP is to always hone your skill set, and to never become complacent. Be ready to look for new opportunities on short notice, otherwise you'll be caught off-guard.

Also look for coworkers and managers that you can trust and look up to, but at the same time, be willing to approach them with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I guess one big difference between school and work is that in school (undergrad), pretty much anything you work on has already been solved and has an answer - and they have to be, otherwise assignments would be ungradeable (although maybe once in a while you get exposed to an unsolved problem just for kicks).

At work, you're in the business of solving problems that have not been solved before and designing new algorithms. You are almost never given an assignment that someone has already figured out, and what happens is that management will ask you how much you think you can improve things with a new technique, which will be the benchmark that you're evaluated against, without knowing whether it can be done for sure. As you get more experienced, you'll get a better feel on whether a potential project is feasible.

I guess in that respect, that's something that actuarial exams fail to capture. Almost every problem on an exam has a solution or model answer that you're being graded against, so you know for sure that there's a solution that the graders are looking for and that it can be done, and that if you keep trying you'll figure it out. That won't always be the case at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
pro tip: always make friends with a couple of key IT people so you can back channel the stuff you need done. gifts of top shelf booze don't hurt.
How do I send that to India?

Asking for a friend.