Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 12-04-2017, 01:36 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for PA,FAP
College: When the smog clears, _ _ _ _
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I guess one big difference between school and work is that in school (undergrad), pretty much anything you work on has already been solved and has an answer - and they have to be, otherwise assignments would be ungradeable (although maybe once in a while you get exposed to an unsolved problem just for kicks).

At work, you're in the business of solving problems that have not been solved before and designing new algorithms. You are almost never given an assignment that someone has already figured out, and what happens is that management will ask you how much you think you can improve things with a new technique, which will be the benchmark that you're evaluated against, without knowing whether it can be done for sure. As you get more experienced, you'll get a better feel on whether a potential project is feasible.

I guess in that respect, that's something that actuarial exams fail to capture. Almost every problem on an exam has a solution or model answer that you're being graded against, so you know for sure that there's a solution that the graders are looking for and that it can be done, and that if you keep trying you'll figure it out. That won't always be the case at work.
Got my 20/20 hindsight kicking in, but I feel like that's why co-op programs work fantastically well with the actuarial science major (which is why there's the occasional "what if I did accept Waterloo" in my head).

------------------------------------------
P FM MFE C MLC VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance PA FAP

Want to connect on LinkedIn? PM me!
Old 12-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
I guess one big difference between school and work is that in school (undergrad), pretty much anything you work on has already been solved and has an answer - and they have to be, otherwise assignments would be ungradeable (although maybe once in a while you get exposed to an unsolved problem just for kicks).

At work, you're in the business of solving problems that have not been solved before and designing new algorithms. You are almost never given an assignment that someone has already figured out, and what happens is that management will ask you how much you think you can improve things with a new technique, which will be the benchmark that you're evaluated against, without knowing whether it can be done for sure. As you get more experienced, you'll get a better feel on whether a potential project is feasible.

I guess in that respect, that's something that actuarial exams fail to capture. Almost every problem on an exam has a solution or model answer that you're being graded against, so you know for sure that there's a solution that the graders are looking for and that it can be done, and that if you keep trying you'll figure it out. That won't always be the case at work.
You have a very generous view of corporate work.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Quote:

The answer is what management has already decided they want.....
Old 12-04-2017, 09:46 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
For me, the biggest difference between school and actuary is your say in who you work with. I get to do homework with my smart and motivated friends. At work, your coworkers or boss could be annoying or stupid, and you have no say but to work with them.
Why group projects are the only useful part of school IMO. Learning to deal with the useless people is a skill that's useful everywhere.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:20 AM
CAS

Quote:
For me, the biggest difference between school and actuary is your say in who you work with. I get to do homework with my smart and motivated friends. At work, your coworkers or boss could be annoying or stupid, and you have no say but to work with them.
You could still choose to leave the team. But that should be your last option.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:32 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
Why group projects are the only useful part of school IMO. Learning to deal with the useless people is a skill that's useful everywhere.

Work for a company that doesn't hire stupid people imo, or is at least quick to get rid of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:33 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Quote:
Work for a company that doesn't hire stupid people imo.

You don't want to be a big fish in a small pond if you're not going to be the shark anytime soon imo.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:38 AM
CAS SOA

Considering most of you are still in the donkey pen, I don't think being a shark in such a pen really matters.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmari01 View Post
Does anyone have any advice on how to succeed in the job in their first year? for some reason i am nervous and scared of messing up/not doing a good job/not learning things quickly enough...
Free advice, take it for what it's worth.
1. Calm down. Practically nobody expects much from a first year actuarial student.
2. Pay attention to what people tell you. If you don't understand what they are saying, ask.
3. Check your work. Check it again.
4. Study hard, and look for connections between study materials and what you are actually doing. You may not find any, but looking is the whole point.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmari01 View Post
Does anyone have any advice on how to succeed in the job in their first year? for some reason i am nervous and scared of messing up/not doing a good job/not learning things quickly enough...
One thing that I always heard was to ask a lot of questions. But I always had a hard time with that because I often felt like I didn't know what I didn't know, especially in my first year. One thing that has really helped me after starting a new role this summer is if I didn't have any questions I would at least summarize what my manager just told me. So after they would tell me about a project I would say, "You want me to do abc because of xyz, right?". To me, this helped my manager understand what I comprehended and maybe help them recognize any gaps in my understanding. Ideally, you'll have a manager who will ask better questions than, "Do you understand?"/"Does that make sense?"/etc. to check your understanding, but if they don't, then answer by saying what you understand, not just a one word answer.