Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 12-05-2018, 11:39 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Beavertown Gamma Ray (UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
Good Morning! Does anyone remember at about what time the SOA will be sending the pass/fail text messages on Friday?
Trying to prepare myself.

Thank you.
Passing numbers are posted on the SOA site at 10am EST, but my last two results texts rang in at 10:20 and 10:40, so safe to say you should know by 11 EST if you aren't checking the site.
FAC
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C

Anymore clarity on # of pilot questions, or # out of 35 correct for a confident pass?

I know I know I shouldn't dwell on it, only 48 hours to go.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C
Favorite beer: Polygamy Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The412Kid View Post
Passing numbers are posted on the SOA site at 10am EST, but my last two results texts rang in at 10:20 and 10:40, so safe to say you should know by 11 EST if you aren't checking the site.
Thank you. This is helpful. i'm somewhat dreading this.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:26 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoss716 View Post
Anymore clarity on # of pilot questions, or # out of 35 correct for a confident pass?

I know I know I shouldn't dwell on it, only 48 hours to go.
Don't know how many pilot questions there are, SOA said in the syllabus that there are "a few." So we'll see....
Old 12-06-2018, 12:24 PM
SOA

I think is this case, they are going to decide on how many pilots after they review the results of the new material. Poor performance = more pilots.

I would say 25 out of 35 is needed to confidently assume a pass. If there end up being 3 pilots then I would say 23/32. It would be unfortunate if you answered all the pilots correctly and they did not count.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 PM
SOA

College: Bentley University (Class of 2019ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
I think is this case, they are going to decide on how many pilots after they review the results of the new material. Poor performance = more pilots.

I would say 25 out of 35 is needed to confidently assume a pass. If there end up being 3 pilots then I would say 23/32. It would be unfortunate if you answered all the pilots correctly and they did not count.
Sorry if I'm being dumb and misunderstanding, but wouldn't pilots have to be decided before they're put on an exam? Aren't pilot questions new questions that they only put on to gauge their difficulty?

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks
Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingRocks View Post
Sorry if I'm being dumb and misunderstanding, but wouldn't pilots have to be decided before they're put on an exam? Aren't pilot questions new questions that they only put on to gauge their difficulty?
I think it's a little bit of both. Probably have initial pilot questions set on the exam, and then if there's a non-pilot question that's extremely hard/defective problem/not many students get correct, then they'd consider that question pilot as well. Just a guess.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
I think it's a little bit of both. Probably have initial pilot questions set on the exam, and then if there's a non-pilot question that's extremely hard/defective problem/not many students get correct, then they'd consider that question pilot as well. Just a guess.
This is also the first sitting of an exam where approximately 30% of it is new material. So they have no idea how candidates are going to perform on these questions. Maybe they planned on each exam having three pilots but it turned out that candidates under performed on the new material so they increased the pilots. This is just pure speculation.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam C
Favorite beer: Polygamy Porter

The concept of 'some exams are harder than others' does not sit 100% squarely with me. What is a difficult concept or problem for one person may not be a difficult concept or problem for another. Everyone has different strengths. And each person has their own approach and focus of what to study and how intensely to study that subject matter.

Also, deciding 'after the fact' to throw out questions because not many people did well on them does not sit well with me either. If you happened to have gotten that difficult question correct and needed it to pass, then you are at a disadvantage.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM
SOA

College: Bentley University (Class of 2019ish)

Just got the text. Passed! Good luck to all of you in waiting! I'll see you guys in the LTAM threads!

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks