Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 12-10-2017, 12:00 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathStatFin View Post
What exactly are you interested in? I think there's a difference between "AI", "Machine learning" and "statistical learning". You need to focus on the course offerings before committing to a specific program since you might end up taking a lot of courses that will not be interesting to you or even relevant to your career aspirations. For instance, the stats departments don't really deal with "AI". From an academic point of view, "AI" usually refers to specific topics within computer science like deep learning, robotics, computer vision, etc. It's not something that you will be doing in a stats department (as far as I can tell).
I just want to work on something cool, and innovative. Whether that happens to deal with computer vision or robotics isn't too much of a concern for me, as I think they are both cool and innovative. Likewise with AI/Machine learning/statistical learning.

That's one reason why I left P&C reserving after a year. I didn't think it was cool and innovative. That job exists because regulations say it has to exist.

This is why I'm excited about insuretech. I was about to conclude that insurance was some kind of technological backwater, but just this last year there's been an explosion in insuretech startups which I believe is a great opportunity to apply my industry knowledge to companies that are trying to solve problems with tech. I think this is an opportunity for me to do something interesting without having to change industries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Berkeley was the one that was 60k. I have been on the fence between stats and CS, but leaning more towards CS because I think it would open up a lot more software dev opportunities for me, and because I find it more interesting.

I thought you were looking at part-time masters?
Old 12-10-2017, 12:05 PM

Reading CS posts over the years really makes me think this guy is only interested in whatever is popular at the time. Well, also making a lot of money. Doesn’t seem like there has been any real progress though.

Are you only interested in technical projects because you think that your only path to wealth is through being an individual contributor?

I’m not one to talk because I hate my job and think actuarial work sucks but I still haven’t come up with an exit plan (see other thread I started about escaping this career).
Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

To me he basically sounds terrified of being left behind compared to what he considers to be his "peers".
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 12-10-2017, 12:16 PM
SOA

I thought that all PhDs work for the University in some way and thus have their tuition waived and paid a stipend in fact. So why are you worried about paying 60k?
Old 12-10-2017, 12:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Avenger View Post
Reading CS posts over the years really makes me think this guy is only interested in whatever is popular at the time. Well, also making a lot of money. Doesn’t seem like there has been any real progress though.
A little bit, I switched out of traditional actuarial long ago. I've been doing predictive modeling for the last few years and just recently, I've switched into non-insurance data science. Contracts have been coming in slowly, so I can't conclude whether the move has been worthwhile yet.

Quote:
Are you only interested in technical projects because you think that your only path to wealth is through being an individual contributor?
That's not it at all. I am interested in technical projects because I see them as being more innovative and creative than regular actuarial work. You know how people say, if you don't want your boss's job, you shouldn't want your job? Well, when I look at VPs of actuarial departments, I see them working on things like reserving, or rate filings, or large account pricing, or whatever. I see them spending more time doing repetitive work rather than trying to invent automated solutions so they don't have to do that kind of work anymore.

I like automation because it's not repetitive. There's always something new.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Last edited by Colonel Smoothie; 12-10-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Old 12-10-2017, 12:21 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathStatFin View Post
I thought you were looking at part-time masters?
Yeah which is why GT appeals to me. Seems like a big win if I can get in.

Quote:
Old 12-10-2017, 12:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
To me he basically sounds terrified of being left behind compared to what he considers to be his "peers".
That's actually true. When I was growing up, I spent my school hours trying to beat people at school. Then, after school I was shuffled around various ECs where I spent my time trying to beat other people at those ECs. You can say I spent my entire first two decades of life trying to beat somebody at something. The need to win was really drilled into my head by myself and everyone around me. Failure was unacceptable.

I guess whatever level you're at, there's always going to be someone better. So I suppose it's an attitude that I would need to let go of if I want to find happiness. Or, maybe I can pick an arbitrary income and seniority level and decide that's where I want to settle.

Quote:
Old 12-10-2017, 12:35 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
That's actually true. When I was growing up, I spent my school hours trying to beat people at school. Then, after school I was shuffled around various ECs where I spent my time trying to beat other people at those ECs. You can say I spent my entire first two decades of life trying to beat somebody at something. The need to win was really drilled into my head by myself and everyone around me. Failure was unacceptable.

I guess whatever level you're at, there's always going to be someone better. So I suppose it's an attitude that I would need to let go of if I want to find happiness. Or, maybe I can pick an arbitrary income and seniority level and decide that's where I want to settle.
It's a common problem when you have parents with very high standards.

If you are not careful, this attitude will be detrimental to your ability to make meaningful work place relationships, which is the key to moving up in an organisation (much more so than simple raw intelligence).
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 12-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Does Levandowski have a PhD?

Anyways, if you look at companies that are specializing in AI, not everyone in staff has a PhD. I don't think they monopolize the well-paid positions, either. Consider your own company. Do the people who are making $300k+ all have PhDs?

A lot of people make over that much at my employer. Most of the ones who do have just a bachelors. I'm not interested in doing pure academic research, but I am interested in applying research that has been done by others to industry. I believe taking graduate level courses and getting familiar with the subject will benefit me if I want to do that.
You don't need a PhD. It's a total myth. People don't understand correlation != causation.