Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 12-28-2017, 03:18 PM
cowactuary cowactuary is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Studying for FAP
Posts: 105
Default

Do you want to join my team and compete in kaggle? If we win and get recognition from the SOA hopefully somebody will hire you!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-05-2018, 12:11 AM
Climbing Bum's Avatar
Climbing Bum Climbing Bum is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The West
College: Small State School
Favorite beer: Pale Ale
Posts: 301
Default

Wow, so many things in this thread to opine on.

1. You need experience for MAAA and not ASA or FSA
2. OP needs to work on their English
3. I would throw out an EL resume in a heart beat if it was two pages, probably without even reading it.
4. If OPs resume is good they won't need to state that they don't require sponsorship. I never put "I don't require sponsorship on my resume". I doubt people would guess that just by the name.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 AM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 37,116
Default

I disagree with 4. If you went to school in another country, or working in another country, or is English isn't your first language, and you don't need sponsorship, you should state on the resume or cover letter that you don't need sponsorship.

Why risk someone tossing your resume for that reason?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-05-2018, 09:44 AM
LifeIsAPoissonProcess's Avatar
LifeIsAPoissonProcess LifeIsAPoissonProcess is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Studying for 8
Favorite beer: DFH 90Min
Posts: 6,291
Default

Not the APC but the CoP on the CAS side - one of our instructors in a breakout session found out that an attendee was unemployed. The instructor said that any pre-ACAS far enough along in exams to attend the CoP was in too high of demand to be unemployed and to come talk to him if they needed a job.
__________________
Quote:
And you should be the best Actuary not the worst Actuary. - Latitude 30
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-06-2018, 03:14 AM
econfkw econfkw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess View Post
Not the APC but the CoP on the CAS side - one of our instructors in a breakout session found out that an attendee was unemployed. The instructor said that any pre-ACAS far enough along in exams to attend the CoP was in too high of demand to be unemployed and to come talk to him if they needed a job.
Good to hear that. Hope I will be as lucky as that guy.

Regarding the one-page or two page resume debate, I agree with a Forbes article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dailymu.../#d8e8f333544d

Regarding academic resume, there is no length limit. You list all your publications, conference paper accepted, invited presentation, internal positions, membership, media coverage, research grant awarded.......
My resume has been reviewed by a couple recruiting firms including DW Simpson. They told me that two page is fine.

When the companies are recruiting through an academic conference, they have no problem accepting academic resume.

I don't think that it is necessary to put your immigration status on the resume. Almost all online job applications would ask you one question: Will you now or in the near future need visa sponsorship? They will assume that you truthfully answer it. When you answer yes, sometimes the system won't even allow you to proceed.

Last edited by econfkw; 01-06-2018 at 03:19 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 AM
pragmatist pragmatist is offline
Member
CAS Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbing Bum View Post
3. I would throw out an EL resume in a heart beat if it was two pages, probably without even reading it.
I hope you make that clear if/when you advertise any job because EL candidates are not mind readers.

An EL candidate's resume might be 2+ pages long because he/she is a career changer with useful skills and/or because he/she has other accomplishments in addition to a university degree.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-06-2018, 12:39 PM
redearedslider's Avatar
redearedslider redearedslider is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
I hope you make that clear if/when you advertise any job because EL candidates are not mind readers.

An EL candidate's resume might be 2+ pages long because he/she is a career changer with useful skills and/or because he/she has other accomplishments in addition to a university degree.
I disagree. A resume shouldn’t be your life story. Leave something for the interview.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 PM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 37,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
I disagree. A resume shouldn’t be your life story. Leave something for the interview.
EL that uses 2 pages has way too much fluff. Even for a career changer. If your EL resume is longer, you need to learn how to focus on what's important.

Even with lots of experience, you should not put anything really important on the second page.

JMO, of course.
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-06-2018, 03:36 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 37,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
I hope you make that clear if/when you advertise any job because EL candidates are not mind readers.

An EL candidate's resume might be 2+ pages long because he/she is a career changer with useful skills and/or because he/she has other accomplishments in addition to a university degree.
Most people who read EL resumes will consider the second page to be a negative.

I've been in this field more than 20 years, and my actuarial resume is two pages long. But a couple of years ago I applied for a part time teaching position. They didn't care that I started in pensions and now do P&C, nor that I've work pricing and reserving, nor that I've worked with personal and commercial, primary, assumed, and ceded. They didn't care how much money I made for my employer, or how I had improved processes.

No, what I wanted to tell them with my resume was that I'd been responsibly employed all that time, and had supervisory and mentoring roles, and that I'd often been responsible for presenting stuff and training others. My resume for that job was 2/3 of a page (I may have stretched it to cover most of the page). I got the job.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.49899 seconds with 9 queries