Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-14-2017, 01:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
sounds like you recovered well and saved the situ
Sort of. I'm sure their food was cold. I should have stopped it before it go to that point. I saw the problem and let it continue. Lesson learned.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by working girl View Post
So this is a tangent off this post.

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...nterview+lunch

So, I went to an interview with a large insurance company, and the interview was scheduled from 10-2 with no lunch break. I asked the scheduler and they said one wasn't built in. I ended up with the hiring manager at lunch time and they asked if I was hungry and did I want to go to lunch. We went somewhere where they have pre-made sandwiches and salads. The hiring manager said the company practice didn't pay for lunches, and then the hiring manager didn't even buy my lunch for me. It was <$10 so no big deal out of pocket.

It's been a while since I interviewed. Is this the norm these days? I don't think so, but I feel like even if I am offered the position, this is a huge red flag. Other than that, I really liked everything I heard.
Geico is the best.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
yeah that one sucks, but what would you do if there are no restaurants in the area? Ask someone to bring you different lunch?
Get lunch delivered for the candidate plus 2-3 of your people and have it in a conference room. Totally fine as long as the candidate can put in their order in advance. I've gotten this treatment at a few places actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
My old company did commit one of these lunch interview faux pas one time. We took them to a decent place and paid and all that. The problem is that being the interviewer to get a free lunch had become quite popular. So there were 3 people for each of the two interviewees we had that day. At some point we all agree to go together, table of 8, 2 candidates who know there is only one job and SIX people firing questions at them. I thought it would be a lighter, getting to know you session but certain people there were asking tough questions, behavioral questions, technology questions. It was a real mess. The one guy kept trying to take a bite but he couldn't fit it in between answers and the other person kept trying to one-up him.

I ended up having to kick everyone out and rearrange the rest of the interview schedule so these poor people could actually eat. I really dropped the ball that day.
It was probably mortifying for the candidates, but this is comedy gold. These things are exactly why HR puts in rules for interviewing. You can thank your technically brilliant but socially incompetent brethren for some of the red tape.

For a "how to" on the interview lunch, my first chief actuary deserves a shout out for emphasizing the no business at lunch rule when I interviewed. Seriously, someone asked me a work related question and he cut me off before I could answer. At that moment, I wanted the job more than anything in the world.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
For a "how to" on the interview lunch, my first chief actuary deserves a shout out for emphasizing the no business at lunch rule when I interviewed. Seriously, someone asked me a work related question and he cut me off before I could answer. At that moment, I wanted the job more than anything in the world.
I nominate this post for the "Why do you want to work here?" thread.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Sep 18, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
It would be rude to turn them down rudely. Try not to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
Complementing your technical skills with social skills - whatever they are - will help your career. This is not a sign that the world is unjust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 PM
SOA AAA

I once had an interview in Texas where they delivered in the local BBQ.

I was impressed, except for the pickles.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 PM
CAS SOA

College: Clemson University

Was it Travelers?
Old 09-21-2017, 02:27 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilekOyote View Post
I have interviewed people that "let loose" a bit too much at lunch and destroyed their chances at the job.
Go on
Old 09-21-2017, 02:53 PM
SOA

This has happened to me before. I had a 45 min break in between 8 interviews, during the usual lunch hour, and no one came to get me. I went and asked the admin and the response was that I was free to go and get lunch. The whole interview seemed a bit disorganized tbh - my first interviewer was 15 minutes late.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Oh, and agree that it's a red flag, but if you really did a full interview and liked everything else.... lots of good companies just have some goofy policy that makes no sense because somebody in HR had some hot-button issue that they thought they should make a rule about.
This, but even more so.

Sure this is not a plus for the company. There might be lots of reasons, even reasons that are positives. Maybe they don't have a good policy because they aren't interviewing anybody right now, but your future boss wants you so much they are bending the rules to get you the interview.

At worst, this is a dumb HR policy. if you like the people, like the job, you need a job and it's in your town - take this job!