Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

View Poll Results: What is the best way to learn VBA?
Book 109 35.97%
Help 48 15.84%
Internet 152 50.17%
Macro Recorder 115 37.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #91  
Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 AM
chan_a chan_a is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Microsoft has a very comprehensive VBA site. Take a look.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/office/ff688774.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 PM
bensonby2 bensonby2 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
College: The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Posts: 92
Default

There are lots of ways to learn VBA.

But to learn VBA well (and write good programs), I suggest learning another modern programming language first - having OOP and functional programming feature. It gives more solid programming concepts so you will be able to write VBA well.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 11-09-2014, 06:49 PM
actuary21c actuary21c is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Studying for double bass & jazz piano
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonby2 View Post
There are lots of ways to learn VBA.

But to learn VBA well (and write good programs), I suggest learning another modern programming language first - having OOP and functional programming feature. It gives more solid programming concepts so you will be able to write VBA well.
__________________
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
a21c is one of the better posters on the AO. That's not saying he's good.

UK software developer, actuary, musician, atheist. All posts in a personal capacity (unless explicitly stated otherwise in the post).
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-10-2014, 05:14 AM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 84,177
Blog Entries: 6
Default

I saw someone make a similar answer on Quora recently, and their advice was to learn C++ as a language, as it underlies so many other modern languages, gives you object-oriented programming experience, and, besides, there are so many great resources for C/C++
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 11-10-2014, 07:12 AM
actuary21c actuary21c is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Studying for double bass & jazz piano
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I saw someone make a similar answer on Quora recently, and their advice was to learn C++ as a language, as it underlies so many other modern languages, gives you object-oriented programming experience, and, besides, there are so many great resources for C/C++
I wrote a lot in C++ before .net and C# came along. C++ is horrible to use because it requires (or at least it did the last time I looked at it) at least 2 files (a header and a body file) for each class. As I'm an object oriented developer, I create lots of classes, some of which are quite small. In C++ I would need hundreds of files, whereas in C# I only need one bit of code for each class, and I can put as many classes as I like into a single file. I end up with only about 5-10 files in C#, where I separate classes into different files for convenience/ease of classification rather than because the languages compels me to.

Bottom line for me: I choose C# over C++ every time. C++ is supposed to give you an extra 5% or so of performance but that's only if you want to use dirty, raw code (including pointers which are marked as unsafe in .net because you're on your own with memory management). Much better imho to write code in C# and then if you really need extra performance, optimise just the slowest bit (you can write that in C++ if you need to, but again there are probably other ways of optimising your first go with C# code).
__________________
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
a21c is one of the better posters on the AO. That's not saying he's good.

UK software developer, actuary, musician, atheist. All posts in a personal capacity (unless explicitly stated otherwise in the post).
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 11-10-2014, 07:30 AM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 84,177
Blog Entries: 6
Default

I didn't say -use- C++ for anything real. Just learn it.

I don't use Lisp for anything, either, but learning it helped me think through some algorithmic stuff.
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 AM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 84,177
Blog Entries: 6
Default

This is the analogy I forgot to mention: as the original answer said, if you want to learn/use Romance languages more deeply, learn Latin.

It's not that you're going to read or write in Latin for anything useful, but that it gives you a deeper understanding of the individual languages (and how they differ)
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 11-10-2014, 08:22 AM
actuary21c actuary21c is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Studying for double bass & jazz piano
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
This is the analogy I forgot to mention: as the original answer said, if you want to learn/use Romance languages more deeply, learn Latin.

It's not that you're going to read or write in Latin for anything useful, but that it gives you a deeper understanding of the individual languages (and how they differ)
Good point, but imo it's still better to learn C# than C++: C++ has a lot of unnecessary overhead (header files, body files, interface definition language files) that really isn't needed to help someone learn good object oriented programming techniques. Microsoft did after all design C# as an improvement on both C++ and VB
__________________
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
a21c is one of the better posters on the AO. That's not saying he's good.

UK software developer, actuary, musician, atheist. All posts in a personal capacity (unless explicitly stated otherwise in the post).
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 AM
AvidLearner AvidLearner is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 259
Default

Googling and figuring things out on your own.

Programming was always quite intuitive to me, and to most actuaries I know.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 11-10-2014, 09:47 AM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 84,177
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidLearner View Post
Googling and figuring things out on your own.

Programming was always quite intuitive to me, and to most actuaries I know.
Unfortunately, too many "intuitive" learners have just a mess for code, because they never learned it with any kind of discipline.
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.27381 seconds with 10 queries