Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM
SOA

College: Florida State University Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modigliani-Miller View Post
The solution uses the testing data AUC value to compare the logit and probit link functions. To me, this is cheating. You're not supposed to use the performance on testing dataset for model selection!!!

I would just compare the model AIC from training data. Do you guys agree?
I'd like to piggyback off this. Some solutions only use test sets and some use training and testing sets for comparing the models. Is there a time you should use both and a time you use only the test set? Or does it not matter as long as you justify?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM
SOA

College: Illinois State University
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalapoo View Post
I'd like to piggyback off this. Some solutions only use test sets and some use training and testing sets for comparing the models. Is there a time you should use both and a time you use only the test set? Or does it not matter as long as you justify?
The SOA only re-runs the entire dataset on GLMs to get final coefficient values. I don't think we have a general consensus on tree-based models. I personally don't think you should re-train a tree-based model on the entire dataset because then this results in (most likely) different splits being made and a whole new model.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 PM
SOA

College: Florida State University Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeenasaurus View Post
The SOA only re-runs the entire dataset on GLMs to get final coefficient values. I don't think we have a general consensus on tree-based models. I personally don't think you should re-train a tree-based model on the entire dataset because then this results in (most likely) different splits being made and a whole new model.
I wasn't really referring to rerunning on the full dataset. I meant sometimes they will display the model performance on both the testing and training data using loglikelihood, sse, etc. However, other times, they'll just display the results from the testing data.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:12 PM
SOA

I wonder if any of you have done the modeling without realizing there's some but not strong evidence to show race and gender should have interaction effect from the plot function provided. I feel there's not enough time to do all those tasks in the solution even if the solution was not designed to complete in 5 hours.

The extra cleaning and modeling that interaction brings make training and testing sets get updated more times.

What main things from the solution you will keep besides mandatory modeling tasks to ensure your task gets done in 5 hours?

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:54 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: USC
Favorite beer: Vodka
Default Task 5 - Confusion Matrix

Question, in the confusion matrix, inside the factor line, it has (1*(predslogit>0.8) and in the solution, the 0.8 is changed to 0.5. Can someone explain what the predslogit is? The help window in R doesn't have any information on this.

Edit: Nevermind total brain fart lol, just saw it was the predication variable

Last edited by Rankik; 06-12-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 PM
SOA

College: RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankik View Post
Question, in the confusion matrix, inside the factor line, it has (1*(predslogit>0.8) and in the solution, the 0.8 is changed to 0.5. Can someone explain what the predslogit is? The help window in R doesn't have any information on this.
two lines above
predslogit <- predict(glmlogit,newdata=test,type="response")

predicted probabilities for the testing data set
Old 06-12-2019, 08:07 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankik View Post
it's a variable created before:
predslogit <- predict(glmlogit,newdat=test,type="response")
Old 06-12-2019, 08:11 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: USC
Favorite beer: Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZHOU View Post
two lines above
predslogit <- predict(glmlogit,newdata=test,type="response")

predicted probabilities for the testing data set
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveexams06 View Post
it's a variable created before:
predslogit <- predict(glmlogit,newdat=test,type="response")
Thank you, I realized that as I was doing Task 6 lol. God I can't wait for this thing to be over
Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 PM
SOA

College: RPI

Last paragraph in Task 7 solution, SOA said " A reasonable additional step here would be to note that the coefficients of DRGOtherSURG and DRGOtherMED are similar. There may be improvement by combining them into a single factor level."

What's single factor level that we should create? Only combine these two or also combine the rest DRG levels except for the base level?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZHOU View Post
Last paragraph in Task 7 solution, SOA said " A reasonable additional step here would be to note that the coefficients of DRGOtherSURG and DRGOtherMED are similar. There may be improvement by combining them into a single factor level."

What's single factor level that we should create? Only combine these two or also combine the rest DRG levels except for the base level?
I think that means creating a new variable to flag whether the observation is in DRGOtherSURG or DRGOtherMED. I did this and it improved the accuracy a little.