Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

People who don't know history are doomed , , ,
And some people here appear to be color-blind as well.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Ideal travel time should be 2 years. Otherwise, you'll be bogged down with exams while the data scientists who are fresh out of masters programs are outcompeting you because they're devoting more time to actual work.
It's about employers not employees. If you're bogged down with the exams and learning actuarial stuff, then you have less time to make yourself more attractive to employers outside of insurance. This helps retain your best employees.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
You're making an assumption that the incremental exam takers are all smarter than the baseline.
Perhaps, but the claim that exams discourage hypothetical talent from pursuing actuarial science is tired and overused, and not unique to our profession.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ito's Phlegm View Post
Perhaps, but the claim that exams discourage hypothetical talent from pursuing actuarial science is tired and overused, and not unique to our profession.
The fact that a lot of people recognize this does not make it inaccurate. It's not particularly appealing to a creative problem solver to spend years with most of their studying learning tricks to solve unrealistic toy problems in under 5 minutes. Whether or not you know conventions adopted by the SOA for problems or make a calculation error when trying to execute a computational algorithm in 5 minutes is completely irrelevant to actual work.

The exams mostly encourage the development of skills that both don't translate into being an effective problem solver as an actuary and are mostly lost soon after passing. The skills to abstract and understand underlying concepts would be practical and exams with this focus would produce actuaries that can adapt what they've learned to real world problems. Many talented people would be attracted to this type of focus and would not feel the burden of a huge opportunity cost to waste time on acquiring largely useless skills.

Does my take on it sound more reasonable with elaboration? I'm not saying exams in general deter talent.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ta View Post
The fact that a lot of people recognize this does not make it inaccurate. It's not particularly appealing to a creative problem solver to spend years with most of their studying learning tricks to solve unrealistic toy problems in under 5 minutes. Whether or not you know conventions adopted by the SOA for problems or make a calculation error when trying to execute a computational algorithm in 5 minutes is completely irrelevant to actual work.

The exams mostly encourage the development of skills that both don't translate into being an effective problem solver as an actuary and are mostly lost soon after passing. The skills to abstract and understand underlying concepts would be practical and exams with this focus would produce actuaries that can adapt what they've learned to real world problems. Many talented people would be attracted to this type of focus and would not feel the burden of a huge opportunity cost to waste time on acquiring largely useless skills.

Does my take on it sound more reasonable with elaboration? I'm not saying exams in general deter talent.
I agree, it's wasteful to test people on material that isn't going to be used on the job or that they'll forget shortly after taking the exam.

If you want smart people, you might as well use a standard IQ test and hire the highest scoring people you can within your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I agree, it's wasteful to test people on material that isn't going to be used on the job or that they'll forget shortly after taking the exam.
I just want to be clear that it is not my view that the material currently tested on the prelims is itself not applicable to actuarial work. The topics covered are often extremely relevant. The problem is that the tests donít actually test you on your understanding of those concepts, but rather your ability to recognize the type of toy problem youíre doing and the corresponding algorithm to solve it. Acquiring this calculation muscle memory and the ability to carry out error-free calculations in under 5 minutes is a large portion of the study time and itís not generally that useful in real life. Those skills also quickly deteriorate since they arenít practiced after the exam (exactly because they arenít useful).
Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 PM
SOA AAA

No matter what your opinion is on the number of exams there are, the current system won't change because of it. And it won't matter how many posters agree with you.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ta View Post
I just want to be clear that it is not my view that the material currently tested on the prelims is itself not applicable to actuarial work. The topics covered are often extremely relevant. The problem is that the tests donít actually test you on your understanding of those concepts, but rather your ability to recognize the type of toy problem youíre doing and the corresponding algorithm to solve it. Acquiring this calculation muscle memory and the ability to carry out error-free calculations in under 5 minutes is a large portion of the study time and itís not generally that useful in real life. Those skills also quickly deteriorate since they arenít practiced after the exam (exactly because they arenít useful).
Yeah like this hasn't been discussed before. It's not going to change due to various reasons like the fact that CBT is cost effective and it's hard to test "creativity" with CBT.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:09 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathStatFin View Post
Yeah like this hasn't been discussed before. It's not going to change due to various reasons like the fact that CBT is cost effective and it's hard to test "creativity" with CBT.
I think itís possible to shift the focus of questions while still using a CBT format. It requires more thoughtful questions which requires more expertise, but Iím sure changes could be made in this direction.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:11 AM
CAS AAA

College: Indiana University
Favorite beer: Becks

You have chosen a profession where the daily job of qualified members is to rapidly assimilate information and use that information in combination with previously acquired knowledge for the benefit of employers. Actuarial Societies admit members based on examinations that require candidates to demonstrate an ability to do just that. The requirements have two prongs: 1) ability and 2) knowledge. One can argue that the current system requires more demonstration of ability than necessary, no argument there. On the other hand, the generally accepted body of knowledge with which every actuary is expected to at least be familiar, if not an expert, constitutes thousands of pages of reading. I can't see where it would be any less painful to test that knowledge in two 8 hour sessions, each requiring 1800 hours of study versus 9 four hour sessions, each requiring 400 hours of study. It's 3600 hours of study either way. The first approach is 20 fewer hours in the exam room, but those hours pale in comparison to the study hours. You're pounding the books for 3600 hours either way. Personally, I'd rather fail a 4 hour exam requiring 400 hours than an 8 hour exam requiring 1800 hours of study. It's much easier to pick yourself up and restart preparations in the former case than in the later case.