Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #6771  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Take 2's Avatar
Take 2 Take 2 is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: second estate
Favorite beer: Hires Root
Posts: 5,399
Default

Aladdin = Will Smith
__________________
there is no situation so bad that
getting upset won't make it worse
Reply With Quote
  #6772  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Sredni Vashtar's Avatar
Sredni Vashtar Sredni Vashtar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Favorite beer: pilseners
Posts: 8,691
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Inside Out, Pixar. 4/5?

It's the story about the psyche of a young girl having a mini-breakdown after moving to SF. The main cast is her personified emotions, controlling her brain. It's particularly focused on Joy, who dominates the group and tries to make sure all her "core memories" are positive. But during the real-life stressful period, Joy isn't really able to keep Sadness down, and there's a malfunction that effectively banishes them to another part of the brain.

Then it's a sort of buddy film, with Joy and Sadness exploring the mind and trying to get back. And meanwhile Anger/Disgust/Fear unintentionally cause the girl to make lots of bad choices, and further destroying her personality.

Being Pixar, it's mostly feels and well-executed dumb jokes.

But I gotta say, turning a psychology metaphor into a feature length film is just plain awesome.
__________________
L’humour est la politesse du désespoir

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 06-13-2019 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6773  
Old 06-13-2019, 01:01 PM
kazh's Avatar
kazh kazh is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: a long nap
Favorite beer: A & W Root
Posts: 5,425
Default

Dark Phoenix
__________________
awake again
Reply With Quote
  #6774  
Old 06-13-2019, 01:13 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 97,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Inside Out, Pixar. 4/5?

It's the story about the psyche of a young girl having a mini-breakdown after moving to SF. The main cast is her personified emotions, controlling her brain. It's particularly focused on Joy, who dominates the group and tries to make sure all her "core memories" are positive. But during the real-life stressful period, Joy isn't really able to keep Sadness down, and there's a malfunction that effectively banishes them to another part of the brain.

Then it's a sort of buddy film, with Joy and Sadness exploring the mind and trying to get back. And meanwhile Anger/Disgust/Fear unintentionally cause the girl to make lots of bad choices, and further destroying her personality.

Being Pixar, it's mostly feels and well-executed dumb jokes.

But I gotta say, turning a psychology metaphor into a feature length film is just plain awesome.
Great movie. Very well "drawn" and written and executed.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Reply With Quote
  #6775  
Old 06-13-2019, 08:55 PM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 89,859
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Big Man Japan (2007)

faux-documentary about Japanese guy who sizes up (w/ the help of electricity) to battle the giant monsters that plague Japan. He comes from a long line of men who have done this.

Alas, the Daigaiju don't harass Japan as often as in his grandfather's day, and he is resented and low-paid as a hero.
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
  #6776  
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Vorian Atreides's Avatar
Vorian Atreides Vorian Atreides is offline
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: As far as 3 cups of sugar will take you
Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers
Posts: 66,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Big Man Japan (2007)

faux-documentary about Japanese guy who sizes up (w/ the help of electricity) to battle the giant monsters that plague Japan. He comes from a long line of men who have done this.

Alas, the Daigaiju don't harass Japan as often as in his grandfather's day, and he is resented and low-paid as a hero.
Sound like it might be redone as Pacific Rim 3.
__________________
I find your lack of faith disturbing

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!


Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Reply With Quote
  #6777  
Old 06-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Sredni Vashtar's Avatar
Sredni Vashtar Sredni Vashtar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Favorite beer: pilseners
Posts: 8,691
Blog Entries: 1
Default

The Land Before Time, Bambi, Big Hero 6, Inside Out, Batman Begins...

I was worried that Batman would be too dark/violent/gory whatever. But the real problem is that DEATH OF A LOVED ONE is a major story-line in every goddamn movie.

Baby is probably expecting Mrs. V and me to get eaten by a T-Rex any moment now.
__________________
L’humour est la politesse du désespoir
Reply With Quote
  #6778  
Old 06-14-2019, 11:57 AM
vjvj's Avatar
vjvj vjvj is offline
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IL
Studying for MFE
Posts: 7,725
Default

The Shape of Water (2017)

Not great, but unusual and very entertaining.
__________________
.
PLEASE SUPPORT CHILDREN'S CANCER RESEARCH

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Reply With Quote
  #6779  
Old 06-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Vorian Atreides's Avatar
Vorian Atreides Vorian Atreides is offline
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: As far as 3 cups of sugar will take you
Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers
Posts: 66,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
The Land Before Time, Bambi, Big Hero 6, Inside Out, Batman Begins...

I was worried that Batman would be too dark/violent/gory whatever. But the real problem is that DEATH OF A LOVED ONE is a major story-line in every goddamn movie.

Baby is probably expecting Mrs. V and me to get eaten by a T-Rex any moment now.
I think only Mrs. V runs the risk of getting shot by a hunter . . .
__________________
I find your lack of faith disturbing

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!


Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Reply With Quote
  #6780  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:37 PM
Take 2's Avatar
Take 2 Take 2 is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: second estate
Favorite beer: Hires Root
Posts: 5,399
Talking With Wife2

Dark Phoenix
__________________
there is no situation so bad that
getting upset won't make it worse
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.64615 seconds with 12 queries