Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-28-2017, 03:18 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Do you want to join my team and compete in kaggle? If we win and get recognition from the SOA hopefully somebody will hire you!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:11 AM
SOA

College: Small State School
Favorite beer: Pale Ale

Wow, so many things in this thread to opine on.

1. You need experience for MAAA and not ASA or FSA
2. OP needs to work on their English
3. I would throw out an EL resume in a heart beat if it was two pages, probably without even reading it.
4. If OPs resume is good they won't need to state that they don't require sponsorship. I never put "I don't require sponsorship on my resume". I doubt people would guess that just by the name.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 AM
CAS

I disagree with 4. If you went to school in another country, or working in another country, or is English isn't your first language, and you don't need sponsorship, you should state on the resume or cover letter that you don't need sponsorship.

Why risk someone tossing your resume for that reason?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:44 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: DFH 90Min

Not the APC but the CoP on the CAS side - one of our instructors in a breakout session found out that an attendee was unemployed. The instructor said that any pre-ACAS far enough along in exams to attend the CoP was in too high of demand to be unemployed and to come talk to him if they needed a job.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess View Post
Not the APC but the CoP on the CAS side - one of our instructors in a breakout session found out that an attendee was unemployed. The instructor said that any pre-ACAS far enough along in exams to attend the CoP was in too high of demand to be unemployed and to come talk to him if they needed a job.
Good to hear that. Hope I will be as lucky as that guy.

Regarding the one-page or two page resume debate, I agree with a Forbes article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dailymu.../#d8e8f333544d

Regarding academic resume, there is no length limit. You list all your publications, conference paper accepted, invited presentation, internal positions, membership, media coverage, research grant awarded.......
My resume has been reviewed by a couple recruiting firms including DW Simpson. They told me that two page is fine.

When the companies are recruiting through an academic conference, they have no problem accepting academic resume.

I don't think that it is necessary to put your immigration status on the resume. Almost all online job applications would ask you one question: Will you now or in the near future need visa sponsorship? They will assume that you truthfully answer it. When you answer yes, sometimes the system won't even allow you to proceed.

Last edited by econfkw; 01-06-2018 at 03:19 AM..
Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 AM
CAS Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbing Bum View Post
3. I would throw out an EL resume in a heart beat if it was two pages, probably without even reading it.
I hope you make that clear if/when you advertise any job because EL candidates are not mind readers.

An EL candidate's resume might be 2+ pages long because he/she is a career changer with useful skills and/or because he/she has other accomplishments in addition to a university degree.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
I hope you make that clear if/when you advertise any job because EL candidates are not mind readers.

An EL candidate's resume might be 2+ pages long because he/she is a career changer with useful skills and/or because he/she has other accomplishments in addition to a university degree.
I disagree. A resume shouldn’t be your life story. Leave something for the interview.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
I disagree. A resume shouldn’t be your life story. Leave something for the interview.
EL that uses 2 pages has way too much fluff. Even for a career changer. If your EL resume is longer, you need to learn how to focus on what's important.

Even with lots of experience, you should not put anything really important on the second page.

JMO, of course.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:36 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post

Most people who read EL resumes will consider the second page to be a negative.

I've been in this field more than 20 years, and my actuarial resume is two pages long. But a couple of years ago I applied for a part time teaching position. They didn't care that I started in pensions and now do P&C, nor that I've work pricing and reserving, nor that I've worked with personal and commercial, primary, assumed, and ceded. They didn't care how much money I made for my employer, or how I had improved processes.

No, what I wanted to tell them with my resume was that I'd been responsibly employed all that time, and had supervisory and mentoring roles, and that I'd often been responsible for presenting stuff and training others. My resume for that job was 2/3 of a page (I may have stretched it to cover most of the page). I got the job.