Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:14 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

I just wanna get the check mark on my to-do list... and have a few beers.

Really, really don't wanna talk to people about jobs in Dallas....

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
I just wanna get the check mark on my to-do list... and have a few beers.

Really, really don't wanna talk to people about jobs in Dallas....
yeah, that's kind of my thinking. i'm not there to network. i also have nothing to do with recruiting for my company anyway. others might feel differently.

not going to the dallas one though because I might take FA then, probably Boston or LA.
Spoiler:
Old 12-16-2017, 02:28 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by econfkw View Post
That makes sense. If the flight ticket to Dallas is still less than $200, I will go.
It is really tough to land an EL job. I passed 5 SOA (some of them are CAS) exams very quickly and have a PhD. I couldn't even get an interview in 7 months.
My friend is working at HR of a big insurance company. She told me that there is oversupply of actuaries, they don't bother to spend too much time recruiting candidates. Basically, they cull from their own intern program. For people like me who is switching career path, not being a fresh graduate, they won't pass the resume to the hiring manager.

I am sure that my profile is a good fit for model validation. I have publications in very good journals using econometrics , time series and predictive modelling. But again, for EL job, some companies only pick candidates from fresh graduates.
You are over-qualified and the vast majority of hiring managers will think you will bolt quickly once you get bored with EL work. That is why they prefer graduates as they usually stick around longer.

And trust me, you will be very, very bored as EL.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:13 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
That makes sense. If the flight ticket to Dallas is still less than $200, I will go.
I dunno...that place has gone downhill ever since Riley left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
Just don't expect anything to come out of it or you'll surely be disappointed.
No expectation in the first place. Just trying to weight in the pros and cons of attending the January Dallas (more expensive, but faster option) and April Boston (only bus ticket cost but more slowly)APC.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
No expectation in the first place. Just trying to weight in the pros and cons of attending the January Dallas (more expensive, but faster option) and April Boston (only bus ticket cost but more slowly)APC.
by faster, do you mean faster in getting your ASA?

i'm trying to decide between LA and Boston for similar reasons. If I pass FA on the first shot I'd get ASA quicker with LA, but Boston is closer and I can take a train there.
Spoiler:
Old 12-16-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
You are over-qualified and the vast majority of hiring managers will think you will bolt quickly once you get bored with EL work. That is why they prefer graduates as they usually stick around longer.

And trust me, you will be very, very bored as EL.

It happened many times like this: apply an EL job Friday night and get rejection email Sunday morning. If all hiring managers are not willing to hire candidates with graduate degree, fearing that they would bolt quickly; then the actuary profession is not open to candidates with PhD.
But many ibanks, I.T companies (e.g Amazon), data science.... are hiring PhD crazy to do some fancy things. They are desperate for innovation. It doesn't look like actuarial profession is following the same path. Maybe they are but I just don't know. Not sure about the long-term impact.

My friend told me to complete FAP to get ASA before the new curriculum kicks in. That's why I come back to this forum.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
by faster, do you mean faster in getting your ASA?

i'm trying to decide between LA and Boston for similar reasons. If I pass FA on the first shot I'd get ASA quicker with LA, but Boston is closer and I can take a train there.
Dallas APC is January, Boston APC in April, so faster in this sense.

I am waiting for result of FA. Hopefully, I can get it before 2018. But you don't need FA to attend APC. You just need Mod 1-5, IA and 5 SOA exams.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Dallas APC is January, Boston APC in April, so faster in this sense.

I am waiting for result of FA. Hopefully, I can get it before 2018. But you don't need FA to attend APC. You just need Mod 1-5, IA and 5 SOA exams.
right, i'm not going to do the Dallas one because I'm planning to take FA in January and not sure exactly which day. Might be during APC. That's why I'm considering LA. It's the furthest possible location from me and still in the US though.
Spoiler:
Old 12-16-2017, 04:29 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
It happened many times like this: apply an EL job Friday night and get rejection email Sunday morning. If all hiring managers are not willing to hire candidates with graduate degree, fearing that they would bolt quickly; then the actuary profession is not open to candidates with PhD.
But many ibanks, I.T companies (e.g Amazon), data science.... are hiring PhD crazy to do some fancy things. They are desperate for innovation. It doesn't look like actuarial profession is following the same path. Maybe they are but I just don't know. Not sure about the long-term impact.

My friend told me to complete FAP to get ASA before the new curriculum kicks in. That's why I come back to this forum.
There is no real upside to an insurance company hiring a person with a Ph. D in order to do EL work.

EL work by its very nature is mostly grunt work (seems that most companies view it as a right of passage which I find very silly), so why hire a guy with a Ph. D? Seems logical to conclude that this person just wants to get the proverbial foot in the door so that he can go somewhere else (and this would cost the company money).

This is the hurdle you essentially have to overcome. I would focus more on technically minded roles in actuarial, as those are the ones you could use your education in right away, and thus provide value to the company. I say this because you will most likely get nowhere in applying for traditional actuarial EL roles.