Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-06-2020, 07:54 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatoneactuarialguy View Post
For those using the Spring 2020 ACTEX reviewer, how do you find it? I heard that you don't need to run through the Modules if you have this reviewer?
I have heard this, but I don't think skipping the modules entirely is a great tactic 3 months out. I will be skimming the modules and taking notes, then spending most time using the manual and doing practice exams.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:37 AM
SOA

College: Wharton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baesian View Post
I have heard this, but I don't think skipping the modules entirely is a great tactic 3 months out. I will be skimming the modules and taking notes, then spending most time using the manual and doing practice exams.
The modules are mostly filled with background information and content on communication - they're not hard to read. You can get through it all in a couple of hours if you really want to.

The Predictive Partners video lectures cover all the content you'll need to know to pass the exam and provide very valuable insights into how to create a bullet proof executive summary, how to pull out insights from your modeling, and how to communicate your results effectively. We're confident this is the fastest way to study for the exam, by far. We also have bundles that include the ACTEX manual!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:27 AM
SOA

College: University of Florida Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH View Post
The modules are mostly filled with background information and content on communication - they're not hard to read. You can get through it all in a couple of hours if you really want to.

The Predictive Partners video lectures cover all the content you'll need to know to pass the exam and provide very valuable insights into how to create a bullet proof executive summary, how to pull out insights from your modeling, and how to communicate your results effectively. We're confident this is the fastest way to study for the exam, by far. We also have bundles that include the ACTEX manual!
So I bought the manual a couple weeks ago just before you guys released your video lectures. Can I buy just the video lectures since I already have the manual?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm blind. Just saw you can buy them without the manual on the actex website.

Last edited by TBG214; 03-06-2020 at 09:33 AM..
Old 03-06-2020, 09:41 AM
SOA

College: University of Connecticut
Default Free Study Material

To anyone taking Spring PA, I passed in December and thought I'd share some free study material I used that I found super helpful: https://www.dataschool.io/15-hours-o...arning-videos/. The labs are very hands on, and the videos line up very well with the syllabus. Good luck to all!
APC
Old 03-06-2020, 10:59 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG214 View Post
So I bought the manual a couple weeks ago just before you guys released your video lectures. Can I buy just the video lectures since I already have the manual?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm blind. Just saw you can buy them without the manual on the actex website.
You can do either! If you call the bookstore, they can upgrade you, which will save you $50 in the bundle. Or as you said, you can simply buy as a separate purchase.

Regards,
Alex
Old 03-06-2020, 12:05 PM
SOA

Studying for PA

Just wanted to share my experience preparing for the December 2019 exam in case it is helpful for others. I went in with no prior R knowledge and I did not take SRM. I used the modules and suggested readings to prepare. The modules spend a lot of time focusing on topics that aren't that important, but after you sift through that, there is some helpful content there. I found that doing the old exams (except December 2018) and reading the SOA solutions was very helpful. ISLR was also helpful. It sounds like many found Actex helpful, but I personally did not use it to prepare. I studied for about 240 hours total. Ultimately I passed with a 10. My suggestion would be to focus on reading and editing code. Don't worry too much about how to make fancy/good looking visuals. Being able to communicate well and being able to explain the pros/cons of the model/technique you are using and why the model you are using is the best choice (in the context of the problem) is important.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:00 PM
SOA

Does anyone know if it's a waste of time to study for June's sitting considering risks of it being cancelled?
Old 03-17-2020, 06:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovChains View Post
Does anyone know if it's a waste of time to study for June's sitting considering risks of it being cancelled?
Undoubtedly the answer to this will vary for each person. The state of the world is uncertain and continues to change day by day.

At this point in time, the primary goal of these social distancing policies is to slow the spread of COVID-19. One of the largest reasons for doing that is to not over-tax the US healthcare system all at once. A large flaw at the moment is that reliable testing isn't available, but the CDC has finally granted special exemptions for private companies to rapidly develop the necessary tests.

In 3 months time, I would hope that the spread is under control and testing is available and accurate. If that's the case, I would think the exam would be administered. If it is not, then the exam will most likely be moved, but probably not cancelled. That means it could still be worth studying for it rather than waiting until December...and who knows - if the June exam is moved, perhaps the December one would also be pushed back to accommodate the rescheduling and you'd be waiting even longer.

Hope that helps you start to evaluate your own specific situation and needs. There is no right answer here.

Regards,
Alex