Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 01-04-2018, 08:11 PM
SOA

Default What to expect in End of Year Review + Merit Raises Meeting?

So apparently everybody will be getting one these one-on-one meetings with the Director of the department.

I started work on August 15th, so it has only been 4.5 months for me.

We all submitted a self evaluation form. I scored myself:

3/5
4/5
3/5
N/A
2/5

on several goals set for me by my manager.

During the first 2 months or so I was well above average, at least on the technical side. But as the days go by the job has become more and more underwhelming and my lack of enthusiasm is apparent. Although that could just be considered your typical introverted programmer type personality. I am now a glorified data processor. The director has to keep reminding me that we will be automating all of these data processes every soon, and that this position will soon be a "true" DevOps position. I know that he knows that I'm bored, because that's what he told me during our interview before I was hired.

Also, I do not fit in with the company culture. They always have these excuses to go out and drink beers and eat at restaurants. I never go to them because of my diet.

So, what can I expect given all this?

Last edited by kingofants; 01-04-2018 at 08:15 PM..
Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

At 4.5 months experience, you'll just get a "good job. focus on this now" by every manager.

At any performance review, nothing should be very surprising - assuming you have a good manager.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:27 PM

i would never rate myself a 2/5 even if i thought that's what i deserved.
Spoiler:
Old 01-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

mostly, this will likely be about goals for this year. You're likely not eligible for the "annual raise" until after your 1st anniversary.

Basically, talk about how you see this "automation" thing to go, have ideas of items you want to automate, and how you'll improve the current process beyond what it does now. Make it about what you would like to see, what you can contribute.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...0&postcount=10 So does Westley!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofants View Post
Also, I do not fit in with the company culture. They always have these excuses to go out and drink beers and eat at restaurants. I never go to them because of my diet.
While that may seem like it matters, there's plenty of ways to "fit in" and be a part of the team that don't involve going out with the team. Probably worth putting some effort in on that front, although you also don't want to be the guy that "tries too hard".

If it's a well-run team, that's not going to be a big part of the review anyway.

Agree with Shivam that there won't be a lot of feedback because you're new. Would recommend that you don't let them wait a full year before giving feedback - ask if the next one is in six months or when to expect it. Honestly should be quarterly for EL IMO.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
While that may seem like it matters, there's plenty of ways to "fit in" and be a part of the team that don't involve going out with the team. Probably worth putting some effort in on that front, although you also don't want to be the guy that "tries too hard".

If it's a well-run team, that's not going to be a big part of the review anyway.

Agree with Shivam that there won't be a lot of feedback because you're new. Would recommend that you don't let them wait a full year before giving feedback - ask if the next one is in six months or when to expect it. Honestly should be quarterly for EL IMO.
I think I do have quarterly feedback. As a matter of fact I have already gotten two of those; the last one being just a few days ago.

That's not the same thing because it has always been with my manager. This end of year review will be with the Director whom I rarely ever speak or work with. I don't think he knows much about my performance other than what my manager tells him when he is reporting to him.

So this is why this isn't just about feedback because I don't think he can actually give me any.

If I don't get any raise then I'll be extremely disappointed, because he introduced this end of year merit raise twice already in team meetings and introduced it in such a way that everybody in the room should be expecting one.

Last edited by kingofants; 01-04-2018 at 10:19 PM..
Old 01-04-2018, 10:37 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

In my experience, I have rarely seen people receive performance/merit increases after less than six months of employment.

I would not expect anything if I was you

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 01-04-2018, 10:51 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Expect that the decision on merit increase has already been made, it's not a negotiation, it's you being told what the answer is.

If you don't make an effort to be social with coworkers you will be the first one let go in the case of lay-offs because you're not seen as a team player. Make the effort to go sometimes. Drink a whiskey neat, you'll look boss getting a whiskey neat.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:51 PM
SOA

A) you have no opportunity to improve the way you do your job at present???
B) go to at least half of the dinners, don't eat if you cant, have a glass of water if that's the only thing you could have, and just be friendly. Why not be friendly to your coworkers and make them feel better about working with you?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

So, this chat is a really a "how are you doing, this is what your manager tells me, where do you want to go from here" conversation. You can probably steer this chat a bit, as long has he gets across what he wants to. Chance to impress him, show him you've though about your career and where you see yourself contributing in the role you currently have (data processor), and the next role you aspire (DevOps).

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...0&postcount=10 So does Westley!